Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Don't forget to bring _____

Don't forget to bring _____

Old Dec 13th 2009, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

bakergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Don't forget to bring _____

Hi, All -
Our family is on the countdown to our move to Barbados. We leave from the States in just a few weeks. We've heard of a couple of items that are good to bring down in bulk (sunblock, bug spray, coffee, laundry detergent), but we're wondering if YOU have any items which you'd recommend we bring. Which items do you stock up on when you're away from Barbados since they are unavailable or very expensive on the island?

Thanks!
Bakergirl
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

RAZZMATAZZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Don't forget to bring _____

Hi Bakergirl, Quality clothes, quality food,periodicals,cars,water,electricity,but seriously forget bringing sunblock and bugspray in bulk as the saving may be negligable. Coffee may be more expensive in Barbados vis a vis US,but if you are coming for any length of time,bringing a few jars or packets is not going to save a fortune.Many brands of washing powder here,and if you're not too fussy are relatively inexpensive. The main 'commodity' to stock up on is money.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/smile.gif
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:30 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Out of your short list, I would for sure say Sunblock and Coffee. I actually found some Panama Jack Sunblock on the island, in a little pharmacy, the other day for about 20.00bbd (10.00usd) for a regular size bottle. my family prefers BullFrog, which we can only get in the US.. and that's not cheap there either, so everytime we go back for a holiday we stock up. Coffee is the other thing.. not cheap hear at all.. so when the hubby travels on business he always stock up. ink cartridges for your computer printer, if you have one.. photo paper, if you print them on your own.. (I've stocked up on this item over the years and have several packages sitting under my desk)..

if this is something you plan to put in your container, as a first shipment of things, I'd say Olive Oil, paper towel, coffee, sunblock, laundry detergent, just to name a few things.. These are all items you can purchase here, but not cheap.

I'm sure others will chime in with their list of things, and if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:25 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Remember sunblock has a shelf life tho and for some reason my coffee always dries up really quick here

Another suggestion is "monthly" stuff - its real expensive here about 3 times as much as I pay in the uk for liners and tampax etc

Shampoo and conditioner aint cheap here and nor are batteries or anything related to computers