Dogs and quarantine

Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Auroramom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dogs and quarantine

Does anyone know if dogs coming into BB from Canada have to go through a period of quarantine? Someone told me that, if you send the dog via the UK, you can skip the quarantine period but, from what I'm reading on other threads, it looks to me like dogs from the UK also undergo quarantine. Can't see my kids being happy without their beloved furry buddy for six months!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dogs and quarantine

I know all about this, as I was hoping to move my cat here when we moved here.

You can skip the quarantine period, BUT there are conditions:

1. You can import the animal under the PETS scheme. This requires you to start the process about 7 months before the animal leaves Canada. (things included in the process are micro-chipping, rabies shots and lab tests)

2. You must fly the animal via UK to Barbados. There is no way around that

3. The animal must be cleared by the head-honcho vet person here in Barbados.

You can see that the process takes just as long, but the animal is not in quarantine. I have left out some of the details as you can research them yourself by looking up the PETS scheme.

The biggest downfall is that the animal still has to travel to the UK. Animals are not permitted into Barbados directly from Canada. This makes it a very long trip for the animal.

Good luck.
Foxy
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again, Foxy. If I could sit our dog down and discuss the pros and cons, I think that right now he'd actually go for the long-haul flight to BB via UK. We're up to our ears in snow!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Haha, I know. I just got back from Canada. Not at all sad to leave the snow!

Zanne actually got her cat imported here from the US, and he was in quarantine in UK for the 6 months. She will probably log on sometime soon and tell you about it. I remember her saying how well looked-after he was.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Hi Auroramom...Foxy, I was just beginning to forget the torment of sending my poor Lui to the UK Hehehe. Just kidding...

No, foxy is correct if you send your animal to the UK the quarantine system is pretty good. I can recommend a facility if you need one, but I would stick with ones that are not in the London area as they are more $$$, and with one that is operated by a family, etc. In the end of the day you can ask for quotes from as many of them as you want, when you see the quotes you can tell which ones are going to drive the price up with extras like heating the kennel, etc. The one that we used was great, and we didn't pay a dime more than the original quote even though the cat stayed an additional month due to difficulties getting a flight to BB.

There is a thread where I explained the costs involved and the steps in BB, honestly that was the most stressful part. My cat loved the UK, he told me himself and when he got out of the box at BGI he remembered us, and even my husband that he hadn't seen in a year and a 1/2 instantly.

HTH!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zanne
Hi Auroramom...Foxy, I was just beginning to forget the torment of sending my poor Lui to the UK Hehehe. Just kidding...

No, foxy is correct if you send your animal to the UK the quarantine system is pretty good. I can recommend a facility if you need one, but I would stick with ones that are not in the London area as they are more $$$, and with one that is operated by a family, etc. In the end of the day you can ask for quotes from as many of them as you want, when you see the quotes you can tell which ones are going to drive the price up with extras like heating the kennel, etc. The one that we used was great, and we didn't pay a dime more than the original quote even though the cat stayed an additional month due to difficulties getting a flight to BB.

There is a thread where I explained the costs involved and the steps in BB, honestly that was the most stressful part. My cat loved the UK, he told me himself and when he got out of the box at BGI he remembered us, and even my husband that he hadn't seen in a year and a 1/2 instantly.

HTH!
Thanks for the info, Zanne. Hope I'm not being dense here but, why did your cat have to undergo quarantine in the UK? I thought you could skip the quarantine and get the pet flown from the US to UK to BB, as long as you use PETS. My kids will be heartbroken if their pooch is sent on a six month vacation!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Not enough time...