cost of living in barbados

Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:49 am
Just Joined

italbajan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: cost of living in barbados

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Barbados. We are looking to purchase an existing restaurant/bar. My husband's parents were born in Barbados and he has applied for his citizenship. How much do you need per month to live comfortably in Barbados?

What is the price of:

- Gas (for home and car)
- Home, health and car insurance
-Home and cell phone
-Internet
- Car payments
- Electricity and water
- Renting, do the units come furnished and include water and electricity?

Is it better to rent or buy?

Where is a good site to look for employment?

Should we bring all our items over from Canada (i.e fridge, stove, car, etc...) or buy in Barbados?

I have many questions... sorry...

does anyone have any advice???

italbajan
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:40 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by italbajan
Hi,

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Barbados. We are looking to purchase an existing restaurant/bar. My husband's parents were born in Barbados and he has applied for his citizenship. How much do you need per month to live comfortably in Barbados?

What is the price of:

- Gas (for home and car)
- Home, health and car insurance
-Home and cell phone
-Internet
- Car payments
- Electricity and water
- Renting, do the units come furnished and include water and electricity?

Is it better to rent or buy?

Where is a good site to look for employment?

Should we bring all our items over from Canada (i.e fridge, stove, car, etc...) or buy in Barbados?

I have many questions... sorry...

does anyone have any advice???

italbajan

Hi Ital

Welcome - Just to let you know all of your questions have been answered numerous times on this and other threads so it would probably be good for you to read through some of the old threads which are going to have many of the answers to your questions.

Dipidy
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:01 am
Just Joined

I checked out some of the posts on this site. I went on the website to check out the tariffs for electricity. Is it possible it costs close $1500/month for electricity? I must have done something wrong.... Is $6000 BBD per month enough to live a comfortable life in Barbados?

italbajan
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:14 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I checked out some of the posts on this site. I went on the website to check out the tariffs for electricity. Is it possible it costs close $1500/month for electricity? I must have done something wrong.... Is $6000 BBD per month enough to live a comfortable life in Barbados?

italbajan
Re the Electricity, I would hope not, but I'm guessing it depends on what you have plugged up in your home.

I would like to think that that amount would be fine for one months living in Barbados.

by the way.. saw an advert in the Nation Newpaper for a restaurant for sale on the south coast. Check the Nation on line www.nationnews.com and see if it's listed.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:57 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

italbajan
I have a 3 bed house with normal appliances with tvs dvds and fans and get an electricity bill of between 50-80 BDS $ a month ( I also work from home)

So unless you got a mansion with air con in every room or are running a weed factory from ya office i guess that calculation is a little high lol

Dipidy
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

that's what I thought... I did something wrong. I'll check again. the only thing different was the air conditioning that added.

why is the food so expensive? I know it has to do with importing most items, but many islands have to import and I've never seen their price of food as high as it is in Barbados.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Because they can

Duty is high here, and we are further east than the other islands, so it gets expensive.

Barbados is also a more affluent island than many others, so a lot of people can afford the higher prices. Doesn't make it right.

However buying locally is completely reasonable in terms of pricing, not to mention fresh and yummy!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

I agree. Bajan food is scrumptous. I was introduced to the flavors 15 years ago when I met my husband here in caanda but it didn't compare to the real thing. I was in Barbados there last April and I made a point of staying away from the tourist spots.. my husband's family made sure of it to... fabulous food, enjoyed every minute of it... and we saved a lot of money
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Good on you! That's the way to do it. The touristy stuff is expensive, and often not very Bajan

Another idea: if you get a house with a bit of a yard, start a garden. Zanne is a master gardener, and she has great ideas for ways to make your garden better. I have a little bitty garden growing in my back yard, and it's providing us with lettuce, mini tomatoes and many herbs. I only wish I could make it bigger so we could grow more things!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Good idea!! don't have much of a green thumb...the only thing I was able to keep alive is my bamboo plant... but I'll give it a shot once we settle in.
thanks