Cooking Local fish

Old Feb 27th 2012, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Michael Digby is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Cooking Local fish

Now really excited about coming to stay in Barbados for 6 months every year and want to buy and cook local fish every day. Just for two of us and nothing fancy - can anyone direct me to either a good book or website that explains about local fish, what they are and how to cook them please. Mmmmm can't wait!!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Cooking Local fish

Hi Michael, of my friends that have taken your same path-- all fish all the time-- they seem to have tried just about everything available, depending on the season the available fish will vary, here are my suggestions:

1. Pick a fish market, or if you find yourself free during the day and on the south coast go down to Crystal Waters/ Sandy Beach and befriend Trevor the fisherman, he usually brings in fresh fish right about lunchtime. there are loads of small-time fisherman that do the same. I also go to Oistens, my fish man is on the back by the ice machines the 2nd from the end, a rasta man with glasses, he usually has a green shirt on.

2. Let the fishmonger cut the fish for you, generally the thinner the better. Take the backs you can make an awesome stock or gravy.

3. My favorite fish is kingfish, I never get tired of it. With the exception of Flying Fish any kind that you find can be grilled, fried, broiled, etc.

4. **Disclaimer** Styles and methods will vary! Bajan fried fish as I do it: Rinse the fish, pat dry, put it an bowl with a good bit of coarse salt and a lot of squeezed lime, coat and let it sit for a bit. Bajan Seasoning, I use 'without pepper' once the fish has had enough time in the lime/salt rinse it, pat dry and put it in a clean bowl. Coat well with loads of Bajan Seasoning and allow to marinate. Prepare a few beaten eggs in a shallow bowl. Breadcrumbs, the finer the better the fry. Buy Bajan breadcrumbs, any kind will do. Dredge the marinated fish, Bajan Seasoning and all, in the egg, then coat with breadcrumbs. I use a plastic bag to shake the fish in. Ay! Ever since you should be heating up the oil, almost forgot. Then fry away...

5. Cutters. **Disclaimer** Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding salt bread. My favorite is Salisbury, but I'm also partial to Carter's. These brands are generally available in the supermarket. Lettuce, tomato, mayo, hot sauce, cheese, and fish...heaven.

HTH
Old Feb 28th 2012, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Michael Digby is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Cooking Local fish

Wow! Awesome and yummy - thank you!!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:40 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking Local fish

Not sure why you would cut fish thin.. guess it depends on the type of fish and how you cut it. Hubby just grilled some nice pieces of salmon colored King Fish.. not sure what he put on it, but i'd guess it was some Olive Oil Garlic, onion powder and possibly soy sauce..

I like fish fried and do what has been said by putting it in lime and salt for a little while first (however.. if the fish is sliced then, you will get "cooked fish" before you take it out of that mixture.. I rinse the fish, dip it in an egg/milk mix, then into a breadcrumbs, flour, seasonings (garlic, onion, salt, pepper) mix.. and then in to the pan of hot oil.. not deep, but not shallow either...cook till golden, but don't over cook or it will become tough..