Citizenship By Marriage

Old Mar 1st 2022, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Krissykriss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship By Marriage

Hello

Im wondering if anyone has any recent timeline information for receiving the fee letter? I had my phone interview a week or two ago and they said they would be mailing my fee letter.

just curious so I can stop running to the mailbox everyday lol
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Citizenship By Marriage

All I can remember is the whole process took pretty much 5 years to the day from start to finish.. hope that helps..
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

I think things may have sped up abit in recent times. I submitted beginning of December (on island), had a phone interview (I’m overseas) just over two weeks ago. She said the next step is she would send the fee letter overseas so I’m just wondering roughly how long to wait for that lol
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

That does seem quicker... my phone interview was a few years down the line...

But I am on the island and initially got a three year reside and work permit once I started the application process... so you are in a different path to me....

Good luck
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Yea that makes sense. I’ve read through a few things here and seems R&W is being skipped over. Especially being in the island (lucky you lol) it’s not the most rushed thing.

Thanks for your input though!
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Pompei is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mind me asking, I am also looking to do my citizenship by marriage and I wondered do you know if I can apply from overseas or do I have to be in Barbados and also what is involved in the interview? With many thanks 🙏🏼
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

I believe you have to do it in person, that’s what I did. I was looking into doing it overseas at first. Perhaps you can do it at a Barbadian embassy if there is one near you. I know for sure you can’t have someone else drop the paperwork in Barbados ( that’s what I had originally wanted to do)

The interview was straight forward questions about the relationship, nothing really to trip you up. Me and my husband have been married for nearly 5 years. from what I understand there is a requirement to have been married for 3 years prior to application.

there is a contact email on the Barbados immigration website and they reply pretty quickly

good luck
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Pompei is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your response.

I was just asking because I am not sure if I will get to Barbados this year although I am hoping I might be able to go later in the year 🤞🏼

The nearest embassy to me would be London but I would still have to get a flight there. I did email the Barbados immigration department but I didn’t receive a response so I emailed the embassy and they sent me a copy of the form that has to be filled in but they did not answer any of my questions. I will get everything together and if I have any questions I will email them at one time as I do not want to bombard them with lots of separate emails.

I have been married for 6 1/2 years so I meet that requirement.

Would you mind keeping this thread up to date with how long your application takes and if there is anything else you have to do? I would be interested to know how long it takes as I was under the impression that it is quicker now.

Thank you again for your response and good luck to you too.
Old Mar 4th 2022, 12:18 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, sounds like Barbados really dont want to do this. Here in Grenada, its much simpler, whole process takes about a month, they just want to see the proofs of marriage and character, thats about it. Mine took 6 weeks because the prime minister has to sign them all, and he was abroad. Otherwise you just deliver the forms photos and fee to his secretary, thats it.

Getting citizenship for children is even easier, but you need a letter from one grenadian parent saying that they want citizenship for their child, and once written, that lasts for the childs life.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 1:08 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

KrissyKriss. my first thing is to say.. the mail isn't running like it used to.. and even then it could take several weeks to get to England (I'm assuming that's where you are).. so.. I'm sure it's on the way.

UK Grenada.. I appreciate you being on this Barbados board.. but you continually beat Barbados up for things.. and maybe they are true.. and just because you had an issue.. doesn't mean the next person is going to. 30 years ago, my citizenship by marriage happened almost over night.. well.. ok. .3 months .. and there were 2 of us.. me from the US married a bajan at the end of September, had my Barbados citizenship by marriage by the day before US Thanksgiving that year.. a Grenadian, married her bajan hubby also in and around the same time and had hers by mid to late October.. ,, however.. we also know it has to do with "who's in power". .one political party would rather there not be expats living here. and another would like them to. it also has to do with how hard someone is working.. or not.. on clearing the process. (and I mean.. immigration person).
Old Mar 11th 2022, 1:15 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I thought your Mia was quite advanced in her thinking about new citizens or people with the right to live there. I take it her party is in favour? But here and maybe there, civil servants are often not very civil and can easily lose their jobs if their politics and those in powers politics arent the same [which is silly imho.]
Old Mar 11th 2022, 4:58 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

civil servants don't always do their job.. regardless of who's in power.. because.. well civil servants believe they are set for life from the day they take a job.. Mia IS working on paths to new citizenship.. but.. that's taken a back seat, I'm guessing, because of the elections, new ministers, etc.. AND.. again.. sometimes things just don't move fast enough.. even for bajans..
Old Apr 1st 2022, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by satellite_ian
All I can remember is the whole process took pretty much 5 years to the day from start to finish.. hope that helps..
hey

I have a question I’m hoping you can answer. I’ve got my fee letter now. I was wondering if after paying, am I then a citizen and can apply for my passport? Or am I not a citizen until after the ceremony?
Old Apr 1st 2022, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

As I recall I applied for my passport after the ceremony because up until then I didn't have the supporting paperwork... but you are a citizen once you have paid...
Old Apr 28th 2022, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

One more questtion I appreciate your time in answering. I have paid my fee! from what I understand, I'm now officially Bajan! I had my husband on the island pay the fee at the immigration department. The last thing I'm waiting for is an email or a phone call to attend the citizenship ceremony. Do you know if this is once a year if they hold multiple ceremonies a year? I know they just had one at the ending of March so I'm wanting to gauge roughly how long it'll be.

Thanks!

If anyone is reading this and wondering. I received the fee letter much later than expected due to an incorrect postal code to my address in Canada. Roughly 8 weeks from the date it was sent. I had my phone interview Feb. 17th and fee letter was dated Feb. 22nd. Of course by the time I received it, it was much past the required 28 days but they allowed leniency. All in all, from the date of application to paying my fee was roughly 5 months!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.