British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Citizenship by marriage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/citizenship-marriage-738651/)

laudrick Nov 11th 2011 5:58 pm

Citizenship by marriage

Has anyone applied for citizenship by marriage in Barbados and gotten through? How long did it take?
My 4-year old application though I had an interview a year ago is taking too long. Any advice?

Sunniebgi Nov 12th 2011 2:54 pm

Re: Citizenship by marriage

I have it,, but it was 19 years ago.. and only took 3 months..

there are others on the board more recent then me and it's taken about 3-4 years. I would suggest checking with Immigration on the status.

uk2011 Nov 14th 2011 2:06 am

I would go down there and speak to someone - if you call they dont always answer the phone. 4 years is a long time, mine took 10 months and I know someone who recently got theirs after about 8 months. I had to chase up mine with them.

songbird835 Nov 14th 2011 10:36 am

Originally Posted by uk2011 (Post 9731189)
I would go down there and speak to someone - if you call they dont always answer the phone. 4 years is a long time, mine took 10 months and I know someone who recently got theirs after about 8 months. I had to chase up mine with them.

Hi, hopefully i may be able to give some news, I applied for mine 3 years ago, i have my reside and work, right now they are processing 2006, i was advised of this last week when i went to immigration to ask the situation, however, it may not hurt to go down and speak with them, the phone is never a good option in person is always the best thing, they were very courteous with me. Apparently there is a very big backlog and that is why there is so much of a hold up...it took me nearly 6 months to get my reside and work from when i paid for it, just because of the back log....sit tight, well all get there in th end...

uk2011 Nov 14th 2011 11:33 am

Hi apologies i thought it was the reside and work permit you had applied for (should have read your post a bit more carefully!). It definitely takes over 3 years for the citizenship to come through. I know theres definitely a back log as Song Bird said, but it still may be a good idea to go down there and ask a question?

laudrick Dec 6th 2011 5:13 pm

I went into Immigration a few days ago after many repeated futile calls. I had a long two hour wait before I see the officer incharge of citizenship and after tight scrutiny of my file the citizenship was approved. I now have to pay B$1,500.00 or US$750.00 to pay for the same.
What's the next step after payment?

Sunniebgi Dec 6th 2011 8:57 pm

Laudrick.. congrats.. you should be getting a citizenship certificate (well I did all that many years ago). and was able to start working.. I have my ID Card (but never have applied for a passport).

interesting the amount.. in 19 years, the cost has not quite doubled.. I think I paid 800.00bbd back then.

Lyndi1 Dec 9th 2011 6:15 pm

The same happened to me Laudrick.

I paid my money in Barbados then went home to the UK. I had to wait 6 months before my certificate arrived and I officially became a citizen of Barbados. Your certificate might arrive earlier as you live in Barbados, but you've done all you can now and it's just a matter of waiting!:)

Lyndi