Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Booking tickets to Barbados

Booking tickets to Barbados

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Booking tickets to Barbados

Originally Posted by Ikon
In terms of advice, I'd say be really clear on why you're coming here - even after 5 months, I've grown complacent about some of the things that initially excited me, so you have to have really solid reasons for choosing THIS island. It's not all sunshine and sandcastles.
Well said Ikon, as my husband says," Barbados is no sweet bread..." well you have to add in the accent and emphasis but you get the idea!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

It's funny how the weather can be such an important fact for people. I'm thinking specifically of some of my friends & family back home who have the impression that because it's hot all year round, everything else is just wonderful and life is easy. In fact, we all live here like we're on a permanent vacation, didn't you know? I think they forget that we've all given up something to be here. I mean, I'm happy and not leaving any time soon, but the past year has definitely not seemed like an extended vacation... it's been hard work! Harder than at home because I didn't start here with the network of support that I had in Canada (got a good one going now, thanks to certain awesome peeps - you know who you are!).

But, I'll admit, break time and weekends are nicer than what I came from
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

So true Foxy!! I know I made the right decision to bring my family here but you are starting completely afresh and it takes a long time before it feels like 'home' and you make new friends etc - I only stopped calling London "home" about a week ago and realised that's here now.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haha, me too. I flip-flop between calling Toronto "home" and here "home." Toronto is now only home in the nostalgic sense
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Foxy, u is very smart for having a friend like me...LOL!

It is true living here is at times not a picnic, but when you look at all of the advantages and take advantage of them-- we are pretty darn lucky to be here.

Here's a few, be they oddball, reasons:

1. I can garden to my hearts delight 365 days a year.
2. My cats can hang out outside and catch all the birds they can eat.
3. I can go the beach whenever I want.
4. My son can learn to swim for $115.00BB per term.
5. My co-worker sells me enormous Butternut Squash (FROM HIS FARM) for $2.00 a pound.
6. I earn some of my living writing!!!
7. My husband makes a mean Flying Fish Cutter, whenever I want!
8. I have some cool, genuine friends..they are not oddballs!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zanne

It is true living here is at times not a picnic, but when you look at all of the advantages and take advantage of them-- we are pretty darn lucky to be here.

5. My co-worker sells me enormous Butternut Squash (FROM HIS FARM) for $2.00 a pound.
I like those reasons!! My main motivation was fiscal - there's no capital gains tax here - but Barbados' pull over other places is kind of hard to explain, isn't it? It's such a unique island, and I think it's a really great place for young families.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh yeah, don't worry - I know how lucky I am

Great list, Zanne. We should all make one of these! I'm going to add to it, in the spirit of positive thinking (been watching too much Dr. Phil??)

1. Karate costs me only $30BBD per month
2. I can scuba dive whenever I like
3. I am browner than all my friends in Canada
4. Friends and family are a 6-hr flight away - not the other side of the world!
5. I've met some great friends here, who I'll truly be friends with for many years (also not oddballs - ha!)
6. We're close to other islands and can see them pretty easily and affordably
7. I work from home so I no longer have a painful commute (don't miss that in the snow in Toronto) and I live close to my gym

Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Vikki-- things have changed pretty radically at immigration since 2007, also keep in mind that the government has changed. I applied for my citizenship in August 2006, it was granted in May 2008, but now it takes at least 3 years!!! I wouldn't suggest to anyone to attempt to come in with a 6 months ticket these days...they are really all over this (in a totally disorganized way of course!)
I have just spoken to immagration again to clarify, and they said it was fine for me to enter on a 6 month ticket, get a tourist extention when I get there for 6 months and apply for citizenship once married. Not sure if this is only because we are getting married or whether they are still giving out 6 month extentions to 'tourists'??? But at least I can sleep soundly tonight
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

great news Vikki!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vikki85
I have just spoken to immagration again to clarify, and they said it was fine for me to enter on a 6 month ticket, get a tourist extention when I get there for 6 months and apply for citizenship once married. Not sure if this is only because we are getting married or whether they are still giving out 6 month extentions to 'tourists'??? But at least I can sleep soundly tonight
Indeed, great news! good luck!!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, it has put my mind at rest. I just hope that they are not easing me in gently with the extension and will hit me with complicated/confusing procedures later on (which I am sure they will)
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Tizzy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vikki,

When I arrived last June 08 I did exactly the same thing.
I was very lucky and had a real nice immigration lady at the airport who gave me 6 months straight away, a great start. May have had something to do with the fact my husband had travelled with me who is Bajan(not sure).

We immediately applied for my citizenship and was told until it came through to keep extending my stay.
The airport gave me until mid Dec so mid Nov I went down to Bridgetown to apply for my extension as I was told to do, I am still waiting!!!! and it's now June.
Everytime I call, they tell me that they will call me when ready and why am I worried about it?????
They initially kept my passport too but I had to get it back as had an emergency trip to make, I carried with me my receipts to show I'd applied to extend my stay and in fairness didn't have a problem coming back in.

I wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated, I hope your process is smooth and I hope I get a result soon...lol
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tizzy01
Hi Vikki,

When I arrived last June 08 I did exactly the same thing.
I was very lucky and had a real nice immigration lady at the airport who gave me 6 months straight away, a great start. May have had something to do with the fact my husband had travelled with me who is Bajan(not sure).

We immediately applied for my citizenship and was told until it came through to keep extending my stay.
The airport gave me until mid Dec so mid Nov I went down to Bridgetown to apply for my extension as I was told to do, I am still waiting!!!! and it's now June.
Everytime I call, they tell me that they will call me when ready and why am I worried about it?????
They initially kept my passport too but I had to get it back as had an emergency trip to make, I carried with me my receipts to show I'd applied to extend my stay and in fairness didn't have a problem coming back in.

I wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated, I hope your process is smooth and I hope I get a result soon...lol
Wow, what a nightmare! So many horror stories.... makes me appreciate that my family came here relatively smoothly. I'm terrified of ever having to deal with Immigration after reading all the long waits etc on here!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tizzy01
Wait, let me get this straight you have been waiting for an extension for 6 months...if you left for the emergency and your passport did't reflect an order to leave you were within your right to re-enter. I just cannot believe the way that immigration treats the spouses of their own citizens. To move here with my (Bajan) husband, which was our dream, we gave up loads, my business-- we shipped our cat to the UK at an enormous expense, all of our possesions-- it is no joke, why can they not respect their own? Okay, sorry...rant over!

And for the record this country needs repatriation of skilled persons...
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Tizzy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Zanne,

You are absolutely correct, I have been waiting 6 months for my extension.
Every single time I call and actually get someone to answer the phone to me, they tell me not to worry. I tell them that the stamp was up in Dec and they just say that they'll call me when they're ready and because I've applied for citizenship it's no problem.
I was calling very regular (every 2 weeks or so) but now I figure if they're not worried then neither am I!!!!!
I guess as soon as they give it to me though I'll have to apply again as it will already have expired.

If I was allowed to work I would go there and help them get through the applications myself!! lol
It is ridiculous but I'm trying to laugh about it now....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.