Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Booking tickets to Barbados

Booking tickets to Barbados

Old May 30th 2009, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

danilas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Booking tickets to Barbados

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice here: My family and i have plans to move to Barbados but when we book tickets, how long do we book them for. What's the maximum stay for a UK citizen? And is it a case of extending our stay once we're on the island?

Thanks for any help
Old May 30th 2009, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Booking tickets to Barbados

Welcome danilas-- I suspect that most of the veteran posters on here will have similar responses to your post-- undertaking moving to Barbados is not to be taken lightly. Unless you are a citizen, via descent, marriage, etc, there are issues regarding work permits, student visas, residency, etc.

I am certainly happy to answer any questions you have but just be aware of the challenges...
Old May 31st 2009, 2:28 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I, like zanne, welcome you to the boards, but caution you to make sure that you have everything in order before even booking the tickets.

unless I'm totally incorrect, 28 days is the maximum length of stay anyone can have on the island without being a citizen or resident, or owning a home here. As I said, I could be wrong..So if I am someone jump in.
Old May 31st 2009, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that's right, Sunnie. Then if you want to stay longer, you apply for a visitor's extension.

Sometimes, upon proof of a return ticket, they will give you longer than 28 days at the airport, but that is not guaranteed. They may tell you to change your return flight, regardless of cost, or go to Immigration in town for the visitor's extension.

Good luck,
Foxy
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome. I am moving to Barbados next month (woohoo - I can say that now we are in June) but this is my experiences so far:

I went to Barbados for 6 months in 2007. I booked my ticket for 6 months, was given a stamp for 30 days at the airport and then had to go to immagration in Bridgetown to get the extra 5 months stamp (BDS 50 charge). A friend of mine whos mum is applying for residency was given a 3 month stamp at the airport on arrival and so didnt need to visit immagration as she was only staying for the summer. The same person (the mum) who is applying for residency booked a return ticket for 8 months. BA would not allow her to check in at Gatwick until she changed the date to 6 months as they know you could get turned away at Barbados Airport as maximum tourist stay at anyone time is 6 months (although I think this can be extended once the 6 months is up).

I would suggest to not book you ticket for any longer than 6 months. All Virgin Atlantic tickets are changeable, but you will need to make sure that you can extend the ticket past 6 months (a max of 12 months I think), otherwise it is pointless.

Remember, everything is down to the person at immagration on the day. Everyone I know has had a different experience.

Good luck!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Hey Vikki-- things have changed pretty radically at immigration since 2007, also keep in mind that the government has changed. I applied for my citizenship in August 2006, it was granted in May 2008, but now it takes at least 3 years!!! I wouldn't suggest to anyone to attempt to come in with a 6 months ticket these days...they are really all over this (in a totally disorganized way of course!)
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

UH OH, I was under the impression when I was at immagration in March that I could come on a 6 month ticket and extend once we were married. I have booked a ticket for 6 months - better ring immagration again tomorrow.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just double check...

When we entered in 2007 I got a 30 day stamp in my passport. I had my 2 year old son with me, who is Bajan, and a whole raft of documents regarding my citizenship application (even my husbands birth and baptism certificates!!!)...at that time my extensions were I think 30 days at a time for awhile and then I finally got gutsy and wrote some ridiculousness on the extension for like "indefinitely" or "until my citizenship is approved" and they gave me some random number of days-- nothing that correlated to months of course.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's so totally wacky how it all works out. Here's Zanne, arriving with her Bajan son, married to a Bajan man, obviously with many legitimate reasons to be here, and they give her only 30 days.

Then there was me, on one of my visits as a visitor, and they didn't even ask to see my return ticket. They just asked me how long I wanted to stay here. I think I got 2 months that time (I corresponded it to my return ticket to make sense but I wonder how long they would have given me??).

I'm not sure that a 6-mo ticket is a good idea, though. They may ask you to change your ticket or perhaps they'll just give you 30 days and tell you to visit Immigration for an extension.

Any changes to your ticket due to Immigration rules are at your own expense, FYI, so it's a good idea to book a ticket that can change without heavy fees.

Good luck!
Foxy
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:04 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been asked to show a return ticket by anyone at immigration!!

The bottom line is as Vicki says it depends on the person ya get on the desk - Virgin sell tickets that are changeable for £50 for anytime up to a year so the date of the ticket isnt really that much of an issue.

I have noticed recently that the officers at airport are issuing 1 month as a standard - and moving to Barbados takes months and often years of planning especially with a famiy so i think working backwards from a date on a ticket seems niaive but maybe i just read your post wrong.

A positive word tho - for the work permits and stuff here Barbados ask us to get tests for syphilis and TB - ~I was reading some stuff re new zealand on this site and a lot of people who are attempting to migrate there are being turned down for their BMI rating!!!!!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
I was reading some stuff re new zealand on this site and a lot of people who are attempting to migrate there are being turned down for their BMI rating!!!!!!
oh my! That is interesting, to say the least.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

afish is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently in Barbados for a 10 week stay and entered with my return ticket booked for 10 weeks after my arrival. My son and I were both stamped for a month and went to immigration for extensions. They extended our visas up to the date that we are due to leave, I've heard this is common.

We were not asked to show return tickets at the airport and the visa extension took a while to be processed but we got there in the end.

You just need to be patient.

And btw you can change your ticket with BA for £50 too.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

danilas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies - that's cleared a few things up!

I'm definitely not thinking this is going to be a straightforward process (for those of you who were warning me!) but it's really good to get first-hand experience of the "system" from those who've done it. Especially in a place like Barbados where things are not always clearly laid out.

For those of you who've made The Move, any wise words on what might make the process a bit easier?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bring your sense of humour. Cuz sometimes, all you can do is just laugh!

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Bring your sense of humour. Cuz sometimes, all you can do is just laugh!

It seems to me there are no simple rules - I've been here since the start of the year and my process and experiences with Immigration were simple and straightforward (possibly because I didn't need a work permit). But I understand from every ex-pat I've met that my experience is the opposite of what is typical, and you should be prepared for endless bureaucracy and paper-pushing. I guess I got lucky!

In terms of advice, I'd say be really clear on why you're coming here - even after 5 months, I've grown complacent about some of the things that initially excited me, so you have to have really solid reasons for choosing THIS island. It's not all sunshine and sandcastles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.