Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Black Bess $600,000 000 project

Black Bess $600,000 000 project

Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:38 pm
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Black Bess $600,000 000 project

Seredipidy let me correct you,any person that have property that they can sell for 5 or 10 times more than what they pay will sell it,we as Bajans are not angry with foreigners buying the land,we are angry that foreigners blocking off access to our beaches,building up to the waterline,causing magnificant beach erosion, encroaching on old people properties and taking advantage of the under privilage.We are also angry with people like C O Williams for trying to remove people that live on cheap tenantry or plantation land for over 60 & 70 years to make way for these so call investers, People like Paul Altman for raping Barbados.We are angry with our government for not making these multimillion dollar complexes not contribute to the surrounding poor areas.We are angry that the government can do so much for tourism and nothing for its people and the QEH. Any how the foolish man build his house on the sand (West & south coast beaches) and the wise man build his house on the rock (Bajans that was push inland st.Thomas,st.joseph etc) remember the sand has no foundation but the rock always stay strong so all you guys are welcome to every beach property we have to offer at top dollar i hope it last forever.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:11 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

How are any of your comments relevant to "bajans being pushed out of CH CH by foreigners" Dont tell me that comments not an angry at foreigners for buying residential property comment
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:27 pm
Banned

Can you tell me more about this CH CH thing, where in Christ Church?
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
In fact.. there is or was going to be a law put into place that no land on the east coast would be sold to foreigners.. I believe that had to do with the current Sam Lords property among other locations. this was an "early in his administration" thing for David Thompson.. who said a lot of things but hasn't really done some of what he said... (he is a politician after all)

We all know about Seaspray etc.. but that hasn't stopped The Crane or many other people from building houses along the east coast. They just have to be able to deal with it.
Thanks Sunnie, I knew I had heard of something along those lines... As you say salt spray is an issue but one that is well worth dealing with, you just have to use marine grade stainless steel amongst other things and be prepapred for ongoing maintenance...
Old Nov 20th 2009, 7:59 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neal brown
Can you tell me more about this CH CH thing, where in Christ Church?
Its a comment made by Karibspice Neal - so its them you have to ask

oh and wats with the vexed face at the beginning of all your sentences - chill man
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:55 pm
Banned

I am never angry the vex face is in conjunction with the comment i was making.Remember not only your house rust on the east coast, the pipes,your fridge,your car,stove,it bleaches your hair,the plants and i can go on and on.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

and you do.

However you can live there and in fact people choose to.

Never heard of salt spray bleaching your hair tho, another in depth questionnaire you have held?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shines
and you do.

However you can live there and in fact people choose to.

Never heard of salt spray bleaching your hair tho, another in depth questionnaire you have held?

LOL.......
Sorry, nothing useful to add, just wanted to indicate my amusement!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:00 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

you know it is an interesting thread. The local sells their land, to the highest bidder.. then gets angry that the highest bidder doesn't pay attention to the rest of the owners..

how bought the guy who said (now this was about 15 years ago).. I have a house for rent.. the US Embassy will pay me 6000.00 per month.. great income.. I can even charge them more.. look at all the banks and their ex-pat employees who get homes for the highest price.

then you find all the landlords pushing up rents .. why??? because they can.. and then the local, who works for local wage.. can't afford anything.

My husband kicks himself nearly everyday.. why.. because when he first was working and living at home and saving money, he didn't buy that house or land close to the beach.. and now.. we can't afford it. it's simply out of reach.. but lucky for us, we found a great house .. 12 years ago.. bought it and it's value has grown.. but we aren't going anywhere.. so we don't worry..

but the biggest issue really has been the previous government on granting permits willy nilly and not paying attention to what has been done.. YEah it's fantastic that people want to spend their money here, but at what cost to Barbados.

I'm not complaining.. i'm just saying..
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:27 pm
Banned

reslax is an unknown quantity at this point

Serendipity,

I have been following the immigration issue in the U.K. I am amazed at the similarities between comments people in the U.K. are making and Bajans are making regarding immigration. Here are some comments I read this morning on various U.K. websites about the feelings of people in the U.K. followed by similar Bajan sentiments:

"The white working class feel completely ignored."
In Barbados, the Black working class feel completely ignored.

There is "growing public concern about the pressure on public services and jobs."
Bajans have expressed the same sentiment.

"Gordon Brown vows to tighten up immigration rules."
Prime Minister Thompson of Barbados vowed the same thing.

"In one of the worst recessions in living memory, it is unbelievable that we allow non-EU economic immigrants to come to look for work, or to take up jobs for which British unemployed people have not had the chance to apply."
Bajans complain all the time about foreigners being hired for jobs before the jobs are advertised to Bajans.

"No surprise then that poll after poll during the last 12 months or so has put immigration extremely high among voters’ concerns."
Bajans got rid of former Prime Minister Owen Arthur mainly because of the immigration issue.

"Government's immigration and asylum policy also came under fire by Communities Secretary Hazel Blears who admitted it had resulted in a "free-for-all" allowing people in to the country under false pretences."
Bajans believe there has been a free-for-all as far as immigration is concerned over the last decade.

The list goes on and on. The point I am trying to make is that natives everywhere are complaining that outsiders are making life difficult for them. It isn't just a Bajan thing. I am sure immigrants in the U.K. are tired of listening to Brits complain about immigrants taking housing and opportunities from them and think the Brits should complain to their own people for allowing them, immigrants, to come in and take away housing and opportunities, instead of attacking them.

It is normal and human nature for people to complain about things.

Last edited by reslax; Nov 21st 2009 at 2:39 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:17 pm
Banned

I totally agree with your point,but i dont feel people in Britain should complain.When flying over britain there are thousands of acres of spear land in Bratain one person can own over a thousand acres.The point i am trying to make is that big countries should take in many people and develope all that land that you have idle.We in Barbados can complain because we just dont have the space and resources.I still believe that rich countries are keeping the world poor.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by reslax
Serendipity,

I have been following the immigration issue in the U.K. I am amazed at the similarities between comments people in the U.K. are making and Bajans are making regarding immigration. Here are some comments I read this morning on various U.K. websites about the feelings of people in the U.K. followed by similar Bajan sentiments:

"The white working class feel completely ignored."
In Barbados, the Black working class feel completely ignored.

There is "growing public concern about the pressure on public services and jobs."
Bajans have expressed the same sentiment.

"Gordon Brown vows to tighten up immigration rules."
Prime Minister Thompson of Barbados vowed the same thing.

"In one of the worst recessions in living memory, it is unbelievable that we allow non-EU economic immigrants to come to look for work, or to take up jobs for which British unemployed people have not had the chance to apply."
Bajans complain all the time about foreigners being hired for jobs before the jobs are advertised to Bajans.

"No surprise then that poll after poll during the last 12 months or so has put immigration extremely high among voters’ concerns."
Bajans got rid of former Prime Minister Owen Arthur mainly because of the immigration issue.

"Government's immigration and asylum policy also came under fire by Communities Secretary Hazel Blears who admitted it had resulted in a "free-for-all" allowing people in to the country under false pretences."
Bajans believe there has been a free-for-all as far as immigration is concerned over the last decade.

The list goes on and on. The point I am trying to make is that natives everywhere are complaining that outsiders are making life difficult for them. It isn't just a Bajan thing. I am sure immigrants in the U.K. are tired of listening to Brits complain about immigrants taking housing and opportunities from them and think the Brits should complain to their own people for allowing them, immigrants, to come in and take away housing and opportunities, instead of attacking them.

It is normal and human nature for people to complain about things.
I do totally agree with your point however if we were to quote "foreigners pushed us out of our land" we would be called racists - the question is is that statement racist only in the UK or is it the same here?

Also people in the UK complain not because foreigners brought the land/houses but because Tax payers have to pay for the immigrants to live in them rent free when they seek asylum etc and there is no housing stock left for british born citizens.

However, Im gonna be totally controversial here - if you look around at the immigration population that have swamped the UK in the last 20 years you will see that they originate from lands that Britain as a "super power" raped and piledged over the centuries and that these people are now taking back what was once theirs (im not saying its a conscious deciscion) - in my opinon the sins of the father .........................

You can imagine my opinion gets a lot of raised eyebrows in UK lol but the demographics of what land and homes our forefathers "stole" (guess that war makes it legal) is uncannily similar to the demographics of the asylum seekers and other immigrants now residing in UK - by the way its merely my opinion and not a research project i carried out !
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

I think the kind of immigration issues that Barbados and the UK face are complete opposites.

The immigrants that many UK subjects take issue with (rightly or wrongly) are actually those who come to the country claiming benefits or accepting low-paid/under-the-table jobs. Statistically, most of them are in social housing or provided with housing benefit to pay their rent.

No such situation exists in Barbados - the issue locals have is that the country is developing at a rate they can't keep up with, and so they cannot afford a similar size home etc. Immigrants here are REQUIRED to contribute to that development, or they won't get a work permit/residency.

Unfortunately, increased land prices is the cost of becoming a developed country. The issue in the UK is completely different, because a great number of its immigrants are NOT contributing to the country financially, and are in fact a huge drain with the benefits they claim.

Do you realise that for a family with 2 children living on benefits in the UK one of them would need to find a job with at least a £35,000 salary to replace the money & handouts (home, discount childcare etc) they're given?

It's a completely different situation there to what's happening in Barbados. Try to remember that we as immigrants are providing a financial benefit, and helping the country to develop. The Barbadians that grumble about this are those who have not developed their own skill set at the same pace and therefore are disgruntled at being left behind and not being able to afford what they once could. In short, that's tough luck - the same happens in any developed country. In the UK, many young adults complain they cannot afford the houses their parents could, for example.

Perhaps some Barbadians would like to stop the country becoming more developed, and if so they should make their voice heard, but as far as I'm aware there isn't a political party here who thinks that would be a good idea.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Bajan Police is an unknown quantity at this point

However, Im gonna be totally controversial here - if you look around at the immigration population that have swamped the UK in the last 20 years you will see that they originate from lands that Britain as a "super power" raped and piledged over the centuries and that these people are now taking back what was once theirs (im not saying its a conscious deciscion) - in my opinon the sins of the father .........................

Wrong - immigration that is swamping the UK is from Eastern Europe & the Middle East, Poland, Romania, Slovakia etc etc.
The immigrants from countries our forefathers supposedly raped and piliged, i.e. Africa, India etc. come into the country for a better life and are prepared to work and put something back into the community.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bajan Police

Wrong - immigration that is swamping the UK is from Eastern Europe & the Middle East, Poland, Romania, Slovakia etc etc.
The immigrants from countries our forefathers supposedly raped and piliged, i.e. Africa, India etc. come into the country for a better life and are prepared to work and put something back into the community.

Yeah, it's a massive generalisation and maybe even on the border of prejudice, but it seems accurate to say a lot of the immigrants in the last 15 years in the UK who are asking for benefits, social housing etc are from Eastern Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.