Barbados vs. TT

Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

martin18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barbados vs. TT

Hello there. I'd appreciate your objective opinions on this question (I know this is a forum of Barbados fans!).

I have the option of moving to Barbados or Trinidad next year. The financial package for Trinidad is better (don't ask me why). While that is a factor, though, I also have a one year old daughter and place a lot of importance upon choosing a good place for her to grow up in - plenty of space to run around in, safety, things to do, other kids to play with etc.

I know much depends on personal preferences, but off the top of your heads, how do BD and TT compare in terms of quality of life, to the best of your knowledge?

I'm concerned about the cost of living in BD, and the fact there might not be so much to do. At the same time, my wife and I are not particularly outgoing types (though we do like to go out once in a while). And I've always thought Port of Spain is a bit of an ugly city (tho I suppose it depends on where you live, etc.).

Any advice/opinions much appreciated!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Barbados vs. TT

Hi Martin,

Though I have never been to Trinidad and Tobago by myself, I know few people who are born there or lived there. All are telling quite the same, that Trinidad itself is not very nice to live, high crime, and the main island is quite industrialized. Tobago is a beautiful island (my ex-friend visited the island), but the people don´t like foreigners very much. So from what I have heard on first hand information, I wouldn´t even try to compare TT with Barbados. Barbados is very safe, the economy is stable and growing, the people here are mostly very friendly and even if it is quite expensive (for us as Austrians it seems not that expensive than for Canadians maybe), you get much for this money. Why do you mean that you can´t do much here? There are so many options, even if you are not nightlife people. You can go to the beach, hiking, there is horseracing, Ocean Park (water zoo), you can go to the Cinema (they even have Drive-in cinema!!!), then there are the many many many sights (Harrisons Cave, Animal Flower Cave, Gun Hill........) and all the lovely towns and scenic landscapes. Besides this there is a wide cultural life here in Barbados, there are exhibitions, concerts, so if you are looking for it, you will find all that you want. For me, Barbados is the only Caribbean island so far to live quite similar than in Europe.

And I can tell you why they are paying more for going to TT than to Barbados: the answer simply is because nobody wants to go there *gggg*. Sorry, but I think this is the point.....

The best to find out which is the best for you would be to visit both islands before you decide to take the job..............Good luck!!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

martin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, and thanks so much Belinda for this response, very helpful indeed. Surprised to hear about the cultural life, as I would have thought that it would mostly be calypso bands for the tourists! But good news.

Any other opinions also appreciated!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:17 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin18
Hi, and thanks so much Belinda for this response, very helpful indeed. Surprised to hear about the cultural life, as I would have thought that it would mostly be calypso bands for the tourists! But good news.

Any other opinions also appreciated!
Stick to Barbados if you have a young family. Crime is rampant in Trinidad right now, and I speak as one who is married to a Trinidadian. Kidnapping and a high murder rate has been a particular problem which the government is trying to get to grips with.

For the spectacular carnival Trinidad, for everyday living Barbados all the way !!!

Last edited by pgtips; Oct 16th 2007 at 7:21 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

I totaly agree with above comments. I have been to Trinidad and didn't feel safe at all! There's also a hostility towards black people, the Indians rule the island.

My son lives there and for him there's more to do, he says, he's 19 and got bored with Barbados. He feels safe there but definitely not as safe as in BB.

Trinidad also looks shabby, lots of industrial sites and there's only one beach where people go to and it's a nice setting but often very full. The sea is also not clear and the waves soooo high, not right for children!!

For me the only positive thing was that everything is very cheap compare to BB.

Good luck !
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:08 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

they pay you more for TT because its danger money.

trust me - my family is Trini and we'd not go back, especially with kids. I value my life and freedom thanks very much
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandmom
they pay you more for TT because its danger money.

trust me - my family is Trini and we'd not go back, especially with kids. I value my life and freedom thanks very much
Explain the danger money thing to me,Islandmom. I might be thick but I don't understand
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by trutje
Explain the danger money thing to me,Islandmom. I might be thick but I don't understand
as in its a dangerous place to live so they pay more money to entice people to go there. Of course you'd take less money to live in Barbados coz you'll have a much nicer safer lifestyle.

Search for Lynette Lythgow (or Pearson as she changed her name to) on the web - she was a close friend of the family and grew up with my mum and was on a trip to visit her elderly mother.

this is the kind of thing that happens - be warned
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

as in its a dangerous place to live so they pay more money to entice people to go there. Of course you'd take less money to live in Barbados coz you'll have a much nicer safer lifestyle.

Search for Lynette Lythgow (or Pearson as she changed her name to) on the web - she was a close friend of the family and grew up with my mum and was on a trip to visit her elderly mother.

I have just read it and it's absolutely horrible. Even when I was there a child got kidnapped a woman robbed and killed in her home.Two different cases and if you think about how small the island realy is. I was only there for 13 days.
I do worry about my son, he is gay and as you might know they don't have high respect for gay people in the Caribbean.
But I can't do a lot to change his mind.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by trutje
I have just read it and it's absolutely horrible. Even when I was there a child got kidnapped a woman robbed and killed in her home.Two different cases and if you think about how small the island realy is. I was only there for 13 days.
I do worry about my son, he is gay and as you might know they don't have high respect for gay people in the Caribbean.
But I can't do a lot to change his mind.
jeez - well he's taking a risk. I hope the moneys worth it for his sake.

My mum was also in the coup back in the late 60's/early 70's and was terrified, our family house is protected by a huge concrete wall, you dont dare show wealth or money ..... thats not how I want to live.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeez - well he's taking a risk. I hope the moneys worth it for his sake.

My mum was also in the coup back in the late 60's/early 70's and was terrified, our family house is protected by a huge concrete wall, you dont dare show wealth or money ..... thats not how I want to live.
Well, to him its not the money. Its the nighlife,he's a DJ and the gay community.

I have seen the nice houses with the walls around it. Awfull!
I traveled by taxi in TT and only with the one that was recommended by locals. They'd scared me to death by warning me not just to flag one on the street. There were story's about taxidrivers taking people into the jungle, robbing them and leaving them behind or even kill them.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:53 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

This happened in 2001, the murder rate has about tripled since then, not to mention the crazy kidnapping spree of high worth individuals !!

We need to pray for Trinidad.

Trini's on a whole are great ambitious people, but just have this crime plague to deal with.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by pgtips
This happened in 2001, the murder rate has about tripled since then, not to mention the crazy kidnapping spree of high worth individuals !!

We need to pray for Trinidad.

Trini's on a whole are great ambitious people, but just have this crime plague to deal with.
it was sucha huge shock to my parents - they'd just been with Lynette and her new husband in Southern France for a vacation the month before, and then this suddenly happened, whilst I am proud to be part of Trini parentage I'm glad they did the safe thing and took us to the UK for a better life.

we got offered a position in TT and when I told my mum I could see the fear across her face when we were considering it. Even Tobago is feeling the effects these days
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:02 pm

it was sucha huge shock to my parents - they'd just been with Lynette and her new husband in Southern France for a vacation the month before, and then this suddenly happened, whilst I am proud to be part of Trini parentage I'm glad they did the safe thing and took us to the UK for a better life.

we got offered a position in TT and when I told my mum I could see the fear across her face when we were considering it. Even Tobago is feeling the effects these days

With all the kidnapping and gros crimes ie Sean Luke murder, I am reluctant to even visit the island on holidays now with my kids.

I prefer the smaller islands anyway, just much more relaxed and chilled out.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:08 pm

28 murders in 22 days, do you really want to live in Trinidad ?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index...s?id=161221044

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.