Advanced reconnaissance

Old Oct 21st 2021, 6:36 pm
Good day

bs_wave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advanced reconnaissance

Originally Posted by Stuart_R
bs_wave - that is an incredibly detailed post. Thank you!

Less than 4 weeks until I arrive now. The only thing left to book is the various AirBnBs. Almost everyone I have spoken to has mentioned either Worthing, Hastings or both, so I'll definitely be checking out those areas. I have a car rental sorted now so that will give me a lot more freedom to explore.
Please remember that all arriving passengers have to quarantine for a period of time at one of the approved hotels, and you won't be able to use your own accommodation, car rental or public transportation until you have been released from quarantine. Only certain taxi companies are authorised to take passengers from the airport to their quarantine hotel.

There are certain entry rules that you need to follow – known as the Barbados Travel Protocols. For example, all arriving passengers are required to be in receipt of a valid nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal PCR test that was taken within 3 days before arriving.

The government have published the Barbados Travel Protocols as an easy-to-read booklet here:

https://issuu.com/visitbarbados/docs...jE1NzI5MjYzNDk

For answers to common questions with respect to the Barbados Travel Protocols, read the FAQ booklet here:

https://e.issuu.com/embed.html?d=btm...=visitbarbados

A list of approved hotels and villas for the purpose of quarantine are listed here:

https://www.visitbarbados.org/covid-...es-2021#hotels

A list of approved transportation providers are listed here:

https://www.visitbarbados.org/covid-...1#divSection_5

You might find it more convenient to either pre-book an approved taxi with your quarantine hotel, or just take one of the available approved taxis after you arrive at the airport, as all passengers are directed to that area after arriving. Obviously, you have to pay a taxi fare like you would during normal times.

Last edited by bs_wave; Oct 21st 2021 at 6:47 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2021, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Quarantine rules changed today..at least for now.. fully vaccinated people only need a neg PCR test prior to flying in.

If the rules revert then the point of approved quarantine hotels is also slightly incorrect. Private residences (airbnb in this case) can be quarantine approved. The rules aren't complicated but do require the owner to do some work beforehand.. which is why, I assume, not many have been done.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Stuart_R is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, again, bs_wave for another detailed and helpful reply.

Please remember that all arriving passengers have to quarantine for a period of time at one of the approved hotels, and you won't be able to use your own accommodation, car rental or public transportation until you have been released from quarantine. Only certain taxi companies are authorised to take passengers from the airport to their quarantine hotel.
I already took this into consideration. I have two nights booked in an approved hotel when I first arrive, as per the recommendations. I also didn't arrange the car rental pickup until after I have checked out of the approved accomodation. I am double vaccinated and I have my PCR test arranged with an approved facility at Newcastle airport for two days before I fly. I think I've covered everything!
Quarantine rules changed today..at least for now.. fully vaccinated people only need a neg PCR test prior to flying in.
satellite_ian - thank you for this. I've yet to see what the updates are, I'll go look now!
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 5:07 am
Good day

bs_wave is an unknown quantity at this point

The changes referred to by Ian take effect from Sunday, October 24, 2021:

https://gisbarbados.gov.bb/blog/chan...avel-protocols

If those changes remain in effect by the time you arrive, then it appears you won't need to have a post-arrival PCR test nor will you be required to quarantine, given you are fully vaccinated. You will just need to have a valid pre-arrival nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal PCR test taken within 3 days before arriving on island.

Please note face masks are still required in Barbados in more settings than is required in the UK. I don't say that proudly either, because quite frankly we all know they are pointless in many environments.

For example, people are supposed to wear a face mask outdoors – yes, when outdoors – but you'll find not everyone complies with that because... I don't know... maybe because it's 35 celsius and we have something called easterly tradewinds?

However, wearing one indoors is strictly enforced in every business establishment and by the COVID Monitoring Unit.

I really hope we won't be required to wear face masks quite so much in the near future.

Also, there is a night time curfew, which runs between 9 pm and 5 am each day. During this time you must remain indoors at your place of residence.

There is a Barbados Welcome Stamp group on Facebook that you may wish to join. The group administrators usually announce any big changes to curfews or restrictions. You may also get useful advice from other expats in the group about life in Barbados.

Unfortunately the government didn't think to create a website that explains the COVID rules in plain English like the UK government does, so if you'd like some bedtime material to really help you doze off without any possible effort, the statutory instruments can be found in the Official Gazette for your reading pleasure.

Last edited by bs_wave; Oct 22nd 2021 at 6:00 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 6:38 am
Just Joined

I guess that means I at least get to use the pool at the approved accomodation now. The hotel's protocol was to stay in your room. It would be more hassle at this point to try and find an AirBNB that was happy with a two night stay than it would be to take it on the chin!

I knew from the literature that masks are supposed to be worn "in all public settings", but from what I'd seen on the webcams, it doesn't look like that is widely adhered to outside, at all!

Thank you for the information about the curfew. I wasn't sure if the earlier 18:00 start was still in effect or not.

Unfortunately (or not, depending on your perspective), I haven't used Facebook since August 2011. I was an early adopter, and an early leaver.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

I find the outdoor wearing of masks has dropped off considerably (in my opinion not a bad thing but thats a personal opinion). People tend to don their masks outside when they are expecting to come into contact with others.

I believe the rules are still that you do not need to wear a mask outdoors when you are exercising... I never do and that seems to be common practice.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 5:23 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Wearing a mask is required inside for sure.. I put my mask on when walking towards a business, but wouldn't put it on until I get out of my car. and then leaving the business/supermarket etc.. I would take it off as I go to my car. I would, however, leave it on, if I felt like I was in an area with more people than just 1 or 2. I don't wear my mask when I get out of my car to go onto the beach.. or on the beach.... I wouldn't , at all ,wear it doing any kind of running etc. while exercising, and likely wouldn't want to if out walking with a group, even 2 or 3 people. but.. if needed I would.. Inside.. going inside.. for sure...
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

That's pretty much what I am used to in the UK anyway.