Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

23 Y.O. Female Moving to Barbados, Needs a Roommate!

23 Y.O. Female Moving to Barbados, Needs a Roommate!

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

violet819 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 23 Y.O. Female Moving to Barbados, Needs a Roommate!

Hi All,

I am a 23 year old female from New York, and am moving to Barbados next week! I got a job doing marketing for a graphic design firm, and plan to stay for about a year. I'm looking for a roommate asap...would love a 2-bedroom apartment on the beach or at least with a great sea-view!

If you or anyone you know is looking for someone, let me know!

Thanks!!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

bimbound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 23 Y.O. Female Moving to Barbados, Needs a Roommate!

Hey Violet,
Hope you have been able to sort out your housing. I am not in need of a roomate but I am from Chicago down here for 2 years and have been here a month thus far. If you dont feel uncomfortable sharing with a 33yo male you could crash here for a couple weeks while you look. I stay in a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom 1st floor apartment across the street from a beach in Christ Church. View is obscured by hotels. If push comes to shove feel free to contact me.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bimbound -

Thanks for reaching out! I was actually looking to live in Christ Church - how are things working out for you? I'm moving down on Thursday of this week and have so many questions about cell phones/internet/etc. I'm staying with a family friend for the first few days, and hopefully will find an apartment within that time. But great to have a fall-back plan! Would love to hear more about your experiences, and meet up on the island!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Hi Violet,

If you're able, rent a place (or stay with a friend) for the first few weeks or a month, and look for a place to rent during that time. That will give you the time to look without feeling like you only have a few days to make a decision.

Netsirk and I came here for a week in February to find a place to live, and it was really hectic. We love where we live, but looking back it might have been a bit easier to just rent an apartment for the first month that we were here, giving us time to find a long-term rental without feeling rushed. Also, we would have had a better understanding of where we'd be in relation to things that are important to us (food, gym, etc.). Luckily we made a good decision, but if there's ever a next time, we'll do it differently to save the stress.

Good luck to you.

Foxy
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by violet819
Hi Bimbound -

Thanks for reaching out! I was actually looking to live in Christ Church - how are things working out for you? I'm moving down on Thursday of this week and have so many questions about cell phones/internet/etc. I'm staying with a family friend for the first few days, and hopefully will find an apartment within that time. But great to have a fall-back plan! Would love to hear more about your experiences, and meet up on the island!
Hi Violet,
I agree 100% with Foxy. I believe you can find what you're looking for here given enough time. I was also lucky with the place I found but I just happened to be walking past it one day and initially it was out of my price range, believe me I wasn't looking for a 3 bedroom but the landlords were very amiable to bringing down the price once we talked and she found out that I had a stable job starting and such. I stay in St. Lawrence Gap which can be loud at times but being new here I felt the desire to be around lots of people and convenience. Plus being able to walk across the street to the beach was a dream come true. I believe though that when my lease is up and I know more then I will probably find a cheaper place to stay.

Let me know what questions you have because i'm sure I had them when I was coming down as well.

Cell phone make sure you bring an unlocked triband or quadband GSM phone and you can get a sim card when you get here. I have digicel they use GSM 900/1800 I actually ordered a card from telestial.com andwalked out the airplane with a working Barbados cellphone when I got here. Although the digicel sim card is cheaper to buy here. Basically its a pay as you go type service.

Internet was actually quite quick to get installed but that varies depending where you end up staying. Before I had a permanent place I was using an internet cafe for emails. Then I found out about sunbeach which once again is a card that you can purchase that allowed me to do a pay as you go dialup internet from my laptop modem (had to dust that off) $20 Barbados got me 20 hours of dialup time. You can use whats left of my card if you like since it will expire in 2 months and I no longer need it. But was very convenient and handy.

Skype has been a Godsend for $2.99US a month I can dial unlimited anywhere in the united states. I also spent $24US flat fee to purchase a local Chicago areacode number . So friends and family can call as if I'm down the street. Of course this will require internet access although it did work ok with the dialup service, it sounds crystal clear over my broadband and I also am able to forward that number to my Barbados cell phone at a Skype price of 23cents US a minute which is still cheaper than the $2US a minute AT&T was charging me. I also have a webcam set up so my parents can see me when we talk (although they are with me now for the week)

Bring passport sized pictures with you as they are needed from time to time.

I have ordered cable tv but that has been taking quite sometime I am sad that as such I am missing the Cubs domination of national league baseball and also I will miss quite a bit of American football season since I don't know where on the island I can go to watch it as of yet.

As other things cross your mind let me know. And we can definitely meet up when you are on island. Work starts for me next week so I can no longer be a beach bum sadly. Others have helped me out quite a bit so I would love to pass it on. I miss my social network back in Chicago, but i'm enjoying living on the island. I am originally from Jamaica so I had always wanted to live this life for sometime. Pack what you need, you'll be surprised at all the stuff you bring that you will never wear. Also the beach cures everything!

Safe travel
Later
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bimbound - that is all very useful information! I am starting to pack now, trying to take your advice in packing only what I think I will need. Did stock up on toiletries though as I hear they are pretty expensive on the island.

Where do you do your grocery shopping? I imagine those little stores at the gas stations are not the best bargain...

Also, what do you do for transportation? I think I may need to get a used car of some sort...

I am hoping to get WiFi in my apartment for internet, and I am bringing a couple of cell phones down with me to see if any of them will work with the sim cards down there..I imagine I will do a pay-as-you-go, since most of my calls home will be on the beloved Skype! What do you do for work? I arrive on the 28th and start work September 8th, hoping that is enough time to at least find an apartment, get the cell phone sorted out, etc.

Hope to talk to you soon, thanks for all your help thus far, and I hope your cable comes in soon so you can catch those Cubs games!

Best,
Kerry
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:33 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

HI Violet,

one question, which hasn't been asked or brought up.. is your work permit in order??? You will not be here very long without one.

don't mean to throw a wrench into your plans and packing,, but it's most important, or you will be stopped at the door.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by violet819
Thanks Bimbound - that is all very useful information! I am starting to pack now, trying to take your advice in packing only what I think I will need. Did stock up on toiletries though as I hear they are pretty expensive on the island.

Where do you do your grocery shopping? I imagine those little stores at the gas stations are not the best bargain...

Also, what do you do for transportation? I think I may need to get a used car of some sort...

I am hoping to get WiFi in my apartment for internet, and I am bringing a couple of cell phones down with me to see if any of them will work with the sim cards down there..I imagine I will do a pay-as-you-go, since most of my calls home will be on the beloved Skype! What do you do for work? I arrive on the 28th and start work September 8th, hoping that is enough time to at least find an apartment, get the cell phone sorted out, etc.

Hope to talk to you soon, thanks for all your help thus far, and I hope your cable comes in soon so you can catch those Cubs games!

Best,
Kerry
There are quite a few grocery stores within walking/bus distance from me and at least one offers a shuttle that will bring me back home from the supermarket. There are also several supermarkets much further that are somewhat similar to Costco/Sam's club back in the states that I hear can be very reasonable. I have also now gotten in the habit of going to the local markets like Oistins for fish, Cheapside for produce very very reasonable. I don't have a car as of yet hich will be my next big hurdle but in the mean time the bus/van system they have here works very well except in certain scenarios wherein I have ot go West to bridgetown in order to go anywhere Northeast on the island. Looks like you should be onn the island by now, hope things are going well.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bimbound! I am now on island, I arrived yesterday after a four-hour delay at JFK for no apparent reason...ahh traveling. I'm staying in Hastings and looking in the papers for apartments as I type. Hoping to check out a few this weekend, as I start work on Monday the 8th. I believe we are going to a bar called Mojo tonight, you should come by! I've heard about the Costco type supermarket which sounds great, and I'd love to check out the local markets for produce and fish. When do you start your job?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Hi Violet,

We're going to Mojo tonight too, to celebrate a friend's birthday. Should be pretty busy and fun there tonight. If you'd like to introduce yourself, you'll be able to recognize me pretty easily: I'm the one limping around with a cane (broken toe).

Bimbound, are you going too? Feel free to say hi.

Pricesmart is the Costco-type store, and it's well worth a membership. We got our memberships almost 2 weeks ago and have been there 4 times already (okay, we might be a bit addicted...).

Foxy
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

I will try to make it over there not sure what the plans are for tonight, haven't been to Mojo but I think it should just be down the road. Went out last night so Im moving kinda slow today. We shall see but sounds fun.