Update

Old Jul 22nd 2015, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Update

When I last posted I had just accepted a job and was renting a room in a house (around June 2014). The room in the house didn't work out - the landlord announced in September that the heating wasn't going on until December and removed the thermostat so I could not switch the heating on. Both the landlord and his partner became more and more difficult to live with as well - I realised after I moved out that the partner felt threatened by me living there (I think).

So I jumped into renting a flat by myself but it was too expensive to manage and the new landlords were also very difficult. On top of that the job I had turned out to be incredibly stressful with a manager who had a history of grievances brought against him by staff.

By November I realised I couldn't make ends meet on the salary I was being paid and my work situation was also very very difficult and not something that was going to change. I also realised I was unlikely to be able to get a mortgage in the UK with my age, savings and income taken into account and I couldn't face more bad UK private renting experiences. I left my job at the end of that month and decided to apply to do an MSW in Ontario and return to Canada. I was ill for all of December and January with a viral infection but got my MSW application in and prepared to move back. In February I found out I had a place on the course. In March I went out to Canada to sort out an apartment - but found out I couldn't make a decision which was very strange. I also experienced very bad anxiety. All this coincided with my menopausal symptoms getting worse - I didn't realise one could get really ill from hormones getting seriously out of balance - the symptoms I was experiencing were related to that.

I came back from a visit to Canada and decided to put a move back in place. Then I had a panic attack the same week (which I didn't realise was a panic attack) and thought it meant I shouldn't move back (it was another menopausal symptom). So I cancelled the move. Had to pay landlords 6 months rent up front as otherwise I was going to be homeless (they were not pleased I had just rescinded my notice even though they didn't have anyone else lined up to move in).

However when I fully realised what I had done (cancelling the move) and given up my MSW place I had a nervous breakdown. Then I got given HRT which helped but got the wrong treatment and very poor medical care for a month. (Meanwhile Canadian university said I would need to reapply for a place on the MSW next year - but they are changing the course and may also be changing the admissions criteria).

Then someone stepped in and helped me switch Dr's and I was put on another form of HRT and started to get better. But am still recovering from the breakdown.

Turned out that as I hadn't been in the UK two out of the last three years, I wasn't eligible for any benefits and the savings I had (not substantial but over the threshold) also made me ineligible for benefits. So have been living off savings and relying on the emotional support and kindness of people in the community since I got ill. If I hadn't had my dwindling savings I would have been destitute.

It's been a horrendous experience. Am getting better but I have not worked since the end of November and don't know when I will be able to fully - hoping I can in the next few months.

Having said all that, today I got offered an almshouse flat which is at a much lower rent than market rents and the people seem very very kind. I am hoping at some point I can start my life over again. The experiences of the last year have broken my spirit and the private rental experiences I have had have been utterly horrendous.

Last edited by Englishmaple; Jul 22nd 2015 at 8:19 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 9:37 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update

I'm very sorry to hear that you have had such a horrible time. I remember that you moved back to the UK after a relationship breakdown, and about your difficulties with accommodation. I'm glad that you've got an almshouse flat. I hope it does mean a new beginning for you.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Editha. I knew things would be challenging moving back to the UK but I had no idea things would work out the way they have. I have to say that the rental market in the UK is really difficult now - I'm a really good nice tenant (take care of things, pay bills on time, am considerate etc) and my experiences with both landlords have been extremely unpleasant. The rents are also high up North compared to lower salary levels too - so even moving up North isn't a solution (as some people I've met have suggested). It's like the rental market bears no relation to the mortgage market - and because there are no rental controls and very little regulation to protect tenants and there's such a shortage of accommodation, landlords are just behaving appallingly. I've met so many people who's adult children are living at home because they simply can't afford to move out. If you haven't got family support or two incomes coming in, you're basically in an untenable position in terms of trying to afford anything to rent, beyond being a lodger in a room.

I mention this because, although there have been a few nice things about moving back to the UK, knowing what I know now about the housing crisis, I would never have moved back unless I could have afforded to buy (which I can't). I think anyone looking to move back and rent in the UK is fortunate if they have a good experience and that buying UK property is the only way to ensure one can live in reasonable peace given the current rental market.

So I am incredibly grateful for the almshouse flat - the people seem very kind and I just really hope it works out. But longterm, depending on how things go, I haven't ruled out moving back to Canada because, at least there, they know how to run a fairer rental market.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:47 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I read your post with growing alarm. How awful for you. I can understand how this hell transpires ( I had terrible boss at work, couldn't leave so ended up on anxiety Ned's after two years of chronic insonnia) so mine is so much less than yours and it's been terrible to deal with.

I want to say I am sending you much online support from afar and hope it now continues to go well.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I am puzzled by this sentence 'Turned out that as I hadn't been in the UK two out of the last three years, I wasn't eligible for any benefits' I thought as a UK citizen once your established that once you had established you fit the criteria for The Habitual Residence Test, you would be eligible for any benefits you would normally entitle to?
This is copied from Age Uk org.uk website

The Habitual Residence Test
The Habitual Residence Test (HRT) is a test to see if you normally live in the
United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, the Republic of Ireland or the Isle of
Man. If you have been absent from the UK and are applying for local authority
housing or income-related benefits such as Pension Credit, Housing Benefit,
or Council Tax Reduction you may be subject to the HRT.
There is no legal definition of 'habitual residence' but there is a substantial
body of case law indicating the factors that should be taken into account.
Decision-makers will look at:
 what you have done to establish a home in the UK, before and after arrival
 where you expect to live in future
 your reasons for coming to the UK
 the length of time you spent abroad
Factsheet 25  March 2014 4 of 23
Returning from abroad
 family ties in the UK and in the country you have come from.
The HRT is applied to the claimant so if you are one of a couple, decide
which of you is most likely to pass the test.
If you do not pass the HRT you will not be able to access housing and
income-related benefits. It can take anything from a few days up to six
months to pass the HRT but if it takes over three months, decision-makers
should have to give convincing reasons as to why you are required to wait
this long.
If you have been abroad for a temporary period, or you are re-establishing
ties in the UK, you may be treated as habitually resident from the first day of
your return to the UK. The decision maker should consider factors like your
intentions when you left the country originally (whether you intended to return
at some stage), the ties and contacts with the UK that you established and
maintained while you were abroad, and the strength of your intention to
resettle in the UK.
If you are likely to need benefits and housing as soon as you arrive in the UK
think about how you would cope if you did not pass the HRT.
If you apply for state benefits and are refused on the grounds that you are not
habitually resident, seek advice about appealing the decision. Submit a new
claim for benefit each time you are refused, and appeal every negative
decision. If you end up with more than one appeal, it is likely that they will all
be heard in one hearing. Taking this approach will ensure that you get your
entitlement at the earliest possible date.

Did you not pass it because you were contemplating doing a further qualification in Canada? By giving up that place you should now fit the criteria.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to read your horrendous story about your rentals and job. I am really sad for you but hang in there, it is possible that maybe now you will receive some form of benefits. Sending you hugs ((( ))))
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you and it would appear that you have been badly let down as well as treated unfailry.

My advice would be "go to see the Citizens Advice Burea" asap.

All the very best
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jjmb
I am puzzled by this sentence 'Turned out that as I hadn't been in the UK two out of the last three years, I wasn't eligible for any benefits' I thought as a UK citizen once your established that once you had established you fit the criteria for The Habitual Residence Test, you would be eligible for any benefits you would normally entitle to?
This is copied from Age Uk org.uk website

The Habitual Residence Test
The Habitual Residence Test (HRT) is a test to see if you normally live in the
United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, the Republic of Ireland or the Isle of
Man. If you have been absent from the UK and are applying for local authority
housing or income-related benefits such as Pension Credit, Housing Benefit,
or Council Tax Reduction you may be subject to the HRT.
There is no legal definition of 'habitual residence' but there is a substantial
body of case law indicating the factors that should be taken into account.
Decision-makers will look at:
 what you have done to establish a home in the UK, before and after arrival
 where you expect to live in future
 your reasons for coming to the UK
 the length of time you spent abroad
Factsheet 25  March 2014 4 of 23
Returning from abroad
 family ties in the UK and in the country you have come from.
The HRT is applied to the claimant so if you are one of a couple, decide
which of you is most likely to pass the test.
If you do not pass the HRT you will not be able to access housing and
income-related benefits. It can take anything from a few days up to six
months to pass the HRT but if it takes over three months, decision-makers
should have to give convincing reasons as to why you are required to wait
this long.
If you have been abroad for a temporary period, or you are re-establishing
ties in the UK, you may be treated as habitually resident from the first day of
your return to the UK. The decision maker should consider factors like your
intentions when you left the country originally (whether you intended to return
at some stage), the ties and contacts with the UK that you established and
maintained while you were abroad, and the strength of your intention to
resettle in the UK.
If you are likely to need benefits and housing as soon as you arrive in the UK
think about how you would cope if you did not pass the HRT.
If you apply for state benefits and are refused on the grounds that you are not
habitually resident, seek advice about appealing the decision. Submit a new
claim for benefit each time you are refused, and appeal every negative
decision. If you end up with more than one appeal, it is likely that they will all
be heard in one hearing. Taking this approach will ensure that you get your
entitlement at the earliest possible date.

Did you not pass it because you were contemplating doing a further qualification in Canada? By giving up that place you should now fit the criteria.
If your savings are over 16K you're not entitled to any UK benefits apart from PIP which replaced Disability Living Allowance. However, when PIP replaced the Disability Living Allowance the rules were changed so that if you haven't spent 2 of the last 3 years in the UK (even if you're a British born Citizen) then you don't qualify for PIP which is not means tested and is for people who are sick.

I actually went to the CAB for advice and have also been supported by a mental health agency worker - and they checked it out too.

So the Habitual Residence Test doesn't enter into it for me.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by themajor
I feel for you and it would appear that you have been badly let down as well as treated unfailry.

My advice would be "go to see the Citizens Advice Burea" asap.

All the very best
Went to the CAB - they said I was a "unique case" and there was nothing they could unfortunately do given the way the system is run at the moment. Basically don't have a breakdown when you've left your job to move back to another country and are in between jobs and have savings over 16K! You have to exhaust your savings before you get any help - and my savings aren't that huge and were intended to go towards retirement (well, I had originally hoped to put them towards a mortgage but that dream flew out the window when I saw the house prices and relatively salary levels ...).

The other horrible thing I've discovered (and i don't know how many councils are now doing this) but the council that I'm with won't even allow me to be registered on the council housing waiting list because the demand for housing is so great and I have savings ... savings incredibly insufficient to get a mortgage with but that make ineligible to be registered on the housing list. So if I was to send a form in (and I completed one before the agency worker who is supporting me spoke to the council) all I will receive by return of post is information on the private rental sector and part rent/part buy properties - which I also can't afford as I don't have sufficient capital for the costs.

So the UK housing market has become a complete crap shoot unless you have money and income to get a mortgage OR you go through some horrendous experience and the almshouse association help out (and I've been told I'm very lucky to have got the help I have with them because they are in demand too - and I am incredibly grateful given what I've gone through).
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Just saw this article on line which also highlights the horrendous UK rental situation:

Can We Make Renting Better? - The Billfold
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:42 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Is the almshouse a nice place to live, and do you have security of tenure?
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Editha
Is the almshouse a nice place to live, and do you have security of tenure?
Compared to my lovely Canadian apartment, the almshouse studio flat is very different ... much more basic and in not a particularly good state when I saw it (but that was due to the last tenant leaving it in a not very good state) - they are going to decorate and clean it so hopefully by the time I move in, it will be decent but very basic - but I just feel so damn grateful that I've got it that I will make the best of it because I've always taken care of properties I've lived in. Plus the people I am renting from are so so kind - and that means more to me (after the experiences I've had) than anything.

In terms of tenure, I basically can stay there for as long as I like - they are not going to kick me out. All they ask is that I give them 1 months notice if I want to leave - but even that I can't be held to (although I would definitely do that if I did decide to move - highly unlikely at the moment). There's no tenancy agreement - basically you are invited to live in the almshouse by letter I think (I haven't had the paperwork yet). The person I spoke to said that in the past (and I guess in the present too) people are invited to live in the almshouse - you are selected. But in the past people who were in difficulty had the work house, the poor house and the almshouse and people selected for the almshouse were often selected on the basis of what they had done for the community as well. And that feels nice to know as I've done a lot to help people over the years volunteering and working in social services - I just never thought I would be in the situation I'm in now and be on the receiving end - and I'm so grateful for their help.

There's also no deposit - which is a relief. My current landlord has a deposit of almost a 1000 pounds and even when I move out, 144 pounds will be deducted by the letting agent simply as a charge for me vacating the property ... usury is what I would call it. I also had to pay 220 pounds in letting fees simply for the agreement and inventory when I moved in - and then corrected the inventory with the letting agent as it was full of errors. I also had to buy a fridge at 144 pounds as the landlord wouldn't buy one/provide one - but I'm taking that with me as the fridge in the almshouse needs replacing and I have a perfectly good one that will fit in its place with no extra cost to the almshouse people (kindness begets kindness).

Last edited by Englishmaple; Jul 23rd 2015 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Just saw this story in the Guardian and the accounts tell you everything you need to know about how awful renting is all over the UK:

Generation rent: how does it feel to be locked out of the housing market? | Money | The Guardian

I was particularly struck by the individual who had rented in Toronto and compared his experience to the UK - this is identical to my experience of Canada compared to the UK and was a major driving force for me to move back because the stress of renting in the UK is just horrendous and at 52 I knew I couldn't take much more of it. Although hopefully renting in the almshouse will be easier (I really really hope so).
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:27 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Sounds good.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 5:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What a horrendous time you have had. My hope for you is that both your fortunes and your health now improve & continue upward.

The almshouse should be a good community place to be , with lovely caring people. All the best with living there.

All the best too with whatever you decide for your future

Hugs

BEVS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.