Update

Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:11 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Update

We arrived in the first week of Dec and stumbled our way through Christmas and jet lag. It was lovely to have the time to see old friends and fight with family at this special time of year! lol. We have walked the dog in the surrounding countryside, visited various parts of the UK including London which was great fun and generally had lots of what I had been missing - FUN. The banter here is fantastic and being with people who know you down to your core is amazing. I feel like me again, I feel like people can see me. Bliss.

We had a few administrative hurdles such having to go back to Canada to go to the bank. I kid you not. The bank would not transfer our money as we hadn't set up an account manager. It was terrible. I was worried if one of us had died we'd have to go over too. Ah well, we should've looked into it before we left but stomach flu, a tent trailer and an SUV to sell in two weeks (we went travelling for a while in Canada and the States) left us with little time to think.

So, my husband is taking exams in Microsoft and Linux but don't ask me any more than that as I am a proud Luddite. I applied for a teaching position and got it and start on Monday! I'm so excited as it is an amazing school. If hubby gets a job in the next couple of months we can start to look for a house.

Living at my Mum's is seriously crowded but the lack of financial pressure is great. Now I have a job we can even put money away to make a much needed bigger deposit.

So, life so far is going well. We all seem to sick more than we were back home but we've gone from living around very few people, in very clean air. I feel like a smoker here!

The weather hasn't really bothered me. We arrived in snow and it has been fairly dry. The skies are often grey and I miss beautiful stars but we've had some amazing moons. I miss the wildlife of Canada and the feeling of wilderness around you. However, I do not miss it enough to return. We are on our way to a better financial future and tons of support with the children and laughter.......so much laughter.....x
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:14 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update

Nice update, thanks for taking the time to write!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 3:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Nice post, I have no doubt that you will make this work for you, your happiness is palpable through your posts. Its also good for those of us still at the worrying stage (will we get jobs,get the kids into a decent school, will they be happy or resent us for moving them again? etc etc) to hear about those who have come through the other side.
We went back for Christmas and I remember feeling so light and more like my old self- and laughing.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update, you sound so happy ......well done for getting a job so quickly too!
I hope everything continues to go well!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:26 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
Nice post, I have no doubt that you will make this work for you, your happiness is palpable through your posts. Its also good for those of us still at the worrying stage (will we get jobs,get the kids into a decent school, will they be happy or resent us for moving them again? etc etc) to hear about those who have come through the other side.
We went back for Christmas and I remember feeling so light and more like my old self- and laughing.
It's so good to laugh isn't it. I hope you get some belly rumbles in the near future. I laughed on the island but I have so many more people to giggle with now and share my woes. Lovely to feel connected again.

I have often wondered what it is that makes a successful expat and I think people are more important to some and environment is more important to others. For me it's people all the way. Without them I just don't tick. My girl friend had an emergency mammogram last week and thankfully she's fine but I was so, so glad to be here. Moments like that confirm everything.

Anyway, thanks all. I hope everyone here is happy with their moves back or their decisions to stay. It's so important not to live in limbo.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:52 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
We arrived in the first week of Dec and stumbled our way through Christmas and jet lag. It was lovely to have the time to see old friends and fight with family at this special time of year! lol. We have walked the dog in the surrounding countryside, visited various parts of the UK including London which was great fun and generally had lots of what I had been missing - FUN. The banter here is fantastic and being with people who know you down to your core is amazing. I feel like me again, I feel like people can see me. Bliss.

We had a few administrative hurdles such having to go back to Canada to go to the bank. I kid you not. The bank would not transfer our money as we hadn't set up an account manager. It was terrible. I was worried if one of us had died we'd have to go over too. Ah well, we should've looked into it before we left but stomach flu, a tent trailer and an SUV to sell in two weeks (we went travelling for a while in Canada and the States) left us with little time to think.

So, my husband is taking exams in Microsoft and Linux but don't ask me any more than that as I am a proud Luddite. I applied for a teaching position and got it and start on Monday! I'm so excited as it is an amazing school. If hubby gets a job in the next couple of months we can start to look for a house.

Living at my Mum's is seriously crowded but the lack of financial pressure is great. Now I have a job we can even put money away to make a much needed bigger deposit.

So, life so far is going well. We all seem to sick more than we were back home but we've gone from living around very few people, in very clean air. I feel like a smoker here!

The weather hasn't really bothered me. We arrived in snow and it has been fairly dry. The skies are often grey and I miss beautiful stars but we've had some amazing moons. I miss the wildlife of Canada and the feeling of wilderness around you. However, I do not miss it enough to return. We are on our way to a better financial future and tons of support with the children and laughter.......so much laughter.....x
Well done you ..............
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 5:33 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Lilly I'm really, really glad to hear you are so happy to be back!