Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Three years to-day from Oz . . . I feel trapped!

Three years to-day from Oz . . . I feel trapped!

Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three years to-day from Oz . . . I feel trapped!

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Sometimes coaches are easier for those kind of journeys.

National Express Torquay - Leamington around Christmas would be £63 for an open return if I've done it right.

http://coach.nationalexpress.com/nxbooking/journey-list
I've travelled between Leamington and Torquay by National Express. It takes more than 7 hours but the scenery is a lot more varied. I had thought of coaching to Heidelberg in Germany for a change, but it is mainly overnight so little can be seen.

I regret not renewing my British driving licence when it expired, I used to love driving. In 2009 I had a big fright on an autobahn returning from Lindau at Lake Constance. I was in the back seat in a car driven by my friend's husband, when I was shocked to find that I was the only one awake! I shouted too late, and we hit the central barrier at about 150 kph.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Aries, if you look at Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection and apply online for a Resident Return Visa you will almost certainly qualify for one. Under no circumstances apply for a ETA or tourist visa first, though. Any other visa will cancel your current PR visa.
I will need to look into this, thank you.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes Aries, I know these type of situations are not easy. Strive for happiness!
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear Aries, families are such 'fickle' things.

I am sure the accident on the Autobahn was totally horrifying never mind 'a big fright'. I used to live in Leamington Spa, right across the road from the station, (Manor Court flats). But the furthest I ever went on the train from there was to Birmingham to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the cinema with an aunt at the age of 10, how well I remember it hehehe.

It does sound from your posts that you are doing a great deal to try and integrate with people and I am sure that you will find your 'niche' eventually. So don't give up or give in, but somehow I get the feeling that you are not that kind of person.

Keep that Aussie option open by getting your 5 year RRV. even if you know it is not your intentions to ever live there permanently again. At least this will give you the freedom of choice and travel for a further 5 years. It is a very simple process and the online system is very easy to negate, the cost is minimal in the grand scheme of things. And as previously stated, if you get an ETA you will put your PR status in danger.

I was able to sort out a case for a client who did get a visitor visa after her PR was granted, which in essence cancelled her PR. But as this was due to receiving wrong advice from a travel agent I was able to get the decision reversed, but only after some serious submissions. You don't want to put yourself in that position if you can help it.

You will find plenty of 'friends' here with the expats, and I am sure your circle will grow beyond your wildest dreams.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
My experience of life has been that order to get back, you have to give. I suggest you stop putting up so many barriers to connecting with other people.
Hang on - that's a bit harsh, isn't it? You don't know the extent to which aries has gone to find herself a social circle; neither do you know the circumstances regarding her familial relationships. She came here for a little support - don't think she was soliciting opinions on how she handles her life.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Hang on - that's a bit harsh, isn't it? You don't know the extent to which aries has gone to find herself a social circle; neither do you know the circumstances regarding her familial relationships. She came here for a little support - don't think she was soliciting opinions on how she handles her life.
That's OK, when posts are put on a forum we have to expect criticism one way or another.

However you are right, support is always a good way forward.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mary C
Oh dear Aries, families are such 'fickle' things.

I am sure the accident on the Autobahn was totally horrifying never mind 'a big fright'. I used to live in Leamington Spa, right across the road from the station, (Manor Court flats). But the furthest I ever went on the train from there was to Birmingham to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the cinema with an aunt at the age of 10, how well I remember it hehehe.

It does sound from your posts that you are doing a great deal to try and integrate with people and I am sure that you will find your 'niche' eventually. So don't give up or give in, but somehow I get the feeling that you are not that kind of person.

Keep that Aussie option open by getting your 5 year RRV. even if you know it is not your intentions to ever live there permanently again. At least this will give you the freedom of choice and travel for a further 5 years. It is a very simple process and the online system is very easy to negate, the cost is minimal in the grand scheme of things. And as previously stated, if you get an ETA you will put your PR status in danger.

I was able to sort out a case for a client who did get a visitor visa after her PR was granted, which in essence cancelled her PR. But as this was due to receiving wrong advice from a travel agent I was able to get the decision reversed, but only after some serious submissions. You don't want to put yourself in that position if you can help it.

You will find plenty of 'friends' here with the expats, and I am sure your circle will grow beyond your wildest dreams.
The 5 year RRV certainly looks interesting, I comply with residency and I still have a bank account there. Resident Return Visa - Australian RRV You are very right, I don't give in, it is not my nature, though I can be dejected when things go wrong.

I'm sure I've seen the flats you mentioned, I've been to the station lots of times. With your Leamington Spa connection this link of filming Upstairs Downstairs might interest you. BBC - Upstairs Downstairs: Leamington Spa film set

In late 2011 I watched some of the filming, my brother lives in Clarendon Square. It was very cold weather, one of the actors put a hot water bottle under his jacket!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute

Morning Aries. Thank you for the link it was very very interesting. Believe this or not, even living in South Africa, during the winter it can get quite cold. My daughter, an avid rider and competitive jumper entered many horse shows, even during the winter. This required very very early starts (4am at the stables), I was well known for turning up at the stables with 2 hot water bottles, one down my trousers and one up my jumper!!!!!! I would then make a 'b' line for my horses stable where I would then snuggle very close to the horse who had the most wonderful 'thermal blanket'. We would snuggle until I was pushed out of the way so my daughter could prepare her for boxing.... grrrrr.

I was back in the UK for 3 weeks in Feb this year, and took a memory tour. Spent a lovely day in Leamington. While it has changed of course, much of the character still remains. I will be spending more time in Leamington I am sure.

If you are in no hurry to get your RRV at the moment. We must stay in touch, and when I get there in early 2015 I could then help you get it sorted out. (its what I do for a living here in SA).

Perfectly normal to get a little dejected when things do go the right way, I am exactly the same. But I have to keep reminding myself, that 'my way' is not always 'Gods way'. I was very down a couple of weeks ago, and on impulse purchased a 'lotto' ticket when the jackpot was R25 million. Asked God to bless me. Checked numbers next morning and giggled as I won R10.50. Looked to the heavens and said 'why?'. God replied 'it's a win isn't it'. Cashed in the ticket and blessed a homeless woman without hesitation with a toasted sandwich and cup of tea which cost way more than the R10.50.

I am looking forward to being able to spend time with my oldest daughter who went back to UK many years ago, but I have no interest what so ever in re connecting with my sister and step brother. I have never maintained contact with any of my old friends, so I doubt that they will factor in my new life when I get back. I will have to work so I am hoping that this will help me form new friendships.

The one thing I have learned is that friendships can come in so many ways. Friends can be made over the internet, where you never or rarely get to meet the 'virtual' friend, but they are still a friend. Then there are the physical friends. Both can be equally rewarding in our lives.

Don't be hard on yourself when you are having a 'down day', just know that not every day is a 'down day'.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 6:49 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry if I offended Aries or anyone else. I did not intend to be critical. I was trying to make positive suggestions.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm sorry if I offended Aries or anyone else. I did not intend to be critical. I was trying to make positive suggestions.
I may have jumped the gun here, Editha. Aries is a big girl and can obviously take care of herself. Apologies
Old Nov 13th 2014, 10:54 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

OK. I'm at fault. Looking back through past posts I see that I have a talent for unintentionally rubbing Aries fur the wrong way, and she mine. I'll remember in future.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Aries,
You certainly live in a lovely area of Devon, It seems to me today, that we all live in our own little cocoon, which is becoming smaller!

Gone our the days when we could chat to our neighbour across the fence whilst hanging out the washing, I certainly remember that many years ago in Liverpool,

But unfortunately those days are long gone, I think now that we have to make a concerted effort to go out, and help/meet people who are also in similar circumstances, I think that by the sound of your letter that you are basically a chatty type person,

So don't worry about your Brother, get that Beanie on, and go forth and meet people who will appreciate you irrespective of your headwear!!!!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flying Enterprise
Hi Aries,
You certainly live in a lovely area of Devon, It seems to me today, that we all live in our own little cocoon, which is becoming smaller!

Gone our the days when we could chat to our neighbour across the fence whilst hanging out the washing, I certainly remember that many years ago in Liverpool,

But unfortunately those days are long gone, I think now that we have to make a concerted effort to go out, and help/meet people who are also in similar circumstances, I think that by the sound of your letter that you are basically a chatty type person,

So don't worry about your Brother, get that Beanie on, and go forth and meet people who will appreciate you irrespective of your headwear!!!!
With your location being Cape Town, I'm reminded of my second visit there. Three of us started walking up the hill to the cable car, and I stopped to ask a young man who was cleaning his car, how far it would be. He offered to give us a lift, and on the way admitted that he had never been to the top of Table Mountain despite living on the slopes.

Isn't that typical of people living in tourist locations?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose its a case of oh, I'll do that one day, me I suffer from Vertigo, so its definitely a no from me!!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, so sorry to hear that you're feeling trapped - having the freedom to move always does that to you I reckon! I hated feeling trapped in Australia and it certainly coloured my feelings for the place - borderline loathing!

I've been back in UK just over three years now too - only my parents (with whom we live - they need the care) and an elderly aunt and uncle that we care for. I approached it with no expectations from anyone but seem to have been very lucky in the people I've met and become friends with. I must say that the age thing (I'm one of the older ones) hasn't even entered my head! I'd count as friends, people from mid 20s to mid 80s. Most of them I've met in knitting groups but some at the gym - I don't think they think of me as a mad old bat but you never can tell!

I hope you can find your niche either in UK or on a RRV back in Aus. One hates to say that it's a shame you didn't get Aus citizenship when you could because then all your options remain well and truly open!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.