Three year anniversary.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 1st 2016, 9:05 pm
  #1  
The Kwisatz Haderach
Thread Starter
 
Mummy in the foothills's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 8,062
Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Three year anniversary.

I figure it's update time yet again.
Three years ago we arrived back in UK. Dd started school in the village and will now go on to Welsh medium high school next Monday. Who knew she has some weird way with languages and can now speak Welsh unlike the rest of the family, Dh says it sounds like Klingon, just don't tell her.
I was working full time for the NHS as a healthcare assistant, then went back to Uni last winter and did the return to practice course and now am back working as an RN part time earning the same as I did full time. So thats good as I'm not getting any younger.
I did go through the "what the hell was I thinking" for a few months wondering is I ruined everyone's lives, then I see all my old friends in the US on facebook, battling wildfires, roasting the heat and drought and I remember what I hated about living there.
The family is doing well. Dh seems to have found his feet, goes hiking in Snowdonia with one of our neighbors and rides his bike along the shoreline bike path. His health is better here too.
Mum is doing well in her fancy retirement apartment near by, she has the best social life of us all. Lots of new friends and things to do.
So I think we are settled. Once the youngest child is old enough to be trusted to get herself off to school in the mornings on my measly two early shits a week, my husband is thinking of going to see his friend in California for the summer holidays and have some boating fun.
I on the other hand have more fun taking holidays in Europe, plenty hot enough for me.
Oh and now Dh has decided we should go back to living in a detached house, he can't get used to being attached, so once he finishes updating the house and decorating, it's going up for sale and I'll be packing, yet again!! Probably next summer.
Mummy in the foothills is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 2:10 am
  #2  
Administrator
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 30,975
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

What a fab update.

Thanks so much for sharing . Was a good read on this NZ Fri afternoon.

It is updates like this makes me feel that I may get home some day.
BEVS is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 3:37 pm
  #3  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Wirral UK
Posts: 8,221
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
I figure it's update time yet again.
Three years ago we arrived back in UK. Dd started school in the village and will now go on to Welsh medium high school next Monday. Who knew she has some weird way with languages and can now speak Welsh unlike the rest of the family, Dh says it sounds like Klingon, just don't tell her.
I was working full time for the NHS as a healthcare assistant, then went back to Uni last winter and did the return to practice course and now am back working as an RN part time earning the same as I did full time. So thats good as I'm not getting any younger.
I did go through the "what the hell was I thinking" for a few months wondering is I ruined everyone's lives, then I see all my old friends in the US on facebook, battling wildfires, roasting the heat and drought and I remember what I hated about living there.
The family is doing well. Dh seems to have found his feet, goes hiking in Snowdonia with one of our neighbors and rides his bike along the shoreline bike path. His health is better here too.
Mum is doing well in her fancy retirement apartment near by, she has the best social life of us all. Lots of new friends and things to do.
So I think we are settled. Once the youngest child is old enough to be trusted to get herself off to school in the mornings on my measly two early shits a week, my husband is thinking of going to see his friend in California for the summer holidays and have some boating fun.
I on the other hand have more fun taking holidays in Europe, plenty hot enough for me.
Oh and now Dh has decided we should go back to living in a detached house, he can't get used to being attached, so once he finishes updating the house and decorating, it's going up for sale and I'll be packing, yet again!! Probably next summer.
What a lovely read MITF, life sounds really good for you and your family (and especially your Mum!).

I hope you haven't got too attached to your house, I hate it when all the decorating's finished, you just sit down to enjoy it, and your other half wants to up sticks and move

Thanks for your lovely update
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:27 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
vikingsail's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Nebraska by the Sea
Posts: 918
vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

Thank you MITF. Great to hear your news and how things have transpired for you.
vikingsail is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2016, 6:43 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: South Bucks
Posts: 1,629
feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

Great to get an update from you. Sounds good. Know what you mean about attached. We are seriously considering packing up again and moving to a bungalow closer to seaside. Also just finished decorating and doing all the maintenance on our house and tomorrow an estate agent is coming in to give a valuation. Depending on what we get we may sell in spring or wait a while longer. OH wants to move more than me. Next month will be my year up and I will give a detailed update then.
feelbritish is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:39 pm
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 78,079
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

Great update. It's always nice to hear how our members are finding life after they have returned home. All the best.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2016, 6:46 pm
  #7  
Was in Canada, now home.
 
Editha's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,380
Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

I'm glad it is all working out well. By coincidence, I've just spent the weekend with some Welsh speakers. I agree about the Klingon!
Editha is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:06 pm
  #8  
The Kwisatz Haderach
Thread Starter
 
Mummy in the foothills's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 8,062
Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

Originally Posted by Editha View Post
I'm glad it is all working out well. By coincidence, I've just spent the weekend with some Welsh speakers. I agree about the Klingon!
My husband thanks you for confirming this
Mummy in the foothills is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2016, 9:54 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,109
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

If Welsh sounds like Klingon to an English speaker I wonder what English sounds like to a Welsh speaker ? I suppose there cannot be many Welsh-speakers now who have no English.


Congrats to daughter for acquiring the language !
scot47 is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2016, 10:02 am
  #10  
Was in Canada, now home.
 
Editha's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,380
Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

I've known Welsh speakers all my life, so I am familiar with the sound of the language, but not so Gaelic. Since returning to the UK I've become a fan of BBC Alba. I feel a little ashamed that even though I could listen to any of the major European languages and at least pick up a word here and there, Gaelic is as incomprehensible to me as Finnish.
Editha is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:08 am
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,109
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

You could learn it ! Or at least learn how to read a place name. I have heard countless anecdotes from luckless monoglots travelling in a gaelic-speaking area. They can see where they are on the map but cannot pronounce the place-name ! What do you do when you are phoning 999 after an accident ?
scot47 is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2016, 9:03 pm
  #12  
The Kwisatz Haderach
Thread Starter
 
Mummy in the foothills's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 8,062
Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
You could learn it ! Or at least learn how to read a place name. I have heard countless anecdotes from luckless monoglots travelling in a gaelic-speaking area. They can see where they are on the map but cannot pronounce the place-name ! What do you do when you are phoning 999 after an accident ?
You could spell it out?
As kids we used to giggle at the US visitors who always stopped in our village to ask the way to Betsy Co-ed as they headed to Snowdonia. Cruel children!
Luckily I can still read it, and have a little Welsh left I use at work, not much and not enough for a conversation.
Mummy in the foothills is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2016, 9:05 pm
  #13  
The Kwisatz Haderach
Thread Starter
 
Mummy in the foothills's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Wales
Posts: 8,062
Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

Originally Posted by feelbritish View Post
Great to get an update from you. Sounds good. Know what you mean about attached. We are seriously considering packing up again and moving to a bungalow closer to seaside. Also just finished decorating and doing all the maintenance on our house and tomorrow an estate agent is coming in to give a valuation. Depending on what we get we may sell in spring or wait a while longer. OH wants to move more than me. Next month will be my year up and I will give a detailed update then.
I think once you are in the right house it's easier to settle, hopefully for good.
Mummy in the foothills is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2016, 9:25 pm
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,109
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

Spell it out ? Am I the only one who is shocked that so few can do the Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta thing ?
scot47 is offline  
Old Sep 13th 2016, 11:27 am
  #15  
Was in Canada, now home.
 
Editha's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,380
Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three year anniversary.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
You could spell it out?
As kids we used to giggle at the US visitors who always stopped in our village to ask the way to Betsy Co-ed as they headed to Snowdonia. Cruel children!
Luckily I can still read it, and have a little Welsh left I use at work, not much and not enough for a conversation.
If I visit the highlands and islands, I will make an effort to learn pronunciation before I go. But, my OH already can, so he can give me lessons.
Editha is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement