Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Ten days back...observations.

Ten days back...observations.

Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ten days back...observations.

Ive been back 10 days and here are a few observations.

Firstly, I'm astonished by the reasonable costs of the things that are, by comparison, expensive in the USA eg. a broadband, landline and TV package. I've found that an all bells and whistles package is less than half what I paid in the US.
Mobile phone use is cheap. My monthly cost works out to about 15% of what I paid Verizon! All down to lots of competition in the marketplace

IKEA is the eighth wonder of the world. Not only is a visit to a store a cultural event,after two days of putting together an apartment's worth of furniture which is chic and comfortable I'm ready to concede that the Swedes should rule the world. Talk about being organized to the nth degree!!!
After 40 years of huge furniture I'm discovering I'm a minimalist at heart.

I'm going to have to up my game in the personal style stakes. No more going out in sweat pants and a tee shirt to the supermarket. Older folk here dress nicely even to go for a walk. My co-residents at the retirement apt block are all so stylish I might have to break down and put on a bit of powder and lippy to take out the trash.
Gone are the days of age inappropriate dressing. Time to break out the pearls.

Jacket potatoes are a thing. They are served everywhere with the wierdest of toppings: tuna mayonnaise, prawns in a pink sauce, chicken curry.....
Not only are they a thing, they are HUGE! Where are these steroidal monsters grown??
Nevertheless, delicious.

What's missing? The awful, gnawing feelings of not fitting in, of forever being a stranger in a strange land; the neverending homesickness.
Gone.
It's good to be home again.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ten days back...observations.

Great post! Glad you are happy!
Old Apr 14th 2018, 12:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Fab update.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Jensmate,

You made me chuckle! Glad to hear that it's going well so far and that it feels like home. My dd discovered the wonder of jacket potatoes when we were visiting - she loves them but is a bit of a purist preferring cheese to the more imaginative toppings.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 7:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
I'm going to have to up my game in the personal style stakes. No more going out in sweat pants and a tee shirt to the supermarket. Older folk here dress nicely even to go for a walk. My co-residents at the retirement apt block are all so stylish I might have to break down and put on a bit of powder and lippy to take out the trash..

Sweat pants are one thing but PJ pants
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Scot_74 is an unknown quantity at this point

What's missing? The awful, gnawing feelings of not fitting in, of forever being a stranger in a strange land; the neverending homesickness.
Gone.

This comment made my eyes well up. I am so happy for you!! I can't wait till I am home and feel the same way!
Old Apr 18th 2018, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Great post and delightful observations! I have put on so much weight since back that my nice smart clothes are all in a suitcase while I try to lose it to be able to dress smart again!
Old Apr 19th 2018, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Great post and delightful observations! I have put on so much weight since back that my nice smart clothes are all in a suitcase while I try to lose it to be able to dress smart again!
I think a few of us have had this problem after coming back so it's worth keeping in mind when we're tempted to go mad in the bakery/farm shop/chippy after going so long without the yummy stuff. My weight spiralled right out of control after I first moved back but I've lost all my post-return pounds now. I think we go a bit crazy eating all the stuff we missed and once we realise we can now have it any time, the cravings tend to calm down. I don't think we've had fish & chips since last Christmas.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:42 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been back 10 days and here are a few observations.

Firstly, I'm astonished by the reasonable costs of the things that are, by comparison, expensive in the USA eg. a broadband, landline and TV package. I've found that an all bells and whistles package is less than half what I paid in the US.
Mobile phone use is cheap. My monthly cost works out to about 15% of what I paid Verizon! All down to lots of competition in the marketplace

IKEA is the eighth wonder of the world. Not only is a visit to a store a cultural event,after two days of putting together an apartment's worth of furniture which is chic and comfortable I'm ready to concede that the Swedes should rule the world. Talk about being organized to the nth degree!!!
After 40 years of huge furniture I'm discovering I'm a minimalist at heart.

I'm going to have to up my game in the personal style stakes. No more going out in sweat pants and a tee shirt to the supermarket. Older folk here dress nicely even to go for a walk. My co-residents at the retirement apt block are all so stylish I might have to break down and put on a bit of powder and lippy to take out the trash.
Gone are the days of age inappropriate dressing. Time to break out the pearls.

Jacket potatoes are a thing. They are served everywhere with the wierdest of toppings: tuna mayonnaise, prawns in a pink sauce, chicken curry.....
Not only are they a thing, they are HUGE! Where are these steroidal monsters grown??
Nevertheless, delicious.

Gone.
What part of the UK did you settle in in the end? I know what you mean about costs - every time I go to the supermarkets here in Chicago and compare what I get for the money I'm amazed by how much less it seems to be in the UK. I'm sure some parts of the US are cheaper, but still.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here in Folkestone. Not the prettiest of seaside towns, many areas down at heel but there are plans for rejuvenation and the high speed link to London has made it appealing to commuters. It's still very affordable!

It's been so easy to reassimilate! I found the key to getting the legalities squared away was to get on the council tax roll straight away. Application is done online at the council offices. The bill you receive a few days later outlining what you owe starting the first of the following month is what you will need, as well as your passport, to open a bank account.
I joined HSBC UK. The application process took two hours. Banks are VERY CAREFUL about who opens accounts these days. It took ever minute of those two hours. Unlike US banks where you leave with a functioning debit card, everything is done by mail so a debit card won't arrive until five days later.

Literally EVERYTHING is done by mail. In a society which prides itself on recycling there is a whole lotta wastage on paper eg. I made an appointment in person at the bank to sign up for the account and got an appointment time. Then I received a letter from the bank confirming that appointment. Why?
I received letters confirming my phone appointment for a doctor's visit, to notify me my router was in the mail........ Please, no more letters!!

LIDL. The best supermarket on earth. I bought a packet of spaghetti for 20p. What can 25¢ buy in the states?
A pound of West Country sea salted butter cost $1.50.
A packet of French roast coffee..about 10oz, is $2.30.
A bag of approx 10 shallots for $1.00.
Six plump Cumberland pork sausages for $2.80.
One can eat very well for next to nothing.

Betting. It sure is fun to drop into a betting shop for a flutter now and again! There was a man handy in Corals on the day of the Grand National to help us old ladies correctly fill out our betting slips. A pound each way on three horses didn't break my bank. After an £85 win on One For Arthur last year, I lost on all three. Better luck next year.
Wished I'd had a few bob on the royal sprog's moniker. Louis was a guess of mine but I didn't get round to plonking down the dosh.

Saying hello. Oh! This hurts! Greeting strangers in the states is rarely if ever a negative experience. I've become used to saying hello or good morning and, at the very least, getting the same in return usually with a pleasant addition about the weather etc.
Not so here. While some do smile back, I've also been pointedly ignored or given to feel like a bad smell under that person's nose. Be kind people!

It's been 27 days. No regrets.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Great report. I too am thinking of returning when the time seems right. I love reading your posts. I did find when I was back in Scotland a few years ago that the food was a lot cheaper than over her in the U.S. May you continue to have "no regrets" and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Take Care xx
Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by curleytops
I think a few of us have had this problem after coming back so it's worth keeping in mind when we're tempted to go mad in the bakery/farm shop/chippy after going so long without the yummy stuff....I think we go a bit crazy eating all the stuff we missed and once we realise we can now have it any time, the cravings tend to calm down. I don't think we've had fish & chips since last Christmas.
Oh yes!!! I used to eat the most inappropriate amounts of clotted cream, chipolatas,fish and chips and Galaxy chocolate on my trips back. Now? It's all moderation since, as said, I can have them any time I desire.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by morayeel
Great report. I too am thinking of returning when the time seems right. I love reading your posts. I did find when I was back in Scotland a few years ago that the food was a lot cheaper than over her in the U.S. May you continue to have "no regrets" and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Take Care xx
Thank you. I hope you can get back home. It's all worth the wait. Best wishes!
Old Jun 25th 2018, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, Ikea!! Sounds like you’ve made a great move, continue to enjoy life by the seaside! At least with this lovely weather you’ll be able to walk the weight off (worked for me!) but nix the pearls! You have your own style!!!
Old Jun 28th 2018, 8:56 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Kooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond repute

Gone.

I love this so much! I've been in Canada for 11 years now and this still won't go away. Looking forward to more updates!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.