Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

And this is the reason why...............

And this is the reason why...............

Old Jun 28th 2014, 7:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: And this is the reason why...............

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hello everyone and wow, thanks again for all the good wishes you awesome people xx

Ok well I went to see him and it was just awful, I hardly recognise him and I know now there is nothing anyone can do. He's still got the old spark though, he told me he was fed up and he wanted to come home. The hospice staff were so amazing but we had a good chat and I said I could cope, I've got no kids, medical knowledge and time so they said ok, his face just lit up bless him! He refused to wait for an ambulance so we got him into my sister's car and off we went humming the tune from The Great Escape!

He's now home and Mum, my sister and I are taking it in turns to do 'night duty'. The support we have had is unreal - I never knew how much help was available. Within two days we have a special bed, mattress to prevent pressure sores, a commode, district nurses and a carer who comes in once a day. I have lot of drugs from the hospice so I'm doing all his meds plus fluids as he struggles to eat or drink. They even gave me oro-morphine in the take home pack, which I was surprised at, but it's great as I just give him a small amount when he needs it, he gets pain free rest and he looks so peaceful.

All my Dad wants is to die peacefully at home with dignity cared for by his family and that is what he shall have, he's been an amazing Dad so it's the least I could do.

Thanks again everyone :-) xx
Hey there from someone who has been exactly there with this 5 years ago. Just me and my Dad though. We were given the exact same amazing care , service & facilities , except it was just me so a Marie Curie nurse would have been put in place to help me. The bed was 25th century to me.

All the very best to you, as you all ease your Dad and yourselves into his final days or weeks.
It is a good thing you do. I have never ever regretted doing this , despite all the odds against it.

He is your lovely Dad & I simply wish you all a little, teeny bit of quality time if possible and to see him comfy and peaceful.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 7:30 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hey there from someone who has been exactly there with this 5 years ago. Just me and my Dad though. We were given the exact same amazing care , service & facilities , except it was just me so a Marie Curie nurse would have been put in place to help me. The bed was 25th century to me.

All the very best to you, as you all ease your Dad and yourselves into his final days or weeks.
It is a good thing you do. I have never ever regretted doing this , despite all the odds against it.

He is your lovely Dad & I simply wish you all a little, teeny bit of quality time if possible and to see him comfy and peaceful.
Thanks for your reply, it's so hard watching someone you love slip away but I'm glad I get to be here to help. It's tiring and hard work but I can't bear the thought of him going into hospital for his final days being cared for by strangers without us there.

I've been so grateful for the help we have received, like you say it's just amazing what you get isn't it? Everyone has been so kind and caring and very supportive,
I've got a good relationship with the carer and nurses already, they let me help out and I'm respectful of not interfering with their jobs. Mum is getting some rest too which is important as she has run herself ragged over the past few weeks. Today she's going out to see a friend for coffee as she needs a break, my sister is here every day and she is coming over all day Monday so I can have a break and go into town for a bit.

We are coping just fine but the help we have received makes all the difference. I know a lot of people don't get the choice/chance to do this as we all have different circumstances but like you said, no regrets and it's the right thing for us. Thanks for taking the time to reply, it helps hearing from other people who have gone through it x
Old Jun 28th 2014, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Betty, we are all here with you in spirit. (((MASSIVE HUGS)))
Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:01 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Miss B. I laughed and I cried when I read your comment about your dad humming the tune to "The Great Escape", no doubt in my mind that you are your father's daughter. I am glad your dad is home with you and your family.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 4:39 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone just to let you know my awesome Dad died last night. It was just us here, Mum my sister and I held him, told him we loved him and he just slipped away, it was very peaceful and dignified.

I'm still in shock but I do take comfort that I was here and carried out his wishes as I know a lot of people never get that chance.

Thank you for all your kind messages I'm very grateful xx
Old Jun 30th 2014, 4:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sorry for your loss. Hard days of grieving to come then for there is never a right time to lose someone is there.

I am sure you will give your Dad the very best of final farewells.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Big hugs Miss Betty, so sorry to hear this. Love and care to you, xx
Old Jun 30th 2014, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry you've lost your Dad MissB, he sounds like he was a lovely man. It's good to hear you're able to take some comfort from being there for him and being able to carry out his wishes; I think this will help you through the difficult times to come - I've been there. My condolences to you and your family.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your dad..
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone just to let you know my awesome Dad died last night. It was just us here, Mum my sister and I held him, told him we loved him and he just slipped away, it was very peaceful and dignified.

I'm still in shock but I do take comfort that I was here and carried out his wishes as I know a lot of people never get that chance.

Oh Miss B (((hugs))) what an amazing daughter you are! I am so sorry for your loss - sympathies to you and your family at this awful time.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for your loss MissB. My condolences to you and your family.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so very sorry for your great loss. Your Dad sounded like a lovely, lovely man and as IF1 said it's clear you got your wonderful sense of humor from him.

We have never met and yet reading about your family's loss has had me in tears, where ever you end up calling home in the future I am so glad that you made the move back to the UK which enabled you to have that last holiday with your Dad and that you were able to be there with him at the end I am sure that was a great comfort to him.

Deepest sympathy to you and your family. x
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:04 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

MissBetty, so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. My sympathies to you and your family
Old Jun 30th 2014, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

So very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family right now.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Saddened to hear this, but glad you were all there to send him on his way. May he rest in peace. We are here to lend a shoulder whenever you need it xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.