Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

One Year In as a returning single parent

One Year In as a returning single parent

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 5:30 pm
BE Newbie

Back2Blighty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One Year In as a returning single parent

Hi everyone

Sorry I don't tend to come on here very often now. Can't believe a whole year has come and gone. As you know I returned after my ex had a 'mid life crisis', I won't go into details on here but relations remain 'strained'. To be honest I don't think he believed I would leave all my worldly goods behind.

In the last year I have accomplished:

A job
A secondary school place for my daughter (after appeal)
Reconnecting with family and friends
Made some new friends (both myself and my daughter)
Bought a car
Bought a house
Enjoyed a holiday to Majorca
Been on a £9.50 Sun holiday!
Realised what great friends I have
Realised that I can't do it all and be a bit more kind to myself
Eaten fish and chips of the pier
Walk more
Days out in London

Still to be finalise:
A busier social life
Making a garden
More holidays
Helping daughter continue to catch up by paying for extra tuition.

There have been days where I have said to myself I should have stayed in Canada especially if the 'ex' is being childish and demanding and it would be easier to deal with him.

Although he has all our worldly goods alongside his mid-life crisis sports car and endless gadgets I am still 'richer' than him.

At the end of the day we all return for different reasons, crystal balls are not usually available when we make the decision to leave the UK.

All I am saying is that anything is possible if you really want it.

Good luck everyone.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default Re: One Year In as a returning single parent

Congrats on your return home and the successful integration of your daughter in school and you with a social life. Reading ur post made me smile. You've accomplished a lot in a year. Cheers to a busier social life, more holidays, a garden and everything else on your list
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask why there were problems in getting a school place for your daughter ?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Back2Blighty - you've done amazing things in that short twelve months! I too know what it's like to start again, and although it can be hard, you have the satisfaction of looking around you, at your settled daughter, your house, your job - and you can say 'I did all that on my own'. Thanks for your update and may things keep getting better and better for you
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you've had a lot on your plate (before moving too) so congratulations for making such incredible headway and all the best to you towards completing your list. Good luck!!
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you got the better end of things, and he got a lot of "stuff"
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, what a journey. You are definitely 'winning'!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update. It certainly sounds like you had a lot to contend with but have done a really good job of it! You are definitely "richer" ! Glad life is good and wishing you all the best.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Back2Blighty
Hi everyone

Sorry I don't tend to come on here very often now. Can't believe a whole year has come and gone. As you know I returned after my ex had a 'mid life crisis', I won't go into details on here but relations remain 'strained'. To be honest I don't think he believed I would leave all my worldly goods behind.

In the last year I have accomplished:

A job
A secondary school place for my daughter (after appeal)
Reconnecting with family and friends
Made some new friends (both myself and my daughter)
Bought a car
Bought a house
Enjoyed a holiday to Majorca
Been on a £9.50 Sun holiday!
Realised what great friends I have
Realised that I can't do it all and be a bit more kind to myself
Eaten fish and chips of the pier
Walk more
Days out in London

Still to be finalise:
A busier social life
Making a garden
More holidays
Helping daughter continue to catch up by paying for extra tuition.

There have been days where I have said to myself I should have stayed in Canada especially if the 'ex' is being childish and demanding and it would be easier to deal with him.

Although he has all our worldly goods alongside his mid-life crisis sports car and endless gadgets I am still 'richer' than him.

At the end of the day we all return for different reasons, crystal balls are not usually available when we make the decision to leave the UK.

All I am saying is that anything is possible if you really want it.

Good luck everyone.
Indeed you are richer. True riches are not defined by money. And what a lot you have accomplished!!!! Something to really be proud of!

And how on earth did you manage a holiday for £9.50???
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Happy for you. Thanks for the update.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 9:55 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Indeed you are richer. True riches are not defined by money. And what a lot you have accomplished!!!! Something to really be proud of!

And how on earth did you manage a holiday for £9.50???
'The Sun' newspaper does them. You collect coupons or something and get a holiday in Britain
Old Jul 26th 2014, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Shazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant future

WOW your story is so similar to mine. I left all my worldly belongings behind also and started from scratch after 23 years but like you I'm way richer and happier today than I've ever been!
Well done on accomplishing so much!!
Old Jul 27th 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shazban
WOW your story is so similar to mine. I left all my worldly belongings behind also and started from scratch after 23 years but like you I'm way richer and happier today than I've ever been!
Well done on accomplishing so much!!
That's wonderful! Believe me, I can't wait to get back to my own country. I know most of its faults and I'd far rather deal with my own country's faults and its people than those of another.

Wish you the best for the future!
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:03 pm
BE Newbie

Back2Blighty is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your good wishes. As I said before I don't tend to come on here much now but I will keep you updated in another 6 months.

Best wishes to all returning Brits. Believe me it can be done.

Take care everyone.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 8:11 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! Well done!