Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Notes from an even smaller island

Notes from an even smaller island

Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notes from an even smaller island

Rainly island life would suit me well, even the isolation being a foreigner is ok because I'm ok with my books and things. Yes I see why you like it there alright.

Heat can be most oppressive.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

Yesterday on the IOW.
This looks a lot like a Midwestern American Twister. The kind that pop up somewhere around Nebraska, Kansas, Arkansas way. However the difference is it's not picking up the dust and debris of the hot dry central USA and so it hasn't that authentic Tornado tone to it.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

tumbleweedly I am happy to provide more advice, from a Jacobite perspective
Old Nov 4th 2020, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

mica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the rough

Hi Bud, do you mind me asking you what drew you to move back and live on the Isle of Wight? I'm currently thinking of doing the same but haven't spent much time there and would like to get some idea of what it's like. Your posts have really helped so far!
Old Nov 17th 2020, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mica painter
Hi Bud, do you mind me asking you what drew you to move back and live on the Isle of Wight? I'm currently thinking of doing the same but haven't spent much time there and would like to get some idea of what it's like. Your posts have really helped so far!
Apologises for not replying sooner, I only look at the forum every now and again these days, which may give you and indication as to how settled we are. .

What drew us to the IOW? Well, we were looking at different places to retire and IOW was one of the places on the list. We first visited for one day and stayed overnight in late October. Awful weather for the most part, but there was enough pull for us to try it out for a week in January. It was during that stay that we decided the places was for us. There wasn't a list of must haves or no no's, it was just a feeling that this was the place for us. Perhaps others who have had the same 'feeling' can explain it better.

What we like. The slower pace of life and laid back feel. The weather, it's fairly mild in winter. Having said that, last winter was very wet and we were fortunate enough to get away for a week to sunnier climes pre lockdown. Not sure how we'll manage this winter, but we'll get by. Dogs welcome almost evrywhere. Many coastal and rural walks. Links to the mainland are good, some say expensive, but there are ways to cut the cost. The ferries link up with onward travel on the mainland. One plus for us was the cruise ship terminal across the water in Southampton, as we enjoy(ed) cruising. Alas, due to covid, that bonus will not be available for some time.

Drawbacks: For us very few. You can feel a bit isolated and have a touch of island fever, but it's not like you can't get of the island if you need a change of scenery.

I'll be the first to say that the island isn't for everyone, but for us, as retirees with an adequate income it's a stress free way of life.

I'll reply to your PM later.

Hope this helps.

Old Nov 18th 2020, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

mica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the rough

Apologises for not replying sooner, I only look at the forum every now and again these days, which may give you and indication as to how settled we are. .

What drew us to the IOW? Well, we were looking at different places to retire and IOW was one of the places on the list. We first visited for one day and stayed overnight in late October. Awful weather for the most part, but there was enough pull for us to try it out for a week in January. It was during that stay that we decided the places was for us. There wasn't a list of must haves or no no's, it was just a feeling that this was the place for us. Perhaps others who have had the same 'feeling' can explain it better.

What we like. The slower pace of life and laid back feel. The weather, it's fairly mild in winter. Having said that, last winter was very wet and we were fortunate enough to get away for a week to sunnier climes pre lockdown. Not sure how we'll manage this winter, but we'll get by. Dogs welcome almost evrywhere. Many coastal and rural walks. Links to the mainland are good, some say expensive, but there are ways to cut the cost. The ferries link up with onward travel on the mainland. One plus for us was the cruise ship terminal across the water in Southampton, as we enjoy(ed) cruising. Alas, due to covid, that bonus will not be available for some time.

Drawbacks: For us very few. You can feel a bit isolated and have a touch of island fever, but it's not like you can't get of the island if you need a change of scenery.

I'll be the first to say that the island isn't for everyone, but for us, as retirees with an adequate income it's a stress free way of life.

I'll reply to your PM later.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for replying!
It does sound like the kind of life we're after. We're currently living a similar life so can relate to feeling isolated and a slower pace. We just lack the balance of a social life or even just being able to visit friends within a day, not that we're social butterflies but it would be nice to have the option. Not to mention the language barrier and cultural differences. I'm just worrying that I have a habit to think the grass is always greener and we've moved home several times in the last 3 years.
I'm just itching to get there to visit now but will have to hold on a bit longer. I was also wondering how to find a rental whilst we live far away. No rush to reply btw
Old Aug 6th 2021, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Walmsc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bud
Really great to see your post. We have been on Vancouver Island for 6 years and from Southampton. We have sold and moving to the Island rather than back to the mainland on the basis that its sounds like it is a slower place with (sometimes) less people, community feel, farmers markets and local produce etc, as close to this island as we could get while being close to family in new forest.
We have a winter let in Bonchurch for 6 months, thankfully, as rentals sound very challenging there right now, well housing in general. Do you have any further advice for when we arrive? Drs surgery /vets to avoid etc. I know we wont get an NHS dentist, but pay here so used to that. When you bought as an expat did you have any extra restrictions? Hope all is ok after the recent storms, I saw the flooding on fb.
Have a great day
Claire
Old Aug 8th 2021, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Xisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud of

https://isleofwightwebcams.co.uk/appley-beach/

https://www.countypress.co.uk/

I keep an eye on the weather,particularly Appley Beach,as I spent some of the best years of my life there.Itโ€™s a sobering sight from what I recall from the mid seventies,with hundreds of deck chairs and packed beaches.Iโ€™ve returned often during the past thirty years Iโ€™ve been living in the USA.
Homes seem to be in very short supply and IMO overpriced.
Bonchurch is a beautiful area and good to experience it during the winter to get a true feeling of that side of the Island.
I read the County Press also,it gives you an idea of whatโ€™s good and bad,types of crime etc.
Depending on your age,kids,expectations etc .the Island can feel like a sanctuary or a trap ? I still believe it to be a special place,and a desirable place to live as long as you have the ability and freedom to get away when you please.Only you can decide.?
How I viewed the place fifty years ago and what it could offer me today is very different.
I have never been to Vancouver Island,but I believe it to be an outstanding place to live .You have difficult decisions to make,I would suggest โ€ฆ
Good Luck!
Old Aug 9th 2021, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Xisle
https://isleofwightwebcams.co.uk/appley-beach/

https://www.countypress.co.uk/

I keep an eye on the weather,particularly Appley Beach,as I spent some of the best years of my life there.Itโ€™s a sobering sight from what I recall from the mid seventies,with hundreds of deck chairs and packed beaches.Iโ€™ve returned often during the past thirty years Iโ€™ve been living in the USA.
Homes seem to be in very short supply and IMO overpriced.
Bonchurch is a beautiful area and good to experience it during the winter to get a true feeling of that side of the Island.
I read the County Press also,it gives you an idea of whatโ€™s good and bad,types of crime etc.
Depending on your age,kids,expectations etc .the Island can feel like a sanctuary or a trap ? I still believe it to be a special place,and a desirable place to live as long as you have the ability and freedom to get away when you please.Only you can decide.?
How I viewed the place fifty years ago and what it could offer me today is very different.
I have never been to Vancouver Island,but I believe it to be an outstanding place to live .You have difficult decisions to make,I would suggest โ€ฆ
Good Luck!
Thankyou for your reply and links. Vancouver Island is absolutely beautiful but it is only my husband and I and all our friends and family are back in the UK, so hence the move home. We are looking for a simple quiet life, so hopefully it will work ok. We are expecting it to be busier than here for sure but hoping that as we have only been away 6 years that we can adjust.
Apply looks beautiful ๐Ÿ˜
Old Aug 10th 2021, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Walmsc
Hi Bud
Really great to see your post. We have been on Vancouver Island for 6 years and from Southampton. We have sold and moving to the Island rather than back to the mainland on the basis that its sounds like it is a slower place with (sometimes) less people, community feel, farmers markets and local produce etc, as close to this island as we could get while being close to family in new forest.
We have a winter let in Bonchurch for 6 months, thankfully, as rentals sound very challenging there right now, well housing in general. Do you have any further advice for when we arrive? Drs surgery /vets to avoid etc. I know we wont get an NHS dentist, but pay here so used to that. When you bought as an expat did you have any extra restrictions? Hope all is ok after the recent storms, I saw the flooding on fb.
Have a great day
Claire
Hi Claire, saw your post and wanted to say we're doing the same as you, but from Italy. We've got a winter let for 6 months in Shanklin in a caravan while we search for rentals. I'm worried too as there's a few facebook groups I'm in that constantly say they get snapped up the same day plus we have pets. I think we will have a back up plan and rent on the mainland until we can afford to buy on the island. Maybe they'll be less demand over winter?
I think if you have a dentist/gp appointment on the mainland you can get ferry discounts? I can't offer any advice but maybe to join the facebook groups like Isle of Wight Newbies/Overners. If renting, it helps to have some decent savings/pension if you aren't employed and references. Best of luck with the move!
Old Aug 11th 2021, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mica painter
Hi Claire, saw your post and wanted to say we're doing the same as you, but from Italy. We've got a winter let for 6 months in Shanklin in a caravan while we search for rentals. I'm worried too as there's a few facebook groups I'm in that constantly say they get snapped up the same day plus we have pets. I think we will have a back up plan and rent on the mainland until we can afford to buy on the island. Maybe they'll be less demand over winter?
I think if you have a dentist/gp appointment on the mainland you can get ferry discounts? I can't offer any advice but maybe to join the facebook groups like Isle of Wight Newbies/Overners. If renting, it helps to have some decent savings/pension if you aren't employed and references. Best of luck with the move!
Hi thank you for your reply. We have a dog, so will try and buy if we like it. Although I see from other threads there is a 2% stamp duty if buying sooner than 6 months. Like you we will need to be looking for other accommodation fairly quickly.
Thankyou for the recommendations I have joined the groups ๐Ÿ˜. Hope your move goes smoothly.
many thanks
Claire
Old Aug 12th 2021, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Although I see from other threads there is a 2% stamp duty if buying sooner than 6 months.
The 2% non-resident surcharge is refundable once you qualify as a resident, reclaimable within 2 years from the date of purchase.

Last edited by ianandhelena; Aug 12th 2021 at 1:21 am.
Old Aug 12th 2021, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
The 2% non-resident surcharge is refundable once you qualify as a resident, reclaimable within 2 years from the date of purchase.
Great news thanks for that ๐Ÿ˜
Old Sep 29th 2021, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bud
Have a great day
Claire
Apologises for being late in responding. Well done on getting a winter let. Rental properties are hard to find at the moment and for sale properties don't stay on the market long. We use the doctors in Ventnor, and have had no problem getting appointments/phone consultations even during the pandemic. For vets we use Green, Roberts and Butler from Carisbrooke. They have an office in Sandown, but I believe it is temporary closed due again to the pandemic. Mrs Bud managed to get a NHS dentist in Bembridge. I went private to a dentist in Wooton.

No problems buying as an expat. Within two months of arriving we were in our new home. The solicitors we used were excellent and there was no chain. Biggest problem we had was opening bank accounts/ insurance etc, as we had no credit record in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Ventnor beach the other night.

Old Sep 29th 2021, 5:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Apologises for being late in responding. Well done on getting a winter let. Rental properties are hard to find at the moment and for sale properties don't stay on the market long. We use the doctors in Ventnor, and have had no problem getting appointments/phone consultations even during the pandemic. For vets we use Green, Roberts and Butler from Carisbrooke. They have an office in Sandown, but I believe it is temporary closed due again to the pandemic. Mrs Bud managed to get a NHS dentist in Bembridge. I went private to a dentist in Wooton.

No problems buying as an expat. Within two months of arriving we were in our new home. The solicitors we used were excellent and there was no chain. Biggest problem we had was opening bank accounts/ insurance etc, as we had no credit record in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Ventnor beach the other night.

Beautiful. My son is just across the water from you at the Uni of Portsmouth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.