Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back home... what's not to like?

Back home... what's not to like?

Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:25 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home... what's not to like?

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Yes, it's fantastic there, we all love it,
I wish I had the same enthusiasm for the UK as you!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I wish I had the same enthusiasm for the UK as you!
I think his comment was about Australia, not the UK as he had been asked if he loved the UK so much, why was he leaving..
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:10 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I think his comment was about Australia, not the UK as he had been asked if he loved the UK so much, why was he leaving..

Just because people come and go and maybe come back again, either to the UK, or Australia, doesn't mean they have to hate one country or the other, does it? I love the UK, it's a fantastic country and I have been lucky enough to taste what Australia has to offer and I love it there also, we are talking about two first world really modern countries after all.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Former Laowai is on a distinguished road

Having spent the last 10 years in China, dairy products, decent bacon and sausages and all things made of pastry became a distant memory.

Now that I'm back I find I cannot walk past a bakery without buying a sausage roll or a nice pasty. Fresh milk is heavenly and don't get me started on the fresh bread and cheese. I've honestly put on 30 pounds in 7 months!

England is absolutely stunning and I never truly appreciated that in my previous life here. It's not just the food, but the countryside and sky is breathtaking and I'm about to begin work in Cornwall which is without doubt one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Only complaint is the tea... it's like dishwater!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 3:29 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Former Laowai
Having spent the last 10 years in China, dairy products, decent bacon and sausages and all things made of pastry became a distant memory.

Now that I'm back I find I cannot walk past a bakery without buying a sausage roll or a nice pasty. Fresh milk is heavenly and don't get me started on the fresh bread and cheese. I've honestly put on 30 pounds in 7 months!

England is absolutely stunning and I never truly appreciated that in my previous life here. It's not just the food, but the countryside and sky is breathtaking and I'm about to begin work in Cornwall which is without doubt one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Asda sells extra strong tea bags, fill yer boots.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 4:05 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have encountered the same problem with the food, too nice and too cheap
Old Oct 9th 2012, 8:04 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We are considering chopping down some of the apple trees in the orchard and planting loads of veggies, there are only so many apples a person can eat. I reckon a big composting bin is just what we need.
Perhaps you could donate excess apples to a community food larder. Lots of hungry people about that would enjoy some fresh fruit.

http://www.hereford.anglican.org/chu...ty_larder.aspx
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Perhaps you could donate excess apples to a community food larder. Lots of hungry people about that would enjoy some fresh fruit.

Excellent idea. I honestly didn't know there were food banks in the UK. I then googled <Uk food banks>. Quite staggered by the results.

Sign of the times.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 6:54 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Excellent idea. I honestly didn't know there were food banks in the UK. I then googled <Uk food banks>. Quite staggered by the results.

Sign of the times.
Yes unfortunately they are everywhere during these tough times, we had them near us in Brisbane as well.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 6:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Mallory

Yes I might have a look at that next year.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 8:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

Sign of the times.
One of our local charity shops has a collection point for donations to food banks, but M&S even several years ago used to donate food they would have thrown away to local charities such as Age Concern (now 'AGE UK' that provided meals for the less fortunate.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

One of our local charity shops has a collection point for donations to food banks, but M&S even several years ago used to donate food they would have thrown away to local charities such as Age Concern (now 'AGE UK' that provided meals for the less fortunate.
That's right. I used to work in a community home in the UK and we'd often make a trip to M & S to pick up food. I just didn't realise food banks were so prolifirate in the UK.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 11:07 am
Banned

As far as I know supermarkets in Australia arent allowed to donate food or at least they werent able to last I heard which is a real shame with so many families struggling. It may have changed now though.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:22 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that a matter of how much tea you use? Or are you meaning the quality of the tea. There are places that sell all kinds of tea as loose leaf. I'm sure you can find just what you want.

I'd put a mild negative to the UK as the number of people who still use instant coffee. Unless I'm sure what I'll get, I opt for tea if offered, as it's usually fairly good. Oh, and also the limited choice of coffee beans, as we like to grind our own. I was getting them on the internet from a great place, but it shut down.

When places like Costa started up I expected most British people to go for proper coffee in their homes, but doesn't seem to have happened, which I find odd. Perhaps the taste of instant is comforting in some way? Or is it cost? I can't think it makes that much difference for a couple of cups a day.

Bev
Old Oct 10th 2012, 1:13 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

TBH, I never bother with real coffee but I stopped it even when I was in America. For me coffee is something I have once a day and it's just a big faff to make it from scratch - especially when I'm only half awake at that time! Tea is my drink of choice but I'm always conscious when people come round that I don't have 'real' coffee to offer them. Thankfully most people here don't seem to care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.