Back Home 2.5 weeks

Old Dec 21st 2013, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back Home 2.5 weeks

Hello Everyone

I've just returned 2.5 weeks ago to the UK after 2.5 years in the US. So far its going fantastic. I was very lucky to return to my house that had been rented out. My two kids have returned to their old schools, with friends they have know since birth. My husband is still in the US, but is home for Xmas for a week and will be returning for good to the UK early next year. More important the dog made it home fine all the way from Vegas.

We are very lucky in the fact that my husband is being returned by the company he works for so don't have to worry about a job and we already had a house.

The good things so far - food, long time friends, family, real fresh air (l lived in Vegas), NHS (had docs appointment already, dentist me and the kids and their NHS orthodontic appointments have come through for January), oh my gosh Christmas in the UK, cheap second hand car, some quality TV, the kids schools fantastic. Being able to walk everywhere and do the shopping in local shops.

The bad things so far - yes there is more dog poo here than where I lived in Vegas. My shed roof and fence blew off/away the day my furniture was delivered. It gets dark a little to early at 4pm here. The cost of fuel, the size of my house (very small). Parking is too small, some too Americanized TV and the general lack of space in town.

I do realize my experience is a little different to a lot of expats as my husbands job always meant we would return to our home town, with a secure job and most expenses covered. But if I can help in anyway with questions about UK, please ask away.

Also, once the kids have had a little more experience of school here (ages 10 and 12) I will do a proper update on how I have found the experience of them returning form the US. At the moment they had both just had two weeks of parties, pantos, day trips and discos That in itself is a breath of fresh air compared to them not really doing much social things at school this time of year. I know concerns about schools is a major worry for returning expats.

I don't want to rub it in, but I have to tell you what I'm doing I'm sat watching a Christmas Special quiz show, with Z list celebs on, playing 'I wish it could be Christmas Everyday'. Its dark and cold outside, we have the Christmas lights on, the fire on, the kids are under their blankets with the dog asleep on my knee. Cup of tea and mince pie in hand. I've just arranged a night out with old friends tomorrow and we are visiting my parents next week. I can't explain why these things just feel right here in the UK and never did in the US.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas wherever they are and that this time next year, people who want to come home to the UK have the chance to do so.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (no happy holidays here sorry)
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back Home 2.5 weeks

Thanks for the update Merry Christmas
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

lola88 will become famous soon enough

I really like your line - I can't explain why these things just feel right here in the UK and never did in the US. I feel totally the same way, although I enjoyed parts of the living in the US experience, it just didn't feel right or "real" a lot of the time. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lola88
I really like your line - I can't explain why these things just feel right here in the UK and never did in the US. I feel totally the same way, although I enjoyed parts of the living in the US experience, it just didn't feel right or "real" a lot of the time. Thanks so much for sharing.
Exactly how we felt when we had an experimental 7 months living back in the town where our children were born, and we hadn't lived for 25 years. Looking forward to getting back in 2 or 3 years.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Have been in the US 13 years now and have never settled here, it's just never been a good fit for me and I'm at the stage where I loathe everything about it now. Hopefully I'll be moving back to the UK this year ..... never to return.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a grand Christmas! Hope the new year continues to bring you that feeling of being where you belong (I'm with you on the parking spaces though!)
Old Dec 26th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the great (and balanced) update. Its so great to hear how things are going.

I am very interested to hear how things go with your children's schools. Mine are elementary school age and have never lived in the UK. They are all happy in school here but they do talk about being bored and that would be my main criticism of the school, it is a very safe place (no bullying etc.) and the teachers are lovely and genuinely care about the children and they are learning BUT they have so little playtime, PE is once a week for 40 mins, no forest school etc. There are constant tests and I just think of it as being very "grey" for want of a better description. I look at UK Primary school websites and they seem much more "vibrant" with greater variety of curriculum etc. It would be so helpful to hear what your children's experience is of their UK schools once the Holidays are over and they begin the regular routine.

Congrats on being home and so glad that you are enjoying so much of it!
Old Dec 27th 2013, 9:18 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis

I don't want to rub it in, but I have to tell you what I'm doing I'm sat watching a Christmas Special quiz show, with Z list celebs on, playing 'I wish it could be Christmas Everyday'. Its dark and cold outside, we have the Christmas lights on, the fire on, the kids are under their blankets with the dog asleep on my knee. Cup of tea and mince pie in hand. I've just arranged a night out with old friends tomorrow and we are visiting my parents next week. I can't explain why these things just feel right here in the UK and never did in the US.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (no happy holidays here sorry)
You totally hit the nail on the head! Thanks for a wonderful post.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Great post . My daughter is thinking of coming back to the UK with her son . He is 10. She was worried how he would adjust. Here there aren't many youth clubs, actually none LOL. Sports are the main thing, but her son is just not into sports. He has a couple friends but of course they live about 7 miles away so we have to drive him. He cant just walk to a friends house. I read one post where a lady said she would never want to raise her kids in the UK! I am so happy you have settled back in. As you said, having the money for a decent place to live and a good job is key..
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, Homeis, I haven't posted on here for a while, but have thought of you and wondered if you're back yet.
It's just about impossible to live somewhere else and not learn to like some aspects of "there"!
I love being back, it's been 18 months and im just about reassimilated. I've found I just have to make new experiences to replace the things I (only slightly) miss.
We are about to try again to sell our house in the States so I've had to tune back in again to all that. I'm hoping for a miracle, a buyer to snap it up!
I hope your husband is back, or nearly back now, and your family settles back well.
Without going into details, some things have been hard, some things have been mind bogglingly fantastic. I don't think we've looked back!
I instantly became a pet owner on returning as when my sister died I inherited her cat, and our old one, which she'd been looking after. I love having pets!Like you I was lucky enough to move back to my old house.
I'm so glad to read your children are happy and there's lots going on for them. That's half the battle!
It's just lovely not being an "outsider" any more. That's what I appreciate!
Good luck to you, and your family and a happy 2014!
Old May 12th 2014, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Have been in the US 13 years now and have never settled here, it's just never been a good fit for me and I'm at the stage where I loathe everything about it now. Hopefully I'll be moving back to the UK this year ..... never to return.
Hi all, I am very new to this forum this is my first post. I used a similar forum when we moved to the US and although UK is home, I do need some help catching up on things. My husband (US citizen) , my two boys and I are moving back 2015. My kids have dual citizenship and left when they were babies. We all cannot wait.

I agree with you...
America never felt right not even for my husband after spending 8 years in the UK. Lately we just hate it so much we are almost recluses.