British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   Back 7 months now - the good, the bad and the honest! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/back-7-months-now-good-bad-honest-819867/)

Lottie24 Jan 26th 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Back 7 months now - the good, the bad and the honest!

Hi Miss Betty, thanks for your post. It was very helpful to me. I have lived in Alabama for two years and want to return to the UK in a few years with my husband. It would be sooner but we need to save up. My main reason for wanting to move is family. My dad's long term friend died in December from cancer and I believe it ignited the feeling in me that if I don't return home to be with family i'll regret it. My husband isn't close to his family here so he seems accepting of the move. And as it won't be for another 2-3 years it's giving him time to get used to it. I am sorry that your friend was not more understanding for you. I do not expect my friends to come running to see me if I move back to England. Thank you again for your post.

aries Jan 27th 2014 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 11074690)
Maybe you can entice people to Torquay by standing them a meal or so at The Elephant ;). Are there other attractions in Torquay - apart from you - that others are not aware of?

It seems that (any) travel has become a rather selfish pursuit, a self indulgence and if it is not indulgent - typically scores points on the social travel league discussable around the dinner table - there are few takers.

Most certainly travel is very high on everybody's priority list in the UK these days, if only to escape the humdrum of the everyday routine and maybe get some warmth into those bones.

I've just booked my first trip anticipating my return in August, flying to Glasgow from Bristol on Easyjet in October to see family. While there at the very least I will take in a show and a trade fair and use an inexpensive hotel already bought.

This attractive overall package makes me feel inclined to do something similar again and again in spite of the travel distance involved but it just took a little research. Hopefully your relatives will see this when soon planning their trip to see you in Torquay.

My relatives don't plan to visit me, it is my friend in Germany, possibly in June.

My brother and his wife have booked a holiday in Tenerife staying here soon . . . http://www.hotelbotanico.com My flat in Torquay can't compete with the lure of sunshine and 5-star accommodation, not even the promise of a meal at The Elephant near the harbour.

MissBetty Jan 30th 2014 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lottie24 (Post 11097759)
Hi Miss Betty, thanks for your post. It was very helpful to me. I have lived in Alabama for two years and want to return to the UK in a few years with my husband. It would be sooner but we need to save up. My main reason for wanting to move is family. My dad's long term friend died in December from cancer and I believe it ignited the feeling in me that if I don't return home to be with family i'll regret it. My husband isn't close to his family here so he seems accepting of the move. And as it won't be for another 2-3 years it's giving him time to get used to it. I am sorry that your friend was not more understanding for you. I do not expect my friends to come running to see me if I move back to England. Thank you again for your post.

Hi and you're welcome! There's nothing worse than being somewhere you don't want to be, where you feel like you just don't fit in and you miss your family so much. I'm fine with being alone but when I was in Oz I wasn't just alone I was lonely and it was miserable.

Still on a brighter note I'm nearly at the end of my first stint as a ship's medic! Finally have a regular contract and will get my first pay packet in 11 days! I'm currently curled up in my cabin reading a book and we are crew changing in Muscat in a few days time, will spend a day there so very excited!

Someone said to me today, oh you are always so happy, messing around and laughing, he said oh I'd love a job like yours and I said well thanks but trust me, a year ago I was in a very bad place. If I was to take one positive thing away from it all then it would be that I now appreciate what I actually have - my family, my friends, my cosy little flat and a job I am learning to love again. Now and again I think about the past and a feel a bit sad but then I just shake it off, as Churchill said 'If you are going through hell - keep going!'

Good luck with your move home :thumbsup:

MissBetty Jan 30th 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by brightonbelle (Post 11068850)
hunny, if I could I would move back to sussex in a heartbeat:thumbsup:

and yes, I could imagine us hooking up!! (as in mates not dates ha ha).

Its my aim to eventually get to Eastbourne (I dream high). Right now I'm stuck where I am as I work in a speciality that is in demand, but in specific areas. I like my N.H.S job, which I know you can understand is getting quite rare nowadays. If I do find myself visiting Brighton I may just pre warn you so you can pencil me in your diary :D

So fate will dictate if I'm stuck here for the next 10 years....or you never know maybe good fortune will enable me to make the move around the corner sooner :fingerscrossed:

BB

Lol! You make me laugh and yes, if you are ever back down this way I think lunch at 'Browns' with a nice cold bottle of vino is definitely on the cards for us! :starsmile:

MissBetty Jan 30th 2014 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 11074686)
The thing is, had you gone out with her... as her wingwoman... she may well have ditched you anyway if a man came along.

No loss.

I'm glad to hear you are happier there. All the best. :)

Thanks mate, yeah I'm getting on ok here on the ship and making friends so things are looking up! :thumbsup:

MissBetty Jan 30th 2014 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Lorry1 (Post 11076477)
Yeah sorry I've had kids for nearly 20 years now so forget what it's like to have a proper social life :lol: but I do get out every now and again and my old friends are great when I need a night out.

You are probably better off without that friend at the moment anyway, as at our time in life going out clubbing to meet men probably isn't a great idea. They are either far too young, total mingers, gay or have 20 kids and 5 wives somewhere ;):rofl:

Ha ha seriously though it seems everything else is going pretty well so I really hope you can meet some new people and have a great life here.

I roared with laughter at that clubbing comment cos it's so true lol lol! At our age it's just a no no, I can't put myself through that in my 40's!!!!

Yes things are better now I'm back at work full time, I'm not stuck at home brooding about stuff and I'm meeting new and interesting people plus getting to travel. Looking forward to getting home next week with my first proper pay packet in months. Going up to Covent Garden for the day with my sister, lined up a couple of lunch dates with various friends and I've been invited to a wedding reception too - I'm getting there!!!!! ;)

britsinnz Feb 2nd 2014 11:09 pm

Hi Miss Betty, just to say Hi and I love reading your posts, they are so honest, and full of wonderful British humour, I so miss that.

As I was reading about your 'friend' of 30 years it struck me that you have been through 2 life changing events in the past few years, depression, I know what that's like, it's crap ain't it? and emigrating. I think both of these things change us, we kinda 'come home to ourselves' through both of these experiences because we have to dig so deeply within to get through.

A lot of people from our past lives are still living in the same place, still doing the things they've always done and just haven't had our wealth of life experience, and sometimes they just expect that we'll slot into 'their' lives but we can't, and won't, because we have changed, for the better, IMHO. You gave her the respect of honestly explaining why you didn't want to go out 'trawling', you gave her alternatives and she acted the way she did. That's just hurtful to you. There's a great Irish saying, "pog mo hon", or "pog mo thoin", same thing, for people like this 'friend'.

Love your posts, if ever you're in NZ, pop by and we'll have a bottle or 2, and laugh 'til it hurts. Fair travels Miss Betty. :):drinkingwine:

MissBetty Feb 3rd 2014 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by britsinnz (Post 11109806)
Hi Miss Betty, just to say Hi and I love reading your posts, they are so honest, and full of wonderful British humour, I so miss that.

As I was reading about your 'friend' of 30 years it struck me that you have been through 2 life changing events in the past few years, depression, I know what that's like, it's crap ain't it? and emigrating. I think both of these things change us, we kinda 'come home to ourselves' through both of these experiences because we have to dig so deeply within to get through.

A lot of people from our past lives are still living in the same place, still doing the things they've always done and just haven't had our wealth of life experience, and sometimes they just expect that we'll slot into 'their' lives but we can't, and won't, because we have changed, for the better, IMHO. You gave her the respect of honestly explaining why you didn't want to go out 'trawling', you gave her alternatives and she acted the way she did. That's just hurtful to you. There's a great Irish saying, "pog mo hon", or "pog mo thoin", same thing, for people like this 'friend'.

Love your posts, if ever you're in NZ, pop by and we'll have a bottle or 2, and laugh 'til it hurts. Fair travels Miss Betty. :):drinkingwine:

Hello and thank you, I do try to be honest about life back home as I know I read a lot of other people's posts before making the big decision!

It was the best thing for me but I always like to state both the good and the bad stuff as I realise everyone feels differently. I don't have kids and I had a house to come back to so that made things easier for me as I didn't have to think about anyone else.

I love that saying, my Dad is Irish so I know exactly what it means lol lol! :rofl:

Yes depression is an awful thing, I thought by being honest she would have been more understanding, especially as she went through a really bad patch a few years ago (close friend died) and I was there for her.. She has just become so blinkered with this 'finding a man' business it's like she just can't be happy living in the present and enjoying what life has to offer. I've just booked onto a sailing holiday in the Greek Islands, I'm going alone but there will be other solo travellers so I'm just going to jump right in and hopefully make some amazing new friends - I can't keep going on holiday alone!!!!

Well if ever we dock in NZ I'll give you a shout to crack those bottles open! Cheers! :thumbsup:

Diane76 May 20th 2014 8:33 pm

I fear that too, my friends are so excited for me to go back, but I know the novelty will ware off.... ps/ did you have to wait 3mths before being allowed to apply for help from the government if you don't have a job to go straight into?