Back 3 months now!

Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:41 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 3 months now!

Originally Posted by Brigette
Congrats miss Betty! I remember you unhappy you were in Australia. Reading this thread made me smile and gave me an additional boost to keeping pushing along...I'll make it home soon...can't wait!
Yes things are much better these days, I actually enjoy my life again. I gained invaluable work experience in Australia though I will say which is really standing me in good stead for jobs I'm applying for here as I have something different to offer potential employers!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Moaning about Britain is one thing I have not encountered much of.

Sure, my favourite grumpy pub landlord moans about everything but that's his nature, we go there for the best beer and the best insults

Otherwise on the bus and in a couple groups I belong to I don't hear moans about UK in general. On the bus there are often people talking about "the war" (WWII) as if it was the last one we were engaged in. Then every other casual subject and not uncommon to hear people talking about sons and daughters that have a good life abroad. Sure, people have local troubles and there are some sad conditions as MissB explains but I hear no moans of how bad Britain is. People seem to be fairly content with their lot.
That's excellent! I won't have to throw a punch when someone says 'why would you want to come back here?'

What a relief.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:50 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Moaning about Britain is one thing I have not encountered much of.

Sure, my favourite grumpy pub landlord moans about everything but that's his nature, we go there for the best beer and the best insults

Otherwise on the bus and in a couple groups I belong to I don't hear moans about UK in general. On the bus there are often people talking about "the war" (WWII) as if it was the last one we were engaged in. Then every other casual subject and not uncommon to hear people talking about sons and daughters that have a good life abroad. Sure, people have local troubles and there are some sad conditions as MissB explains but I hear no moans of how bad Britain is. People seem to be fairly content with their lot.
Well I envy you, all I hear is about how terrible Britain is and hows its 'gone to the dogs' and 'why would you come back here' etc etc - sigh.

General moaning includes immigrants/politics/weather/management but it may be where I'm currently working. The people I am mainly in contact with are generally NHS workers and morale is very very low - long hours, bad pay, rude patients, high levels of staff sickness and lack of staff. I'm glad I decided to stick it out and go freelance, it was a bit of a gamble but I could never go back to the NHS full time (see above!)

I've just been offered an interview for some ad hoc teaching work with a really great company, its mainly military work but they also run courses overseas and do first aid courses for ship crews so fingers crossed that comes off

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 4th 2013 at 9:55 am.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:27 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
People whinging. So. Over. It. If I have to hear one more person whining on about how crap the UK is and how they want to move to Australia I think I will spontaneously combust! I'm sick of hearing it, truly I am. When people ask me now what its like to work in Oz my stock reply is "Same s***, shinier bucket!" I know that some people love Australia and thats just great for them, I'm not an Oz basher (just because it didn't work out for me) but I don't like listen to people keep banging on and on about how the UK is this, that and the other and all negative. I love my country, I'm not afraid to say it and, trust me, I see the best and worst of it
Great update!

One thing I really enjoy is when people say 'why on earth would you leave New York to come back here?' and I reply 'because I love it here. It's brilliant.'

There's a slight pause and then usually the person will let a little smile break out and say 'really?' and before too much longer they're telling you something that they really like about Britain and feeling quite good about themselves and the country.

I just think often people are defensive and sure you're about to bash the country, so they get in first. When you show genuine appreciation, they often warm up.

Not always of course - if they're a Daily Fail reader, there's no hope!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Well I envy you, all I hear is about how terrible Britain is and hows its 'gone to the dogs' and 'why would you come back here' etc etc - sigh.

General moaning includes immigrants/politics/weather/management but it may be where I'm currently working. The people I am mainly in contact with are generally NHS workers and morale is very very low - long hours, bad pay, rude patients, high levels of staff sickness and lack of staff. I'm glad I decided to stick it out and go freelance, it was a bit of a gamble but I could never go back to the NHS full time (see above!)

I've just been offered an interview for some ad hoc teaching work with a really great company, its mainly military work but they also run courses overseas and do first aid courses for ship crews so fingers crossed that comes off
Yes Miss Betty, no doubt different segments of society have different opinions.
I have very limited demographics with whom I have chats. Mostly they are retired and live on the 'more desirable' side of town. Many have retired to Norfolk from less desirable /more expensive housing areas, many are from East End London (a minority of those say they hate it in Norfolk and would move back if they could afford to do so), others still in work have relocated from more crowded / frantic areas of UK.
So in a way they have found their happier place by moving within UK rather than looking abroad - unless maybe retiring was what made them happier.

Not to say I don't hear moaning but it is not about Britain and more about local and personal issues,

The people I do avoid are the 2nd homers up on the Norfolk coast and the clients of the trendy chef pub restaurants up there.They seem much more stressed out and more likely to be rude and disdainful.

Without a doubt if I was on the 'other' side of town I would find a less content crowd, I see them making online comments about local newspaper articles and knocking just about everything. And then if I was working in the NHS I would see another side again.

On my limited exposure as a client of NHS I have found everyone working there to be most pleasant.

My best wishes on finding your most desirable job.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:15 pm
Practical Paramedic

Yes Miss Betty, no doubt different segments of society have different opinions.
I have very limited demographics with whom I have chats. Mostly they are retired and live on the 'more desirable' side of town. Many have retired to Norfolk from less desirable /more expensive housing areas, many are from East End London (a minority of those say they hate it in Norfolk and would move back if they could afford to do so), others still in work have relocated from more crowded / frantic areas of UK.
So in a way they have found their happier place by moving within UK rather than looking abroad - unless maybe retiring was what made them happier.

Not to say I don't hear moaning but it is not about Britain and more about local and personal issues,

The people I do avoid are the 2nd homers up on the Norfolk coast and the clients of the trendy chef pub restaurants up there.They seem much more stressed out and more likely to be rude and disdainful.

Without a doubt if I was on the 'other' side of town I would find a less content crowd, I see them making online comments about local newspaper articles and knocking just about everything. And then if I was working in the NHS I would see another side again.

On my limited exposure as a client of NHS I have found everyone working there to be most pleasant.

My best wishes on finding your most desirable job.
Yes I think it does depend on your personal circumstances. My parents are retired, live in a lovely village and go away for fab trips in their camper van. They lived overseas for years but they love the UK, are very happy here and say they never regretted coming home.

Thanks for the kind wishes and I am glad you've had a good experience with the NHS, its nice to hear!

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 4th 2013 at 9:44 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:43 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Great update!

One thing I really enjoy is when people say 'why on earth would you leave New York to come back here?' and I reply 'because I love it here. It's brilliant.'

There's a slight pause and then usually the person will let a little smile break out and say 'really?' and before too much longer they're telling you something that they really like about Britain and feeling quite good about themselves and the country.

I just think often people are defensive and sure you're about to bash the country, so they get in first. When you show genuine appreciation, they often warm up.

Not always of course - if they're a Daily Fail reader, there's no hope!
Thanks Sally, thats really lovely to hear! As I've mentioned I'm working in a very squalid low socio-economic environment so I do tend to see and hear the worst of it all.

Even though I have a long drive home I love getting back to my happy little corner of the UK in the early hours. I like to breathe in the fresh air, walk up the fab high street to my lovely little flat and hop into my comfy bed and think "How lucky am I?!!"

I have so many nice things planned for the next few months, a few good opportunities possibly coming up and don't even get me started on how much I'm looking forward to my first family Christmas in years!!!!

My life here feels so full every day, my friends and family have been very supportive and I always seem to to be doing something fun or interesting. Its like I just woke up one day, put the past behind me and moved onto a happier life. I was so desperately unhappy for such a long time its a nice feeling, long may it continue

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 4th 2013 at 9:47 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

In complete contrast to last year Summer 2013 in much of the UK - in England in particular, not so in western Scotland - has been really lovely.

July was the warmest and sunniest for many years, and most of August has seen plenty of sunshine and little in the way of rain.

The Meteorologocal Summer has now officially ended, the warmest since 2006 but now in early September the fine weather has continued - here on the edge of the Cotswolds, in Cheltenham, the sky has been mostly clear all day, very sunny and an official temperature here of 26.7C.

Apparently there is a bumper crop of blackberries in the countryside this year, thanks to weather conditions being perfect for their development to perfection - the hedgerows of the Cotswolds are lined with bramble bushes laden down with huge ripe blackberries.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:03 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
In complete contrast to last year Summer 2013 in much of the UK - in England in particular, not so in western Scotland - has been really lovely.

July was the warmest and sunniest for many years, and most of August has seen plenty of sunshine and little in the way of rain.

The Meteorologocal Summer has now officially ended, the warmest since 2006 but now in early September the fine weather has continued - here on the edge of the Cotswolds, in Cheltenham, the sky has been mostly clear all day, very sunny and an official temperature here of 26.7C.

Apparently there is a bumper crop of blackberries in the countryside this year, thanks to weather conditions being perfect for their development to perfection - the hedgerows of the Cotswolds are lined with bramble bushes laden down with huge ripe blackberries.
Its been great hasn't it?! Was so nice to come home to let me tell you lol!

I'm not too worried about the upcoming winter but I'm putting some savings by so I can take time off over Xmas and New Year. Mainly to spend the holiday season with my family but I don't fancy trekking up to London and back when the weather is miserable - I'd rather be sitting by the fire drinking tea!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

It's been said so many times by so many on expat/return forums. You do not realise the benefits of the UK until you leave.

I knew that Shropshire was lovely, but I didn't really 'see' it or appreciate it.
Without doubt what blinded me were other more practical matters. It's entirely valid to say that those who struggle in low socio-economic areas are going to have a low opinion, regrettably not just about their area, but about their country. I can't really blame them. I find it ironic though, that those who also seek a better life-by fair means or foul-are looked on with such distaste for wanting the same thing.

I/we are in the privileged position of making a much wider comparison,-and for many of us, be able to go to 'nicer' areas. It is bound to colour our outlook.

..........there is of course the 'MissBetty Syndrome'. Working in a low s/e area, but still having a positive attitude.
I suppose that would have a lot to do with being employed!

Par for the course.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
MY OH is back on board for returning to UK
Whoo Hoo
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:39 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
It's been said so many times by so many on expat/return forums. You do not realise the benefits of the UK until you leave.

I knew that Shropshire was lovely, but I didn't really 'see' it or appreciate it.
Without doubt what blinded me were other more practical matters. It's entirely valid to say that those who struggle in low socio-economic areas are going to have a low opinion, regrettably not just about their area, but about their country. I can't really blame them. I find it ironic though, that those who also seek a better life-by fair means or foul-are looked on with such distaste for wanting the same thing.

I/we are in the privileged position of making a much wider comparison,-and for many of us, be able to go to 'nicer' areas. It is bound to colour our outlook.

..........there is of course the 'MissBetty Syndrome'. Working in a low s/e area, but still having a positive attitude.
I suppose that would have a lot to do with being employed!

Par for the course.
I must admit finally getting a job was such a relief, even though I came home with a fair bit of savings as I knew I would have to support myself and pay my mortgage/council tax/rates/food/petrol etc until I got a job.

I applied for jobs before I came back but, as a paramedic, you not only have to have an interview you have to sit written exams, practicals, driving test and have an occ health assessment so it was 2 and a half months before I did my first day of work.

I've just completed my first month and am looking forward to my first UK wage packet in a few weeks time. The job is fine even though the traveling sucks but I'm happy to have work. I must have sent off my CV about 15 odd times now and bits and pieces are starting to trickle through.

I drive 1 hr 40 mins to work, do a 12 hour shift with no breaks (1400-0200) where I always finish around an hour late, drive home again, get into bed at around 0500 hrs, get up at 1000 hrs, shower, eat, dress and leave at around 1200 hrs to get back in, sort out my vehicle, sign out my paramedic bag and drugs then start all over again.

Next month I'm cutting back to two shifts a week, I should have some teaching work plus film and tv work coming up soon as I'm on the books of a few agencies, I just have to be patient. Its not easy sometimes, I am quite tired a lot of the time but I am so grateful to have work and its worth it to live where I do.

Once some offshore work - eventually - comes up I'll be doing a month on/month off so I'll only do a few shifts a month to keep my skills up. It'll all work out in the end I'm sure of it, I feel very privilaged to have choices - so many people don't

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 4th 2013 at 11:46 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:45 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit finally getting a job was such a relief even though I came home with a fair bit of savings as I knew I would have to support myself and pay my mortgage/council tax/rates/food/petrol etc until I got a job.

I applied for jobs before I came back but, as a paramedic, you not only have to have an interview you have to sit written exams, practicals, driving test and have an occ health assessment so it was 2 and a half months before I did my first day of work.

I've just completed my first month and am looking forward to my first UK wage packet in a few weeks time. The job is fine even though the traveling sucks but I'm happy to have work. I must have sent off my CV about 15 odd times now and bits and pieces are starting to trickle through.

I drive 1 hr 40 mins to work, do a 12 hour shift (1400-0200) where I always finish around an hour late, drive home again, get into bed at around 0500 hrs, get up at 1000 hrs, shower, eat, dress and leave at around 1200 hrs to get back in, sort out my vehicle, sign out my paramedic bag and drugs then start all over again.

Next month I'm cutting back to two shifts a week, I should have some teaching work plus film and tv work coming up soon as I'm on the books of a few agencies, I just have to be patient. Its not easy sometimes, I am quite tired a lot of the time but I am so grateful to have work and its worth it to live where I do.

Once some offshore work - eventually - comes up I'll be doing a month on/month off so I'll only do a few shifts a month to keep my skills up. It'll all work out in the end I'm sure of it, I feel very privilaged to have choices - so many people don't
Fantastic. I've gone all James Blunt for some reason, 'I saw your face, in a crowded place, but I don't know what to do, 'cause I'll never be with you'.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:49 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Fantastic. I've gone all James Blunt for some reason, 'I saw your face, in a crowded place, but I don't know what to do, 'cause I'll never be with you'.
Ha ha ha! You rascal - I've got that damn song in my head now!!!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:57 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit finally getting a job was such a relief, even though I came home with a fair bit of savings as I knew I would have to support myself and pay my mortgage/council tax/rates/food/petrol etc until I got a job.

I drive 1 hr 40 mins to work, do a 12 hour shift with no breaks (1400-0200) where I always finish around an hour late, drive home again, get into bed at around 0500 hrs, get up at 1000 hrs, shower, eat, dress and leave at around 1200 hrs to get back in, sort out my vehicle, sign out my paramedic bag and drugs then start all over again.

You are such an inspiration!!! Good things will come to you because that is what you give to others. Karma!!

Right, enough of this soppy nonsense, when is that book coming out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.