Back 3 months now!

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:31 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 3 months now!

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Excellent Miss B. I wondered where you were and how you were getting on. Excellent update.

Glad it's going well and you're getting on with life as it stands. Despite your shock at how badly some people live. I guess if anyone is going to see it and respond appropriately, it's someone in your job.

Your remark about seeing Tower Bridge all lit up really resonated with me. I miss London. I like it, but I couldn't live there. I miss being able to visit London in less than an hour by train.

However, I jogged on the bridge over the Wanganui river earlier today. The surface of the river was like a mirror, in the distance was Mt Ruapehu, clearly visible with the snow on the slopes. It's such a clear blue sky day today. Beautiful.

Anyway, come Christmas when you're having a proper one in Winter, you can rub that in !
Thanks, nice to hear from you and v impressed re the jogging - your description there was just fantastic!

Just to let you know I'm off to London today to meet another ex Oz friend for a few glasses of vino and a nice lunch at a pub on the river! Purely research you understand as, if its any good, I shall let you know and we can go there for lunch if ever you come back
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:39 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Thanks, nice to hear from you and v impressed re the jogging - your description there was just fantastic!

Just to let you know I'm off to London today to meet another ex Oz friend for a few glasses of vino and a nice lunch at a pub on the river! Purely research you understand as, if its any good, I shall let you know and we can go there for lunch if ever you come back
Oh yeah, without doubt !
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:43 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Your first post here MB is exactly-EXACTLY what I wanted to know. The balance is crucial.

In reverse-coming to Australia, the balance is equally crucial, yet it is missing. With the advent of ever increasing marketing spin,-the 'rosy glow' crap is endemic! Aided by media regrettably on both sides of the pond.

UK/Aus; giving a negative /positive view is,...well, reality! That is why your post is such an asset of information, and why forums like BE are such a valuable resource.
If anything is over hyped,-the letdown is inevitable. On the migration issue, balance is vital.

I admit to being highly sensitive over the 'why would you want to come back here'. I will do my utmost to avoid being had up on a GBH charge, it is so unbecoming at my age!

My thanks also for your concern over those in desperate need of help. Well done!
I have to listen to people constantly going on about how they want to go to Oz and how terrible the UK is, drives me mad but I just smile and nod most days - keeps my blood pressure down!

If I was to think of an analogy its this. You watch your teenage daughter start to date a handsome but shallow boy, you are pretty sure he will break her heart but she won't listen to anything you have to say, she's far too dazzled by him. There is a chance he could make her wildly happy but you highly doubt it so you bite your lip and say nothing and, if all ends in tears, you mop up those tears, sympathise and NEVER say "I told you so!"

Glad you found my post helpful, I do my best to provide a bit of a balanced view. Its not perfect here but I don't regret leaving Oz, it was the best decision for me and I'm very happy

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 3rd 2013 at 7:14 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:45 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by vetnurse1
THIS is what I miss. Can't wait to be back, your post has made me very happy today Miss Betty, thank you for taking the time to share with us.
You're very welcome, I swear other people's updates kept me going and kept me sane when I honestly thought I was losing the plot lol!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Great update as always Miss B, glad to hear things are working out well!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:36 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great update missB. Isn't it great to feel at home again!

It is sad that many people live in such an awful state and many more of us don't realise or see it. It s fantastic what you do and I hope those people who you meet are able to receive the help they deserve.

Carry on posting
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the balanced update MB...you sound a lot happier than you were in Oz. I know what you mean about London, I spent part of August visiting my folks. I truly love London but parts of it including my parents neighborhood have become more squalid.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:37 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am so pleased that things are going well for you. The UK is very lucky to have you back and you are to be commended for being a voice for those people in need. I know you will make a difference for them because you are tenacious.

Now about the research you are doing, in a pub on the river, do you need an assistant?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Miss B, funny, but coincidentally, someone posted the "boyfriend" analogy about the United States a while ago.
We Brits do seem singularly unable to see the beauty of our own country.
It's probably the "boy next door"!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

So happy and thrilled for you that it is all falling into place! As others' have said it is balanced update. I would hate to be poor and returning to live on benefits or just the OAP. But then again it is all what some people can do! Thanks for reminding us about the M25!!! I think the biggest problem a lot of us returning from much quieter places will be the traffic. Best to be aware of that from the start. MY OH is back on board for returning to UK so now it is up to me, to find us a place where we can retire to! He says he wants quiet, no unsociable behaviour,unfriendly neighbours or be near a pub and will not move again once we have chosen our desired spot Talk about pressure! That is why I like reading ex-pat's comments on their return.
Thanks and all the best, I remember how unhappy you were this time last year! When is that book going to come out???
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:19 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by curleytops
Great update as always Miss B, glad to hear things are working out well!
Thanks very much, hope you are still enjoying up north! x

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Great update missB. Isn't it great to feel at home again!

It is sad that many people live in such an awful state and many more of us don't realise or see it. It s fantastic what you do and I hope those people who you meet are able to receive the help they deserve.

Carry on posting
Cheers mate, I'm doing my best but its exhausting I must admit, I'm cutting right back on my shifts next month and I can't wait. I really love just pottering around my little flat and popping down to Morrisons, prob sounds silly but I'm feeling very content these days just doing everyday things, cooking nice meals and going to the library

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Thanks for the balanced update MB...you sound a lot happier than you were in Oz. I know what you mean about London, I spent part of August visiting my folks. I truly love London but parts of it including my parents neighborhood have become more squalid.
I'm so much happier and I feel more relaxed. I work in a disgusting area but I spent today up at Covent Garden with my mate and it was just lovely. Wandered round the shops, had a nice pub lunch and finished off with afternoon tea at a place called 'Bills' at St Martin's Courtyard - now thats a fab part of London!

Originally Posted by lf1
I am so pleased that things are going well for you. The UK is very lucky to have you back and you are to be commended for being a voice for those people in need. I know you will make a difference for them because you are tenacious.

Now about the research you are doing, in a pub on the river, do you need an assistant?
Lol! Thanks me dear, much appreciated! I did my research and the pub was called the Founders Arms on Bankside. Fantastic food, good wines and a seat by the river looking out over St Paul's - I feel more research is needed though as I haven't tried the whole menu so please feel free to be my assistant in future lol!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:24 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by jemima55
Miss B, funny, but coincidentally, someone posted the "boyfriend" analogy about the United States a while ago.
We Brits do seem singularly unable to see the beauty of our own country.
It's probably the "boy next door"!
Really?! I've not seen that but to me its the only way I can get my head around it. I've never known a nation of people that slag off their own country so much, you'd never get an Aussie or a Kiwi doing that, I think its sad people can't see whats under their noses!

I know that everyones circumstances are different but this whole 'I'll move over seas and my life will be perfect' is just crazy!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 3rd 2013 at 10:15 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:33 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by feelbritish
So happy and thrilled for you that it is all falling into place! As others' have said it is balanced update. I would hate to be poor and returning to live on benefits or just the OAP. But then again it is all what some people can do! Thanks for reminding us about the M25!!! I think the biggest problem a lot of us returning from much quieter places will be the traffic. Best to be aware of that from the start. MY OH is back on board for returning to UK so now it is up to me, to find us a place where we can retire to! He says he wants quiet, no unsociable behaviour,unfriendly neighbours or be near a pub and will not move again once we have chosen our desired spot Talk about pressure! That is why I like reading ex-pat's comments on their return.
Thanks and all the best, I remember how unhappy you were this time last year! When is that book going to come out???

Oh thats great news, happy he's back on board - phew!!! There are some amazing places to live in the UK, lots of great villages and cosy corners I see on my travels so hopefully you'll strike lucky!

If I didn't have to commute I wouldn't but for me its probably going to only be for a short while until some offshore/remote stuff comes up (eventually!) so I can deal with it most days! Locally the traffic is fine where I am but I tend to walk everywhere here anyways!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Congrats miss Betty! I remember you unhappy you were in Australia. Reading this thread made me smile and gave me an additional boost to keeping pushing along...I'll make it home soon...can't wait!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Really?! I've not seen that but to me its the only way I can get my head around it. I've never known a nation of people that slag off their own country so much, you'd never get an Aussie or a Kiwi doing that, I think its sad people can't see whats under their noses!

I know that everyones circumstances are different but this whole 'I'll move over seas and my life will be perfect' is just crazy!!!
Moaning about Britain is one thing I have not encountered much of.

Sure, my favourite grumpy pub landlord moans about everything but that's his nature, we go there for the best beer and the best insults

Otherwise on the bus and in a couple groups I belong to I don't hear moans about UK in general. On the bus there are often people talking about "the war" (WWII) as if it was the last one we were engaged in. Then every other casual subject and not uncommon to hear people talking about sons and daughters that have a good life abroad. Sure, people have local troubles and there are some sad conditions as MissB explains but I hear no moans of how bad Britain is. People seem to be fairly content with their lot.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Sep 4th 2013 at 8:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.