8 months in

Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of
Default 8 months in

I thought it about time to post an update. I know I am not a frequent poster so this post may have limited value but I hope it will have some, to someone, at some point!

I've copied some of this from elsewhere on the forums because frankly I'm fundamentally lazy .

We returned to the UK in December 2012 after nearly 6 years in Australia. We had never assigned a time scale to our move to Aus, it could easily have been a year then back to the UK, it could have been forever. We have no kids and are early 30s. I think that covers the basics.

We moved to Aus for the hell of it, honestly. I've seen discussions on BE that have basically concluded that no one truly moves for the 'adventure' but really, we did. I had a passport that removed any visa issues, neither OH or I were doing anything particularly exciting work wise, and we thought it might be fun!

Melbourne was a lot of fun. It has great bars and restaurants, lots of interesting people, some beautiful surroundings and is well connected within Aus. We initially lived in the CBD, then bought a reno project and moved to the suburbs. We started making noises about moving back to the UK (or on to somewhere else) after about 3 years in the house and sold it. Our last year was in a swanky (rented!) pad in West Melbourne.

We moved back for largely intangible reasons; a growing unease about being so far away from parents, heightened by some ill health in said parents; a sense of restlessness; a question over whether our personal interests would be more easily indulged in the UK.

There were many things we loved about Aus, we had a great life there. For those who are interested though, we were uncomfortable with some of the attitudes we encountered towards certain races and I did experience a certain amount of sexism too. It was more difficult than in the UK for OH to indulge some of his hobbies (admittedly enhanced by some laziness on his part), mine too, come to that, and we started to find ourselves bored by our weekends. All that said, there was no real 'push' from Aus, more a 'pull' to the UK.

We had lots of friends but many were expats (although not many were British expats!) or Aussies who had travelled widely. This was in no way deliberate; I worked for the first ~4 years in a very international industry and as it was also a very sociable industry, those people formed our first real friends in Aus.

The mechanics of returning were easy for us, with no kids to think of etc. We have two naughty cats who cost a small fortune to ship but that all went relatively smoothly. We booked a month in a holiday cottage around Hebden Bridge, expecting to ultimately settle either in Leeds or Manchester. In the period between booking the holiday cottage and actually returning, OH was in contact with a company based further west who ultimately ended up offering him a job.

Since we returned: well, it's been mixed. I found it much harder to find a job than I had anticipated although admittedly I was fussy, at first at least. OH on the other hand walked into the job that was largely in the bag before we left Aus. His career has doubtless benefited from moving back to the UK while mine has certainly not. However, OH would categorically not have landed this job without the move to Aus.

It has been lovely to be so much closer to family although I haven't seen a huge amount of mine. It has been nice to see old friends but many have understandably moved one, emotionally and geographically (although we moved somewhere new anyway). None of those old friends live close by so we are starting again socially. Our interests are definitely better suited to living in the UK, that is a certainty.

Lots of people think we were mad for leaving Aus and it has taken me a long time to understand that for many people their reactions are coloured by the fact that they don't have the choice. That probably sounds utterly ridiculous to many of you, surely it should be blindingly obvious? But I have had multiple passports since birth so have always known that I could live freely in a number of countries. I had never really thought about what it would be like to be 'stuck' in one country, regardless of which country that might be.

The recession is both more and less visible than we had anticipated. Issues of immigration and racism are insignificant where we live, in a small city in the North West where the population is white to a huge degree. The demographics here are one of the things I'd change; I'd prefer more different ethnicities.

Overall we feel we made the right decision, on balance, for now. Sometimes I miss Melbourne so much it's like grief but those feelings are lessening now I have a job. I had some dark days at the beginning of the year when I was unemployed and knew no one here. I miss my friends from Aus more than I thought; that sounds horrible I know but I had expected to be more involved with old friends' lives.

Whilst we are happy here for the foreseeable, and are buying a house, I strongly suspect we will not live continuously in the UK until we die. I think at least one more overseas stint is in the offing, at some point. This is nothing to do with the UK, Australia or any other country and more to do with having itchy feet!

Actually, itchy feet has been one of the overwhelming successes of moving back! There are so many places in easy reach to go exploring, and we have taken full advantage of that (within the UK so far, but soon to include Europe).

I didn't expect to miss much about Australia at all but there are a couple of things I definitely do miss: the food culture and (wait for it) food shopping. I suppose the two go hand in hand. I was really looking forward to UK pubs and we have been to some lovely ones, but I really miss going out for breakfast! There are some great places to go for brekkie in London, but not so much where we live. I also miss the Melbourne restaurant culture, which seemed much more about independent restaurants than we've experienced here (certainly at our price point).

I had expected to be ecstatic at having UK supermarkets on hand again but I was utterly underwhelmed. We lived near an amazing market in Melbourne where we did most of our shopping but I actually came to find Aussie supermarkets completely adequate. I find places like Tesco Extra overwhelmingly full of vile processed food. That said, I love Waitrose!

Financially it is a little difficult to say. I am on a training wage at the moment but this will increase dramatically once training is complete. I expect things to be about the same financially, long term.

That was a rambling mess of an update but good for me to write if only to get my own thoughts in order. Congratulations if you made it this far!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 12:37 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 months in

Really enjoyed reading you're post. I'm looking forward to returning home from NZ next year. Your post has made me more excited. Xx
Old Aug 5th 2013, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Love your post...thanks for the update...very interesting reading...
Old Aug 5th 2013, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Not a rambling post at all! It is informative and balanced.

I am partic interested in the comment about processed food, I hope there is a Waitrose where I'm going!

The anxiety increases as the departure date looms. The decision to leave Australia was easy, it was something I knew years ago; but I have no illusions about problems I will face; not just systematic,...but societal-you've touched on that.

As long as one is not blinded against realities, I reckon most things can be surmounted. I hope so anyway!

Edit: And good luck Pippa and Pixie!

Last edited by TheEmperorIsNaked; Aug 5th 2013 at 2:21 am. Reason: Adding.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed reading your post. I love hearing all the updates from people who move back to the UK. Thanks for sharing
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, what a great update, it was so helpful that you touched on so many different aspects.

Good luck in your new job, hope it goes really well!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent update! I agree - what is it with breakfasts here in UK? We have the itchy feet exploration habit and when we are away, so often have we thought we'd grab breakfast on our way, only to find that there is nowhere to grab brekkie until at least after 10 (unless you risk it with the Little Chef!). However, we've managed some grand pub lunches and dinners are never a problem! I agree about Waitrose as well - our supermarket of choice too but we also use the village butcher which is outstanding and the local farm shop and the market. You've got some good farm shops up there in the North West!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic update - thank you.

All the best for the future.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 7:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: 8 months in

Originally Posted by Almo

Our interests are definitely better suited to living in the UK, that is a certainty.

I didn't expect to miss much about Australia at all but there are a couple of things I definitely do miss: the food culture and (wait for it) food shopping.

I had expected to be ecstatic at having UK supermarkets on hand again but I was utterly underwhelmed. We lived near an amazing market in Melbourne where we did most of our shopping but I actually came to find Aussie supermarkets completely adequate. I find places like Tesco Extra overwhelmingly full of vile processed food. That said, I love Waitrose!
Oooh, I'm intrigued as to what your interests are which "are definitely better suited to living in the UK"?

I think that your comment about living in an area of the UK with few ethnic minorities is reflected in your dismay about the varieties of food (produce and restaurants) available locally. Melbourne is a bit of a 'melting pot' with immigrants from Asia, Africa and Europe - especially the Greek community and they bring their cuisine with them.

I used to love the hustle and bustle of the colourful local 'wet markets' when I lived in Singapore, with fresh produce which I'd never seen in the UK, whereas the supermarkets there are pretty dismal. It's a real foodie haven, you can have a fabulous meal at a humble hawker stall for just a few dollars or dine like a king at an upscale restaurant with a celebrity chef and pay handsomely for it. I loved the recipes which the Malays, the Chinese, the Indians, Arabs and the Nonyas & Babas (Peranakan Straits Malay/Chinese) fusion dishes. Mmmmm I don't think that anything similar to the wonderful variety of Singaporean cuisine can be found anywhere else on this planet

However, when we moved to New Jersey there aren't any proper markets.....just a 'farmer's market' one afternoon a week in our town where there were only about 10 stalls; the food is very expensive indeed, no bargains to be found at all. I very much disliked the preservatives in most food items (bread being 'fresh' for 10 days and
"Cool Whip" scared me) and that much of it is genetically modified yet not labelled (GMOs are still banned in Europe).

I'm now in Switzerland; there are 2 national supermarket chains, 'Migros' and the 'CoOp' (also an Aldi and Lidl). All produce is seasonal, they don't import tasteless fruit and veg. I'm very fortunate; right behind our apartment there is a farm where I go and buy my eggs and fresh unpasteurised milk from an automat.

The local area (Zug) is famous for its cherry trees, so I went along to the farm last week and bought some cherries which they were harvesting at the same time They also have an apple orchard so I'll be able to buy apples in the Autumn. At the end of our street (a cul de sac) is another farm which operates a bio (organic) cafe. They also sell produce which they grow such as blueberries, rhubarb, raspberries/blackberries, strawbs, chard, lettuce, cucumbers etc. etc.

However......the downside is that although the produce here is wonderfully fresh and doesn't travel enormous distances, the Swiss tend to have a bland diet; I'm in the German speaking part so it's a lot of 'heavy' to digest food....rosti, sausages, all kinds of meat inc. horse, raclette (melted cheese) even in the Summer It's difficult to find ingredients when I want to make an Asian dish for example and it's not always possible to improvise by using an alternative. I can imagine it's a similar scenario in a provincial town or village in the UK if there isn't a significantly sized immigrant community.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 11:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oooh, I'm intrigued as to what your interests are which "are definitely better suited to living in the UK"?

I think that your comment about living in an area of the UK with few ethnic minorities is reflected in your dismay about the varieties of food (produce and restaurants) available locally. Melbourne is a bit of a 'melting pot' with immigrants from Asia, Africa and Europe - especially the Greek community and they bring their cuisine with them.

I used to love the hustle and bustle of the colourful local 'wet markets' when I lived in Singapore, with fresh produce which I'd never seen in the UK, whereas the supermarkets there are pretty dismal. It's a real foodie haven, you can have a fabulous meal at a humble hawker stall for just a few dollars or dine like a king at an upscale restaurant with a celebrity chef and pay handsomely for it. I loved the recipes which the Malays, the Chinese, the Indians, Arabs and the Nonyas & Babas (Peranakan Straits Malay/Chinese) fusion dishes. Mmmmm I don't think that anything similar to the wonderful variety of Singaporean cuisine can be found anywhere else on this planet

However, when we moved to New Jersey there aren't any proper markets.....just a 'farmer's market' one afternoon a week in our town where there were only about 10 stalls; the food is very expensive indeed, no bargains to be found at all. I very much disliked the preservatives in most food items (bread being 'fresh' for 10 days and
"Cool Whip" scared me) and that much of it is genetically modified yet not labelled (GMOs are still banned in Europe).

I'm now in Switzerland; there are 2 national supermarket chains, 'Migros' and the 'CoOp' (also an Aldi and Lidl). All produce is seasonal, they don't import tasteless fruit and veg. I'm very fortunate; right behind our apartment there is a farm where I go and buy my eggs and fresh unpasteurised milk from an automat.

The local area (Zug) is famous for its cherry trees, so I went along to the farm last week and bought some cherries which they were harvesting at the same time They also have an apple orchard so I'll be able to buy apples in the Autumn. At the end of our street (a cul de sac) is another farm which operates a bio (organic) cafe. They also sell produce which they grow such as blueberries, rhubarb, raspberries/blackberries, strawbs, chard, lettuce, cucumbers etc. etc.

However......the downside is that although the produce here is wonderfully fresh and doesn't travel enormous distances, the Swiss tend to have a bland diet; I'm in the German speaking part so it's a lot of 'heavy' to digest food....rosti, sausages, all kinds of meat inc. horse, raclette (melted cheese) even in the Summer It's difficult to find ingredients when I want to make an Asian dish for example and it's not always possible to improvise by using an alternative. I can imagine it's a similar scenario in a provincial town or village in the UK if there isn't a significantly sized immigrant community.
That diet would suit my family well, I don't cook much different from my grandmother, seeing she and my mother did the teaching, so we are very basic eaters, food to nourish and fill anything fancy comes as a treat when we eat out.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Yes, it does sound like I might have some interesting hobbies on reflection! Nothing more exciting than mountain biking, walking, vintage/collectables, visiting/exploring different towns and cities.

The point about food and lack of ethnic minorities is so interesting, I hadn't even thought of it but it's so obvious. There are plenty of curry restaurants, which is good, I love curry! Supermarkets are limited in their variety and we don't have much in the way of ethnic food shops here. Quoll, you're quite right about farm shops but for the good of my waistline I can't spend too much time in them, one near us does AMAZING sausage and caramelised onion rolls. They are to die for. It does sell good meat and fruit and veg but I still feel something is lacking.

There is a specialist cheese shop in town and I have found a source of raw dairy, which is fantastic. I can't complain too much about the food I suppose, but I do miss Queen Vic Market.

Englishmum, I grew up in Asia and love Asian food. I'm used to being able to pick up rice sheets to make rice paper rolls etc in the supermarket so have had to adapt! No great hardship, but a change nonetheless.

Nowhere is perfect eh? We can happily occupy ourselves truffling around a car boot sale on a Sunday morning, just wish there was a good brekkie place to go to afterwards!
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
[COLOR="Blue"]
....... It's difficult to find ingredients when I want to make an Asian dish for example and it's not always possible to improvise by using an alternative. I can imagine it's a similar scenario in a provincial town or village in the UK if there isn't a significantly sized immigrant community.
For me in provincial England there was a similar adjustment period when I could no longer go to mexican / indian / oriental grocery stores that I used weekly in my ethnically diverse part of USA.
I cook most days of the week and was quite dismayed at the limited range of brown rice, dried beans and other 'from-scratch' basics in my local English supermarkets compared to the vast amounts of ready to heat / eat goods.

Eastern European foods are plentiful locally but I not yet keen to go that direction.

We do have excellent local fruit and veggies though.
For ethnic veggies and fruits one local market stall has a good selection along with the cauli's and carrots. It seems that 50% their customers are non english heritage - and I am glad for the diversity.

It took a while but we have found limited sources now and specialty stores in three 30 mile distant cities so all is not lost for my ethnic treats.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 6:08 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

We've had the opposite experience when it comes to breakfasts - we didn't go out much for breakfast in America because we don't eat meat and the options were limited. But here, most cafes - even the ones in the supermarkets - serve a full English veggie breakfast along with the usual omelettes etc.

I can think of 4 cafes in our nearest town that all serve breakfast. Perhaps it's because that town is a bit of a tourist place? (Skipton).

Great update - I keep meaning to write one now that I'm settled in but I have a hard time with balance because I'm so happy here. You gave a good perspective on the good and the bad of your move. Thanks for sharing
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Lestergirl will become famous soon enoughLestergirl will become famous soon enough

Great interesting update Almo! I live in Leicester.. plenty of shops here for ethnic food..