6 months back

Old Mar 31st 2022, 9:35 am
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 months back

It has now been 6 months since we returned to the UK from BC, Canada. It has flown by as we had so much to do but we are now into our new home and feel we can finally put roots down. We never felt we could say that we were finally home until we moved into our own house surrounded by our own furniture.

I am sure there will be things that we miss as time goes on but so far being close to family and life long friends has outweighed any negatives. Yes, we could pick holes in some things but we didn't leave perfection either.

We settled back in an area that was home for me and to be honest the last place we were going to go. In saying that, the feeling of emptiness that I carried for years has now completely vanished.

Six months on, I can say that we like being close to family, just being able to have them around and in turn having the support system that we never had in Canada as there was just the two of us.

We are finding people are genuinely helpful, you see what you get, you may not always appreciate it but it is honest and real. A lot of our time in the Okanagan you never knew if people we genuine or had fake veneer. Thankfully we were good judges of character.

Fuel costs have gone through the roof but we have nothing to compare the change too so that is a good thing. Same with the cost of food etc. Right now, ignorance is bliss on that score.

We don't regret not coming home sooner as being retired worked well for us on both sides of the Atlantic. We were able to move and not worry too much financially and I know how fortunate we are to do that. Our pensions and RRSP are what they are and we will make it work.

Our furniture came in two shipments (not that we asked for that) and the remainder will be here next month. To be fair, the shipping company stepped up and is int he process of making sure the remaining items will be with us ASAP.

What we miss:
Weird things... Kraft salad dressings.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months back

Originally Posted by vh3
It has now been 6 months since we returned to the UK from BC, Canada. It has flown by as we had so much to do but we are now into our new home and feel we can finally put roots down. We never felt we could say that we were finally home until we moved into our own house surrounded by our own furniture.

I am sure there will be things that we miss as time goes on but so far being close to family and life long friends has outweighed any negatives. Yes, we could pick holes in some things but we didn't leave perfection either.

We settled back in an area that was home for me and to be honest the last place we were going to go. In saying that, the feeling of emptiness that I carried for years has now completely vanished.

Six months on, I can say that we like being close to family, just being able to have them around and in turn having the support system that we never had in Canada as there was just the two of us.

We are finding people are genuinely helpful, you see what you get, you may not always appreciate it but it is honest and real. A lot of our time in the Okanagan you never knew if people we genuine or had fake veneer. Thankfully we were good judges of character.

Fuel costs have gone through the roof but we have nothing to compare the change too so that is a good thing. Same with the cost of food etc. Right now, ignorance is bliss on that score.

We don't regret not coming home sooner as being retired worked well for us on both sides of the Atlantic. We were able to move and not worry too much financially and I know how fortunate we are to do that. Our pensions and RRSP are what they are and we will make it work.

Our furniture came in two shipments (not that we asked for that) and the remainder will be here next month. To be fair, the shipping company stepped up and is int he process of making sure the remaining items will be with us ASAP.

What we miss:
So glad you have settled in and really the worst time weather wise (winter)petrol prices etc at the moment are more expensive than a few months ago so hopefully things will go back to as they were and the weather will improve with springtime on its way so all will be an extra bonus for you. Have you looked online for your Kraft salad dressing? if not in time you’ll find an alternative and in the future you will have forgotten about it , well that is what happened for me. Good luck for the future x
Old Apr 26th 2022, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3

What we miss:
Pleased to know that you are already settling in, it can be difficult for many. It will be like Christmas when your second lot of furniture arrives, hopefully you have room for it all, houses in Britain are generally smaller.
Old May 9th 2022, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
We're on a very similar timeline - we arrived in the UK on 11th September 2021. After 10 years in the US, I returned home with my USC husband who is living in the UK for the first time. We've just gone through our first IRS filing as non-residents and about to start his first HMRC filing as resident.

It's certainly an interesting time to return to the UK. Covid was still very much a part of life when we returned, as was the rising cost of living, petrol/diesel and now energy. We lived for a while in my house (thank God I never sold it, living rent/mortgage free was a Godsend in that expensive setup period) before buying our first British home together. Our shipping arrived last November and had been mostly in storage. We've been in our new house just over a month and not only is it lovely to see all our stuff again but it's saving us £400 a month on storage fees! Hubby is settling in nicely, we survived the winter and looking forward to being able to travel again.
Old Nov 8th 2022, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all

Your sentence about “ that feeling of emptiness I’ve carried for years is now completely vanished” gave me chills! I know some people don’t feel that, but I do for sure, it’s always there. And it’s something I’ve always wondered about - whether that will be gone when I go back. Good luck, I’m excited for you.
Old Dec 5th 2022, 10:45 am
vh3
Forum Regular

Thank you and I can say that feeling is still with me. I know I have came home and we have no regrets either with our time in Canada or our move back to the UK.
Old Dec 5th 2022, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Kraft salad dressing - available on Amazon.

Glad you've settled back in so well.
Old Dec 5th 2022, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bethel
“that feeling of emptiness I’ve carried for years is now completely vanished” gave me chills! I know some people don’t feel that, but I do for sure, it’s always there. And it’s something I’ve always wondered about - whether that will be gone when I go back.
From reading other replies and personal experience, for some people returning home feels like .... well home. And for others, the place, the people, yourself have changed / moved on and it's not the same, no longer home. It can be that nowhere is really home, and some people ping pong back and forth with no location feeling quite right. I don't think you can truly know how you will feel until you make the move.
Old Dec 6th 2022, 9:08 am
vh3
Forum Regular

I agree but from my own personal experience we feel at home in the UK. We did however settle in a place that is far too quiet for us and yes that is because we have changed and moved on. We now know where the right place is for us and will make that move next year. If however, we had gone with gut feel we would have settled there upon returning. It is one of those things, you don't know what you don't know.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
Thank you and I can say that feeling is still with me. I know I have came home and we have no regrets either with our time in Canada or our move back to the UK.
It’s always lovely to hear people being happy and settled (no matter wherever they have moved to/from) well done and a nice story to start the new year with. All the best.
Old May 5th 2023, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Kiwineenie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bethel
Your sentence about “ that feeling of emptiness I’ve carried for years is now completely vanished” gave me chills! I know some people don’t feel that, but I do for sure, it’s always there. And it’s something I’ve always wondered about - whether that will be gone when I go back. Good luck, I’m excited for you.
Me too and I've been in NZ for 24 years. When I fly back to London I breathe a sigh of relief and think 'I"m home'!!