4 Years and Still Struggling

Old Sep 8th 2019, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 4 Years and Still Struggling

What a wonderfull heart felt post 😊
Old Oct 21st 2019, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Dianepatricia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elonii View Post
We've been back in Scotland just over 4 years, and I am still really struggling to settle in. We've bought a dream house where you can scare deer out in the field just by going into the kitchen to put the kettle on, it's cheap to run, the kids are at a great school, the husband is involved in an amazing dive club and goes wreck diving all the time (yes in Scotland!!). He also brings home hand picked scallops and other treasures in his dive bag. Hubster is now just 1 year from starting his citizenship process.

And yet... I still feel unhappy every single day that I wake up here. My mental health is trashed, I've made no friends and don't know what to try to do to meet people any more. I am still trying and looking for ideas though. There's not much on around here that I could go join in with unfortunately. However, I joined the PTA at the back end of last year to see if that at least helps with social contact. I've also started volunteering at a village charity shop, it's open irregularly so this suits me with my young kids as the shifts are always "who can do a week on Saturday then???" type thing. I enjoy a good charity shop! The other thing I'm doing this year to try and help is to book us a cracking 3.5 week break in Spain in the school holidays to get the benefit of our proximity to Europe. We'll also be trying to see more of the UK. Saving for the house previously has been a bit of a dampener on such activites. Oh, and I've booked a mini break to Rotterdam with a dutch friend I met backpacking 15 years ago.

In spite of feeling fine about being here, my husband (who is a Kiwi) can see that I'm not really the person I was in Australia. We are therefore still keeping an open mind, but the aim for us in 2019 is to be ready in terms of finances and business skills to make a move to NZ. In 2020 we plan to take the kids to the motherland to meet their family over there. Whilst there we'll look and see if we feel NZ has more to offer us as a family. Hubster is happier here than me, but there's some things not sitting well with him to do with lifestyle and sporting opportunities. He has issues with the winter weather too as you can imagine.

Positives though: Schooling (totally free - no stationary bills or "voluntary" contributions), god bless the NHS, love the food prices, decent quality house obtained with views to die for, good tax rates for business, HOLIDAY-TASTIC. The UK has so much in it's favour.

I truly wish I loved it. I am still going to keep trying though. Maybe I just need some friends.
Where are you living in Sctland
Old Oct 21st 2019, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

elonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dianepatricia View Post
Where are you living in Sctland
I'm in SW Scotland. Dumfries and Galloway.