Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

3 weeks back - Initial Observations / story

3 weeks back - Initial Observations / story

Old Jan 11th 2019, 12:13 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default Re: 3 weeks back - Initial Observations / story

Hi BiP she had the NI number interview today went fine . Different subject - we have our 3 year old in nursery getting 15 hours of government funded childcare I just came out in a cold sweat thinking that this is a public fund which my wife is not allowed to claim but I do believe government funded childcare is not a public fund do you know? I know child benefit is but I understand childcare is not do you know?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No worries. As well as giving her the franchise in these turbulent times it’ll also help to build up a credit history in the UK.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 12:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
Hi BiP she had the NI number interview today went fine . Different subject - we have our 3 year old in nursery getting 15 hours of government funded childcare I just came out in a cold sweat thinking that this is a public fund which my wife is not allowed to claim but I do believe government funded childcare is not a public fund do you know? I know child benefit is but I understand childcare is not do you know?

While you're waiting for BiP, this may be of interest as it states that some 'public funds' such as child and working tax credits can be claimed if only one member of a couple is subject to immigration control. So if you're a Brit, you can claim these credits.
This page tells you about exceptions to claiming public funds that may apply because of the nationality of a person’s family member. A person subject to immigration control is not considered as accessing public funds if it is their partner who is receiving the funds they are entitled to. Child and working tax credits are claimed jointly by couples. If only one member of a couple is subject to immigration control, then for most tax credits purposes, neither are treated as being subject to immigration control
https://assets.publishing.service.go...unds_v13.0.pdf

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 11th 2019 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:09 am
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Cheers - i'm a paranoid personality so although i'm sure i could claim those benefits i couldn't sleep at night with worry! Oh yes a quick update on the childcare funding - i got all the forms through from the county council and i just put my name on them as a safety although it's only the 30+ hours of childcare that they want all your details for, i think even that is allowed for NRPF people anyway, panic over for now until the next one on our path to FLR!

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
While you're waiting for BiP, this may be of interest as it states that some 'public funds' such as child and working tax credits can be claimed if only one member of a couple is subject to immigration control. So if you're a Brit, you can claim these credits.
This page tells you about exceptions to claiming public funds that may apply because of the nationality of a person’s family member. A person subject to immigration control is not considered as accessing public funds if it is their partner who is receiving the funds they are entitled to. Child and working tax credits are claimed jointly by couples. If only one member of a couple is subject to immigration control, then for most tax credits purposes, neither are treated as being subject to immigration control
https://assets.publishing.service.go...unds_v13.0.pdf
Old Mar 1st 2019, 9:50 am
UK spouse visa

Quick update:

NI Number was denied after my wife had the interview she received the letter saying basically she doesn't need it at the moment because she doesn't plan on working. So much for thinking ahead and trying to get one in advance so she would be ready to work at some point! I called the helpline and they said it happens all the time ah well, will reapply at a later date.

Got my imported car registered and on the road, if anyone needs help with that process let me know. Other than that all is good! My wife managed to get registered to vote too. I feel like she has not experienced a true British winter yet but she is very happy, happy wife happy life!

Looking ahead - next for us will be getting our first child in a school for 2020 - time seems to be flying by the FLR doesn't seem to far away now

Cheers
Old Aug 7th 2019, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lakes,

So now it is almost a year that you are back in the UK. It has been good to read your successful experience, thanks so much. You give me a better idea of what we will face if the Brexit gives us reasons to do something similar. It sounds from you that things have gone smoothly regarding settling and paper work. Happy to hear its been the right decision for you and your family.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 1:09 pm
UK spouse visa

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
Hi Lakes,

So now it is almost a year that you are back in the UK. It has been good to read your successful experience, thanks so much. You give me a better idea of what we will face if the Brexit gives us reasons to do something similar. It sounds from you that things have gone smoothly regarding settling and paper work. Happy to hear its been the right decision for you and your family.
No problem - i try to give back to this community as i received so much help in the run-up to my move. You are right i hadn't realised it has been almost a year now, we are in the process of moving home again and i'm going through trying to make sure i get paper bills with both our names on for the FLR coming up in 18 months, this to me seems to be getting harder over time, most companies want you paperless so you end up paying more to get a statement - surely the government has to wake up and know that for Visa applications, paper documents are not as easy to get - they need to start simplifying the process and accept digital documents???

Aside from that all is good - our son starting new school in September, the summer has been nice and hot for my wife (from the Caribbean) - not so much for me i prefer the cold! We are trying to buy a house in the lake district but as you mention about Brexit - i believe that is why the housing market is so slow, we can't find anything suitable!

FLR is the next big thing for me but i have prepared well so far and have priceless paper bills from council tax, energy bill all in order ready to go

Cheers - RB
Old Aug 8th 2019, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Good reminder about the paperdocuments. I think we are all digital except our rent contracts in fact.
Yikes!

Good to hear all is well for you and your family and that someone still appreciates warm weather. After all we seem have been getting a fair share of it in europe this summer.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

NI Numbers are subject to increased security. They are a commodity that can be sold on the black market.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 1:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scot47
NI Numbers are subject to increased security. They are a commodity that can be sold on the black market.
Stobbit MrScot47.

Old Oct 18th 2019, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

freerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond reputefreerskier has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your valuable experience that you’ve shared. I hope after a year that you feel truly at home.
Me (Brit LPR) and my partner (USA citizen) and hope to go to the Uk in a couple of years so if I may pose a couple of questions :
1) did you use an immigration lawyer/ to help at all
2) you mentioned that it was a nightmare getting your wife’s BRP. If it’s not too personal a question, are you able to say what the problems were and how you surmounted them
3) all the applications are done online via a sequence of forms. Is there a downloaded set of these anywhere as it’s difficult to see what they are going to ask overall. In other words, to see the big picture of the application rather than just a sequence of screens. Or is there a guide somewhere cellaring all the application questions etc. Apologies - Admittedly a bit of an ask - I may just put this last one in a separate forum question.

Once again. Thanks for all your help, your story is inspiring.
Old Sep 7th 2020, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute

I was away 9 years in Texas, been back in UK 3 weeks now and would like to share my observations / story.

Main observations.... nobody eats out! Texas it was every lunch very cheap so now i'm back on sandwiches for lunch. The culture - this is what i missed, joined the national trust and now spending weekends walking around stately homes etc, i didn't ever do this when i left as a 28 year old.
I was in the USA for 23 years before I came back. I have to agree that eating out in UK is very expensive compared to USA. Miss being able to pop out to Applebe's or chili's or Olive Garden or Longhorns Steakhouse or Cracker Barrel or P.F. Changs without a second thought.
Old Sep 7th 2020, 11:42 am
UK spouse visa

Hi

Thought i'd update - it's been a while and with FLR coming up I've started prepping for that so will share
  • We last week put an offer in on a house in the Lake District which was accepted so now i'm going through all that paperwork (making sure my wife is listed on any deeds for the looming FLR next year)
  • Regarding FLR i think i need to apply in April / May time next year, i'm fairly happy with the array of documents I've been compiling to show we have continued to live together, and i can see how important it was back when i moved to go through the pains of getting us both listed on all our bills etc
  • I invested in a fireproof safe, in 2020 i still can't believe that our government requires us to have original paper documents, non the less they are very valuable for the FLR so there you go. The number of times i get emails about how i need to go paperless, i would love to go paperless believe me but just need a few more years of paper statements!
  • I have contacted the same Lawyer that did our initial application and she did not reply as yet, so i'm leaning to doing the FLR process myself this time to save the money
  • I've managed to keep the savings account at the required level which is hard as i am partial furlough
  • what's next on our journey
    • FLR prep using this forum as my guide
    • Try to stay afloat and preserve the savings balance!
  • As far as life in the UK goes, i have never had a single regret about making the big move, in fact things look pretty bad in the USA from where i am looking and i'm just so grateful to be in my home country with my family as we get through this pandemic.
Bye for now
R
Old Sep 7th 2020, 11:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thought i'd update - it's been a while and with FLR coming up I've started prepping for that so will share
  • We last week put an offer in on a house in the Lake District which was accepted so now i'm going through all that paperwork (making sure my wife is listed on any deeds for the looming FLR next year)
  • Regarding FLR i think i need to apply in April / May time next year, i'm fairly happy with the array of documents I've been compiling to show we have continued to live together, and i can see how important it was back when i moved to go through the pains of getting us both listed on all our bills etc
  • I invested in a fireproof safe, in 2020 i still can't believe that our government requires us to have original paper documents, non the less they are very valuable for the FLR so there you go. The number of times i get emails about how i need to go paperless, i would love to go paperless believe me but just need a few more years of paper statements!
  • I have contacted the same Lawyer that did our initial application and she did not reply as yet, so i'm leaning to doing the FLR process myself this time to save the money
  • I've managed to keep the savings account at the required level which is hard as i am partial furlough
  • what's next on our journey
    • FLR prep using this forum as my guide
    • Try to stay afloat and preserve the savings balance!
  • As far as life in the UK goes, i have never had a single regret about making the big move, in fact things look pretty bad in the USA from where i am looking and i'm just so grateful to be in my home country with my family as we get through this pandemic.
Bye for now
R
Thanks for a great post, I'm sure it will be very useful for others Good luck on the job front.
Old Mar 28th 2021, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Yanks I knew in The Middle East were always complaining about the cost of eating out in Saudi. We thought the prices there were very low, but then we were comparing to prices for eating out in Uk, which is ofetn a rip-off
Old May 14th 2021, 4:16 am
UK spouse visa

Hi Everyone,

My last post was September gosh that’s gone quickly it’s now May! Just wanted to update the thread as lots of new updates!

- yesterday we had my wife’s FLR biometrics in Newcastle, we’ve both been incredibly stressed about it so I caved and payed a lawyer to do the application. The appointment was at 10am and I am not kidding we had the approval email come through within the hour after the biometrics, I was amazed! ( payed for super priority processing )

- the house I mentioned in the last post went through and we moved in there in January - I did get my wife's name on all deeds etc, getting the official copy of the title register which we needed for the FLR application was not easy. The land registry are insanely busy after the stamp duty holiday in place so I ended up escalating the request based off my wife’s expiry date on her BRP coming up quickly. If anyone else is in the same situation I just sent a Facebook message to the land registry and they gave me the link to escalate after i explained the urgency.

- that’s all great but also yesterday my mum fell off her bike and broke both wrists she’s in hospital now, amazing the ups and downs and how quickly they come and go. She’ll be ok but thank god I am here to help

-so overall the Stress of the FLR has been really awful to be honest mixed in with this pandemic , but it’s done and I can relax a bit until ILR in 2 years

- enjoying the new house so will concentrate on that now and hope this pandemic goes away before ILR comes around

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.