Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Faro Airport Car Tax

Faro Airport Car Tax

Old Mar 13th 2015, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Faro Airport Car Tax

Just returned from faro. Had a very good deal with Luzcar / ris. They were very apologetic when collecting the car and asking for the 15 e. 7 cars in CP4 on arrival - all awaiting collection circa 4.00 pm early last week. ONE other car at drop off last evening.

Luzcar depot is less than 100 mtrs outside the airport. The guy said to email them after bkg with ECH in future and collect there. We travel VERY light hence no problemo and the airport don't get their money. Result achieved.

On a different note, I was randomly selected for body search at security and my minimal case emptied and x-rayed twice. Definitely nothing on me have set off the alarm. Despite being quiet, some fairly officious security for no obvious reason. Travelling through Faro does seem to be getting more tedious. This weeks portugal news has a two page spread relating to incentives being offered to airlines for new routes and business. Trouble is, for some reason the country seems to be shooting itself in the foot at present, by making other destinations like Greece for example much more appealing with less hassle. Right at this moment I don't understand where Portugals Tourism is going - other than possibly down the Pan. The people are generally lovely - its just the powers that be!!
Old Mar 13th 2015, 2:11 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The security screening is done on a perfectly random basis ( sometimes for training ) in addition to those who have forgotten to put their phones etc in the bins.
The same system operates in almost very airport I have ever used.
For the life of me I cannot see anything wrong with it.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think - over zealous - sums it up. I had nothing metallic on me and nothing illegal, but they made a big fuss in up-ending my case into a tray and running the empty case and the tray through the scanner twice. I kept calm, said almost nothing, but I felt offended. No explanation, NEVER EVER had that treatment before in any airport. I would not have thought a ordinary white male in his sixties, travelling with his wife, was the description of a typical suspect terrorist. Whatever they are ! Neither was I wearing islamic jehad clothing, or being offensive in any way. If they were trying to cheese me off, they certainly succeeded.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 3:02 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

You still do not get it, you might just have been the 67th through and the system randonmly peeps at that number in addition to those giving a valid reason.
The alert status could be high that day.
Any number of reasons.
Just get over it and accept that it is part of the 21st century travel experience.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dear EMR. You don't get it either. Some civility would have gone a long way. Whether I'm number 67 or one million, the treatment was not of an order previously experienced or indeed necessary. We will agree to differ. I will say no more.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 9:41 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
Just returned from faro. Had a very good deal with Luzcar / ris. They were very apologetic when collecting the car and asking for the 15 e. 7 cars in CP4 on arrival - all awaiting collection circa 4.00 pm early last week. ONE other car at drop off last evening.

Luzcar depot is less than 100 mtrs outside the airport. The guy said to email them after bkg with ECH in future and collect there. We travel VERY light hence no problemo and the airport don't get their money. Result achieved.

On a different note, I was randomly selected for body search at security and my minimal case emptied and x-rayed twice. Definitely nothing on me have set off the alarm. Despite being quiet, some fairly officious security for no obvious reason. Travelling through Faro does seem to be getting more tedious. This weeks portugal news has a two page spread relating to incentives being offered to airlines for new routes and business. Trouble is, for some reason the country seems to be shooting itself in the foot at present, by making other destinations like Greece for example much more appealing with less hassle. Right at this moment I don't understand where Portugals Tourism is going - other than possibly down the Pan. The people are generally lovely - its just the powers that be!!
I'd like to second Keiths experience with Luzcar/RIS (via ECH). We had the best pickup experience so far at Faro, the lady was courteous, funny and very professional too. It was a really good experience.... and we also got the best price ever for a car. So the 15Euro wasn't a problem for the total.

I will go to lengths NOT to use Interrent (via ECR) the first rental was bad... and the second was horrible... but when I was booking there was little choice at that time so I gave it a second go. If I have a choice and if RIS (or say travel rent, drive4kings etc) are even a bit more expensive, I will rather pay a bit more than use interrent.

We had our passports checked on entry, strange as we are traveling within Shengen (coming from Belgium) but the guy didn't even look at the picture page of my wife's passport! Weird.

This was only the 2nd time passports were checked after all our visits here. The last time was when Obama was in Lisbon (and what horrible security there was at the bridge then!). So I wonder what reason they are checking now ...... increased terroist threat, drugs? Don't know

Jon

PS No transponder though for the tolls so please make sure you know the rules and how to return the car without problems (seen several times on the forum). The final trip to the airport needs to be paid for if you use the m-way. And in between you need to go to a payshop/PO >2 days and <5 days after using tolls

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 15th 2015 at 9:49 am.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:02 am
Montesol, Ayamonte

maccro is an unknown quantity at this point

Faro Airport’s new Kiss & Fly drop-off system denounced as “extortion racket” | Portugal Resident

re the article on the link above:
As well as highlighting the introduction of a 10 minute drop off, it suggests that car hire companies can pay an annual 270 euro to get a licence rather than the 15 euro charge for each entry on to the airport.
Any likelihood of the 15 euro charge reducing?

Michael
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the rough

I only paid €10 tax for my car last month.
Regarding security : it's reassuring to see security doing there job. Be thankful they didn't pull out the rubber gloves and do a full body search !
Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:42 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by maccro
Faro Airport’s new Kiss & Fly drop-off system denounced as “extortion racket” | Portugal Resident

re the article on the link above:
As well as highlighting the introduction of a 10 minute drop off, it suggests that car hire companies can pay an annual 270 euro to get a licence rather than the 15 euro charge for each entry on to the airport.
Any likelihood of the 15 euro charge reducing?

Michael
I see no problem with the 10min drop off period why would anyone need anymore.
There have always been unlicensed transfer operators and this measure is aimed at discouraging and identifying them as they will be detected with their regular drops offs.
UK airports charges in their drop off zones today I paid £1 at Bristol , was charged £2 for the same period in B,ham