Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Artificial Grass

Artificial Grass

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the rough
Default Artificial Grass

Well for the new year I was hoping to be over in CE in March and inquire about possibly putting some artificial grass down on two of my tiled terraces. Has anyone done this to a CE terrace and if so could you give me some tips regarding suppliers etc.
happy new year to all.

Martin.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Artificial Grass

Originally Posted by Lloyd2012
Well for the new year I was hoping to be over in CE in March and inquire about possibly putting some artificial grass down on two of my tiled terraces. Has anyone done this to a CE terrace and if so could you give me some tips regarding suppliers etc.
happy new year to all.

Martin.
Leroy Merlin sell a variety of artificial grasses - like carpet on a roll. Many in our Manzana have laid it in the garden and some look quite realistic, although some do look very artificial. It looks like a very easy DIY job, I haven't seen it laid over tiles but I wouldn't have thought it was a problem.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

We bought 7 rolls of the stuff from Leroy Merin when they had a sale. Prices range from about €7 per square foot to about €40. Don't buy the cheap stuff as it does look artificial but there are plenty to chose from at mid range.

We put ours in the garden and you need to put anti-weed stuff down first but you shouldn't need to over tiles. It is just like laying carpet. We have used spikes to keep it from riding/blowing up which you may need to think about. We are pleased with ours and it was easy enough to do ourselves.

Kath
Old Jan 7th 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Lloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the roughLloyd2012 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info. I did get some samples posted from an Irish supplier ; they look nothing like what u expect from the online picture. I'll definitely look at the product hands on first. Leroy Merlin will definitely be my first port of call. I am hoping to use a padded underlay glued to tiled floor and then grass glued to underlay. Bit more research needed.
Regards
Martin
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

I will update this thread with info on my findings of material purchased etc when I'm over next month in CE.
Regards
Martin
Old Feb 7th 2014, 7:20 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath and Ted
We bought 7 rolls of the stuff from Leroy Merin when they had a sale. Prices range from about €7 per square foot to about €40. Don't buy the cheap stuff as it does look artificial but there are plenty to chose from at mid range.

We put ours in the garden and you need to put anti-weed stuff down first but you shouldn't need to over tiles. It is just like laying carpet. We have used spikes to keep it from riding/blowing up which you may need to think about. We are pleased with ours and it was easy enough to do ourselves.

Kath
we have been to AKI and seen the range they have there, probably the same products and price and even the high standards of BH have been met from the mid to high priced stuff. TBH it does look like the real stuff not just green pieces of plastic threaded into a plastic carpet.

perhaps Wayne Rooney should take note
Old Mar 27th 2014, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Well I went to the garden center just outside Ayamonte. They have a reasonable selection of grass types. Material For the two terraces with a 10% discount is under €500
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lloyd2012
Well I went to the garden center just outside Ayamonte. They have a reasonable selection of grass types. Material For the two terraces with a 10% discount is under €500
Hi Martin,

Glad you got sorted locally,saves all the faff driving around,plus handy if you need more stuff from them.
If laying on concrete or tiles,wouldnt put underlay down,maybe have it glued down,or pinned if you can?.

Ken
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

You need to put 'underlay' down if laying artificial grass onto the earth to stop weeds coming through but obviously won't have that problem when laying onto tiles. You can get double sided tape which may be all you need.

Kath
Old Mar 28th 2014, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

I was initially concerned about gluing to tiles but I've been told that a specific glue used has also a complementary solvent if it needs to be taken up and changed etc.
goin to have a look at some laid down locally just to get a sense of the grade/thickness I need for the area. All being well when I'm back in July I'll be having strawberries and champs on the lawned terrace !

Regards
Martin.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

We bought some of the cheaper stuff to see what it looked like as a trial last summer. It looked Ok and certainly was a lot cooler than trying to walk on the hot tiled floor. But beware of dropping food etc. on it, it is like trying to "hoover" Velcro! Also having half expected this I bought it in two pieces which I could lift up and shake to remove food/dust etc, still not an easy job. I put them over the washing line and meticulously removed all of the bits of breadcrumbs and other particles of food, with rolled up sticky tape. When I put it back down my OH walked over it wearing "fluffy" socks. It had bits of wool stuck all over it.
Pete
Old Mar 28th 2014, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the insight Pete.
I was thinking along the same lines also regards food. Luckily the two terraces are off a bedroom so food really isn't a priority !
But in all honesty I know the pit falls. Thanks again Pete.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Well Jason
I only got two terraces done which are upstairs on our duplex. Over the summer we definitely used the terraces more than before. They look cleaner and tidier than before plus easier on the bare feet in hot weather. One also can give it a quick Hoover too. We got ours glued down onto the tiled surface. If we need to change the grass there is an application to dissolve the glue used.
So far all good. We are there this xmas expect it's as good as new.
Regards
Martin.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ramon is an unknown quantity at this point

Dissapointed. Was so happy when I found this thread, looked like I would find a source for cheaper pot !
Old Nov 5th 2014, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ramon
Dissapointed. Was so happy when I found this thread, looked like I would find a source for cheaper pot !