Reload this Page >

Youth worker post

Youth worker post

Old Jun 15th 2018, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Collie11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Youth worker post

Hi all,
After returning home from my WHV to my post as a social worker in a children's home in NI in 2012, I recently stumbled across an ad for Youth Workers in Australia. I completed the interview and whilst not officially, due to experience and qualifications, I was advised that I could count on an offer. My query is around the pay, it's 55k salaried in Queensland. I'm 39 and single, would this be enough for a reasonable standard of living? I know that's subjective to everyone, but it is actually less than I earn here when you convert it. I guess I'm trying to work out if the pay is a fair reflection of the work in Australia, I don't have the luxury of a career break on this one. Thanks in advance.
Colin
Old Jun 15th 2018, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Youth worker post

No, it’s a pathetic wage. Youth Workers (and it may vary from state to state) aren’t necessarily hugely qualified and their pay reflects this. When you consider the average wage is now around $80k (think, would you be happy on less than 70% of the UK average wage (£19k give or take). Could you survive? Possibly but you wouldn’t be comfortably off - all depending on where you would be living, after the rent is paid you’d probably get used to beans on toast.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 12:41 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Colin,

Honestly, we pay our Interns just less than that and they are definitely not living large. It's about $1710 take home per fortnight which in my opinion (for what it's worth) is going to be tight on a single wage (if there were two of you it would be easier).

I am a similar age and single and have following expenses in Brisbane - it may be cheaper or more expensive if you would be living regionally;

Rent $700 per fortnight (2 bed, 2 bath) nothing flash but nice - you could get a one bed for maybe $600 per fortnight and obviously share houses are less but possibly not ideal
Fuel $75 per fortnight (1 tank in a medium car)
Utilities $80 per fortnight
Other costs (Car costs, health insurance, other costs, basic clothing, household expenses) $200
Groceries/personal care/household items $300

That's already ~$1350 and I would consider that pretty basic (no meals out, no travel etc.). You would, I imagine, want to be saving for your future (super/pension or buy a house etc.) and this might mean more of a pay-to-pay existence.

People can certainly manage on $55K but setting up a new life can be costly (car, furniture etc.) so it would be challenging initially. You'd have to be a conscious spender and stick to a budget - which is definitely a factor for some people in moving countries.

Hopefully some others will post their opinions.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Collie11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies and your honesty. You confirmed what I was thinking really. I thought the wage was pretty low, so therefore qualifications might not be high. It's a shame really as these are traumatised kids that need skilled and resilient staff to look after them, not a high turnover of inexperienced staff. However, as much as I would love to come back out and try my hand again, it would be lunacy to leave a well paid and established post here for less money before the cost of living is even factored in. I used my career break on my WHV or I'd do it for a year or two for the experience but it's my future too that I need to consider. Looks like this wasn't for me... 😕

Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.

Colin