Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your Typical Day in Oz compared to UK

Wikiposts

Your Typical Day in Oz compared to UK

Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:39 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Your Typical Day in Oz compared to UK

Originally Posted by Hutch
All these active people out every weekend in sleet and rain and sub-zero temperatures! Gosh! We used to live in the Cotswolds, the sort of area that people travelled from miles away to visit and spend days out on the National Trust land all around. I walked my dog everyday on the footpaths, on the common, through the woods and I can categorically state that if it was wet or cold you'd rarely see anyone - first glimpse of sunshine and a warm breeze though and out they'd all come from their snug little homes. Sure, those hardy folks on this thread might well have lead terribly active lives but the overwhelming majority of Brits are far happier to stay inside when it's wet and/or cold. If we didn't have a dog I very much doubt I'd have been out either.

I'm another sunshine lover - happy as hell when the sun's out and doubly so when there's a good beach nearby. We had the Cotswold Water Park down the road from us back in the UK, and whilst it's an okay place it a) costs money to get in b) is absolutely frigging packed on even the faintest of summery days and c) is ultimately just an old gravel pit filled with water and fringed by crappy fast food shacks. We used to head down to Cornwall regularly back in the UK, but it was inevitably an expensive exercise - parking spaces were as rare as hens teeth and you paid 10 quid a day for the honour. Here you can roll up to the beach, always find a space, park free of charge, enjoy beautiful clean sand, surf in lifeguard protected zones, use the toilet blocks or showers that are always close at hand.

Shallow bastard that I am, I totally lived for the UK summer - best times I can ever remember was 2003 when it was hot and warm for months. So I think it's fair to say that I'm a very happy soul here, where on this mid-winter day I've just sat outside to eat my lunch, the temperature's 21 degrees on the decking and the sky's a beautiful cobalt blue. When Josh gets back from school in a couple of hours we're off to Seven Mile beach for a walk. In about 10 days time we're due to get our shipment of stuff through and I'm looking forward to getting out on my Mountain Bike. I wouldn't say I super-active in the UK, but I already do far more here, because the weather even in mid-winter just invites it.

I loved UK summers as well - but the good weather started in April and lasted until October on and off!

I can't believe but I'm actually feeling defensive of the UK's weather. I'm almost (almost) feeling nostalgic for well padded and waterproofed children covered in mud. We have a dog and he needed walking so unless it was a day of unremitting rain, we would head out. Admittedly not for hours, but we would trudge out.

Our dog misses his wet walks!! I don't because he would turn from a cream golden retriever into a brown one, which then would gently dry and flake off as a brown powder all round the house. Now...........he gets too hot, absorbs sand and we have a sandy house instead.

You cannot compare the two climates!! You dress accordingly.

If you're an outdoor person, you're an outdoor person whereever you are in the world.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:44 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
So you stay home to avoid putting sunblock on?
No. I stay indoors to avoid getting burnt and sunstroke. On a summer's day in Australia, I am outdoors less than on a summer's day in England (discounting the days when it rained heavily of course, but there actually weren't that many days like that in Kent.)

Originally Posted by nickyc
The moisturiser I wear has an inbuilt sunblock. The only time I ever put sunblock on it I'm going to the beach or going to be out in the open sun all day. Never been burnt, ever.

And you don't really need to wear insect repellent walking around in Sydney! Sure you have it handy if you're going on a picnic or a bushwalk, but there's not a lot of flies around right now...
Lucky you. I too wear a moisturiser with an inbuilt sunblock, as does my partner, but if I'm in the sun for more than about 10 minutes, my skin will start to feel it. Myself and my partner have both got fair skin that burns easily. Our lives are dictated by finding shade. By now we should be remembering to always put it suncream on, but sometimes we're out, having breakfast with friends etc, or decide to keep walking, and forget. We are getting better...

And, sorry, but who are you to tell me that I don't need to wear insect repellent?!!! I have to wear it every evening during summer otherwise I get bitten - at home, outdoors, doesn't matter. I must have very tasty blood that attracts the mozzies - one time (while in India, admittedly) I even managed to get bitten three times on the bum when I went to the loo and revealed my bare skin to the evil critters

At the moment, during winter, insect repellent isn't an essential, no. But I didn't think this post was season specific. If we're talking just about winter, my weekends this year have been dominated by the weather, and whether it stops raining or not. Pretty much like the UK. Last weekend was fantastic because it was the first time for ages it didn't rain and we had some sunshine so I could do lots of washing. And so did my work colleagues apparently. Woo hoo.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chels

And, sorry, but who are you to tell me that I don't need to wear insect repellent?!!! I have to wear it every evening during summer otherwise I get bitten - at home, outdoors, doesn't matter. I must have very tasty blood that attracts the mozzies - one time (while in India, admittedly) I even managed to get bitten three times on the bum when I went to the loo and revealed my bare skin to the evil critters

I get bitten easily too. Have to wear it outside in the evenings, esp with all the hanging swamps nearby.
We got a Thursday plantation insect repellant which doesn't have all the vile stuff in it and that's worked well for us.
Some of them are just evil buggers and will bite whatever you're wearing. Our consumption of garlic goes up radically in the summer. It stops them.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 7:05 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I get bitten easily too. Have to wear it outside in the evenings, esp with all the hanging swamps nearby.
We got a Thursday plantation insect repellant which doesn't have all the vile stuff in it and that's worked well for us.
Some of them are just evil buggers and will bite whatever you're wearing. Our consumption of garlic goes up radically in the summer. It stops them.

Good thing I like garlic! I also take multi B vitamin supplements, meant to help, not sure if they do but I'll try anything.

I've found one insect repellent that works for me, doesn't smell bad and isn't sticky, which really helps when you have to put the stuff on before you go to bed. Can't remember the name, will post it tomorrow (if anyone is interested...)

I got stung on the ankle by a wasp once, through a pair of thick men's socks. I could be wearing a suit of armour, and something would get me
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

whoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
Ah right..Sounds fun..So what stops the "in" person from cheating also.By opening his eyes?
hehe nothing... the only way you can stop being ' in' is by cheating. The old swim under water and have a peek trick.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
How has your typical day changed or has it changed at all from what it was in the UK now that you are in Australia? It would be interesting to know how things have panned out especially once the 'HOLIDAY' feeling has passed into the 'REALITY'.

Have any of your habits changed? Do you do anything ie sports, activities etc that you never done or thought about in the UK?

What are the 'BIG' differences?

LoneRanger
hi there
me and my family are not in oz at the moment but hope to be there next september??? we are awaiting medicals. but my thought on this is that in the UK we have a good life, good job, nice home,good money, happy kids,good friends and family,and we have had some nice weather at the moment, but we are not going to australia for a better life .we are going for a change of life and to have some fun . you only live once if you can move and live in a nice place for a few years or for good. then why not do it.life is to short.and after a while if you dont like it go back home and after a week it would seem that you have never left .im a chef and that gives me a pasport to a lot of places so we are going to use that .thats my thoughts i will always be happy where ever we go . because its up to you .
see you next year
David
Old Jul 31st 2006, 9:11 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
where in Nil Zullund is your shid. Is it on a bug section?
Cambridge
half acre; we're working on acreage. Lovely garden and orchard. nice area. I'm n owhere near the coast but we load the horses up and go over there regularly.
IWe probably couldv'e got acreaage but we liked this area.
Hubby commutes to Aukland a lot though so not so good but he's working on that too.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch, 2003 was so perfect I almost wondered (for a few hours) if maybe the climate of Aussie wasn't worth it.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:55 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Hutch, 2003 was so perfect I almost wondered (for a few hours) if maybe the climate of Aussie wasn't worth it.
aaah yes, the summer of 2003. Was scratching my head, until I realised it the summer I was off on maternity leave. Yup, hellova summer. Gave birth with a great tan!