Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your Typical Day in Oz compared to UK

Wikiposts

Your Typical Day in Oz compared to UK

Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Your Typical Day in Oz compared to UK

Originally Posted by wintersgills
yea came to brisbane 3 years ago had my own company in uk thought i could work for someone had 4 jobs in 9mnths so set up a company out here work hard play hard but would never go back
Also got my own company here in the UK but resigned to the fact that I will have to work for someone in Australia and as a matter of fact quite looking forward to it, the thought that I can switch off at weekends and the end of my shift, something that never happens here!

I have been self-employed for most of my working life and might find it hard to work for someone, however, needs must and as always whoever I work for will get 100%.

I will probably set up something myself once I get there and suss out the lie of the land ie. builders merchants, local prices, accountants, tax, legal requirements, banking, market forces etc.

I have a building company and I am a Joiner / Carpenter to trade although I have developed other skills like block paving, brickwork, tiling etc to a really good standard as a result of waiting on sub-contractors and being let down by same.

I like your attitude, work hard, play hard and would never go back! Good luck to you.

LoneRanger
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
I've been here 18 months and still feel like it's a holiday

Things aren't that much different on a daily basis...go to work all day, come home, pay bills etc.

But I do spend much more of my free time outside than I used to, whether it be checking out the countryside, going to cafe's and peoplewatching, walking along beaches or just sitting in a park. Any excuse to be outside whenever I can and am willing to make the effort to do it. Something that maybe wasn't there in the UK
Thats the kind of answer / experience that I was looking to achieve with this thread, you know the free time part that we all don't seem to get back here in the UK.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteY
Ouch...

Anyway, I guess i just didnt like your generalisation about "mud in the chilterns", "grey skies" etc etc etc.
It's been so long since I lived in the UK on a regular basis (8 years) and only 2 summers, one June-Sep, 2000, and one whole one, 2003 that I honestly can't remember how bad summer really is in the UK.

2003 was a cracker.

My brother always mentioned the rain when I rang home from OS. I reckon the Uk gets a wet season in august and therefore around May is the nicest.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:07 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ouch...

Anyway, I guess i just didnt like your generalisation about "mud in the chilterns", "grey skies" etc etc etc.

Well I lived there and there's plenty of it. I don't know if you were in the UK since this Winter gone because it was the most dismal, depressing winter I've ever experienced in the UK for a long time.
The whole of Jan, Feb, March and much of April was grey, overcast and cold.
I have absolutely no compunction in saying that even in Winter here, the sun's shining more often than not.
Certainly the UK has lovely things and a few weeks of nice weather (currently I believe) but it's nothing compared to where I live now. It's about choice in the end. If you're going to swap your exact life for another copy on the other side, what's the point?
But give people credit that when they emigrate, they can, if they want, undertake a certain amount of 're-invention' that the opportunity gives them. A lot of people can see more possibilities when they do this, whether or not you believe they're just swapping one thing for another.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:25 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iPom
're-invention' that the opportunity gives them.
I do think thats a wonderful turn of phrase, one that i agree with completely.

It also ties in with what i was trying to (haphazardly) say. You do not necessarily need to emigrate to have your re-invention. I guess i just find it frustrating watching people on forums such as this, clutching at straws, hoping that a move to oz is going to suddenly change them from being a TV and chips person into a mountain biking extremist (exaggerated for emphasis ). In my opinion, it wont...
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:31 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

I guess i just find it frustrating watching people on forums such as this, clutching at straws, hoping that a move to oz is going to suddenly change them from being a TV and chips person into a mountain biking extremist (exaggerated for emphasis ). In my opinion, it wont...
worked for me, but im sure it all started when i started using tampons
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:33 am
Account Closed

I do think thats a wonderful turn of phrase, one that i agree with completely.

It also ties in with what i was trying to (haphazardly) say. You do not necessarily need to emigrate to have your re-invention.
Of course not. I have a health problem which is better with more sun so a warmer climate just helps me out full stop. We'd have gone to France if it wasn't for the fact that my OH is Australian and our kids needed a family who gives a damn.

I guess i just find it frustrating watching people on forums such as this, clutching at straws, hoping that a move to oz is going to suddenly change them from being a TV and chips person into a mountain biking extremist (exaggerated for emphasis ). In my opinion, it wont...
No, of course not. Change has to be because you want it, but sometimes doing something massive like this can help free people's minds to the possibilities. It might be an extreme form of life coaching but for some, it truly works.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by soapy
worked for me, but im sure it all started when i started using tampons

Yeah, but they're not meant to go in your ears and up your nose.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:35 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but they're not meant to go in your ears and up your nose.
eh what was that
oh right, took them out now
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:49 am
Account Closed

eh what was that
oh right, took them out now

Ewwwww, put them back in!
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:51 am
Master of verbal pish©

Ewwwww, put them back in!
the wax on them makes them more waterproof
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

while i didn't exactly LOL this has made me laugh
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:55 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by DebraH
while i didn't exactly LOL this has made me laugh
sorry
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:55 am
Account Closed

Well that's no good. Who wants them waterproof?
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

sorry
what for, i thought it was funny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.