Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your Shipping Costs

Your Shipping Costs

Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:30 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your Shipping Costs

This is the first of many of these I intend to do, and hopefully publish them on my website.

I'm interested to know the costs of everything involved in migrating to Oz as we've just applied ourselves.

First on the list is shipping costs.

If you can either reply to this thread, or PM me with the following details, then I'll collate all the results and log them all in a spreadsheet and stick them on my website.

The information I'm looking for is:

Your Forum Username:
Shipping Company:
Date of Shipment from UK:
City Sent From:
Date arrived in Oz:
City Arrived In:
Cost:
Rate the Experience (out of 10 - 10 being the best):

If this works well, then I'll go through the process with other costs and build up a useful resource that should complement this Forum.

Thanks all,

Marko
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:39 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your Shipping Costs

Originally posted by phyonics
This is the first of many of these I intend to do, and hopefully publish them on my website.

I'm interested to know the costs of everything involved in migrating to Oz as we've just applied ourselves.

First on the list is shipping costs.

If you can either reply to this thread, or PM me with the following details, then I'll collate all the results and log them all in a spreadsheet and stick them on my website.

The information I'm looking for is:

Your Forum Username:
Shipping Company:
City Sent From:
Date arrived in Oz:
Good idea mate...I will give u the info once we get there and our container does

City Arrived In:
Cost:

If this works well, then I'll go through the process with other costs and build up a useful resource that should complement this Forum.

Thanks all,

Marko
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:41 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by biggy
EEEKKKK made an arse of that lol

I ment to say Good idea mate, will give u the info once we get there and the container arrives
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:08 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

that's amazing. i was only thinking last night about starting a post doing exactly the same! there's always someone one step ahead of me.

great idea though, i'll let you know when i find out.

leigh
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:33 am

Knew I'd missed something off the list (container size) - off to a good start then

So the info I'd like is

Your Forum Username:
Shipping Company:
Container Size:
City Sent From:
Date arrived in Oz:
City Arrived In:
Cost:

Thanks for the replies/PM's so far

Marko
Old Jun 14th 2004, 7:54 pm

just bumping back up near the top....

if anyone else would like to contribute to this then please feel free to put your replies on this thread or PM me.

Thanks v much

Marko
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:30 pm

If anyone who has migrated to Oz is reading this, I'd be very grateful of you sparing the time to let me know of your shipping costs.

As I said at the top I'd like to put together a web resource to pull lots of information together that will be useful for expats.

Cheers

Mark
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:33 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by phyonics
If anyone who has migrated to Oz is reading this, I'd be very grateful of you sparing the time to let me know of your shipping costs.

As I said at the top I'd like to put together a web resource to pull lots of information together that will be useful for expats.

Cheers

Mark

Good idea - still getting quotes at the moment, but will try and let you know once I do
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:36 pm

great, thank you

and good luck

Marko
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by biggy
EEEKKKK made an arse of that lol

I ment to say Good idea mate, will give u the info once we get there and the container arrives
no change there then eh biggy
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default doing the removals yourself

One thing I've learnt over the years of livinf in Australia is that the people here like to roll up their sleeves and do a job themselves.
On shifting from Tasmania back to the mainland states, I enquired about removal costs and the cheapest to shift everything was $4,000.
A mate at work asked me why I wasn't considering doing it all myself for a fraction of the expense?
I looked into getting a shipping container for hire. You can buy them too, but the shipping company won't take dodgy containers and Australian customs and quarantine will not accept a container in poor knick.
Cost $1,600
It would have cost me just as much to ship my stuff to Shanghai, China as to Melbourne, Victoria!
A bloke from work loaded all my household gear in the container . . . beds and mattresses standing upright, etc. We got loads of cardboard boxes from the supermarket a week or so beforehand and packed everything in newspaper and labelled the box's contents on the outside. They were taped shut once packed and put to one side to be loaded on "loading day" A few gorillas in the neighbourhood helped lug the heavy stuff into the container too.
A big artic took it away.
We rang the shipping company at the other end when we were ready to unload the container. Next day a big artic dropped the container off on the front lawn and came back in 3 days to pick it up
Saving . . . . $2,400 with one glass broken (value $2)
Bob and ginnie