Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your house in the UK cost .. and your house in Oz cost ...

Your house in the UK cost .. and your house in Oz cost ...

Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:02 pm
Badge

Default Re: Your house in the UK cost .. and your house in Oz cost ...

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Crikey! :scared: Are you using up all the 670sq metres for the house or will you have any garden space? I'm nosey, aren't I?!!!
There won't be any left for a yard at that rate lol - upside - less mowing.

Badge

Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Emma manse is an unknown quantity at this point

sold in uk sept 2003 for 290K pounds and bought here for 500K dollars. Depends where you want to buy city's are more pricey and its much cheaper up here on the sunshine coast.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:06 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Badge
There won't be any left for a yard at that rate lol - upside - less mowing.

Badge
U gave the game away badge

Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:10 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
U gave the game away badge
I like mowing - excuse for exercise of a sort. That and a shed is a vital part of leisure time.

Badge

Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:12 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

I like mowing - excuse for exercise of a sort. That and a shed is a vital part of leisure time.

Badge
It's a man thing badge

Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:15 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
It's a man thing badge
Ear defenders, and/or the loud noise helps too.

Badge

Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:22 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Ear defenders, and/or the loud noise helps too.

Badge
Lol.....especially when the better half is talkin eh

Old Aug 7th 2005, 1:10 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Sorry my message was not clear, I was just a bit down when reading these, so posted in haste, after reading thes. I stay north of the border in Britain and although I have a house to sell , will no way on this earth make the kind of money that people are talking about on here, beginning to think we are too poor to go to aus, as especially perth, seems to be going to be filled with Brits with loads of dosh.
Thats Ok I didnt take offensive and figured you had just misinterperated what I said...the only reason Ive made any dosh on my house is that I bought it a good many years ago when they were cheap as chips...Now I thank my lucky stars I did..Id stil go If I were you because no matter what you will upgrade your house even by having the same kind of mortgage as you have here

best of luck with it...
Old Aug 7th 2005, 1:21 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peppi
You should get mansion in WA for that sort of money...niiiiiiice....
Hi Peppi,
That sort of money doesn't really buy what you might think especially if you want a newer house with water views (not beach front too windy!!), close proximity to schools, elevated 800m2 + block etc We will most probably build, I have found my dream home here

http://www.wbn-homes.com.au/default.asp

I found them about 5 years ago and their prices don't seem to have gone up much. I have been to their display homes and was very impressed with their work,. They always reply to my emails very quickly and were happy to send me loads of info and a glossy brochure. They have a good reputation so we should be OK with them. We just need to find the right plot for 250K or less, I have seen quite a few but whether such plots will still be around when we are ready to buy.... who knows?. The only thing putting us off at the mo are the reported time frames for building. A few people we met on our last trip to Oz suggested that some builders are less than realistic about times and that some customers have had to wait up to 18 months for work to be completed.

Best of luck
ACE

Last edited by ACE; Aug 7th 2005 at 1:47 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:12 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by ACE
Hi Peppi,
That sort of money doesn't really buy what you might think especially if you want a newer house with water views (not beach front too windy!!), close proximity to schools, elevated 800m2 + block etc We will most probably build, I have found my dream home here

http://www.wbn-homes.com.au/default.asp

I found them about 5 years ago and their prices don't seem to have gone up much. I have been to their display homes and was very impressed with their work,. They always reply to my emails very quickly and were happy to send me loads of info and a glossy brochure. They have a good reputation so we should be OK with them. We just need to find the right plot for 250K or less, I have seen quite a few but whether such plots will still be around when we are ready to buy.... who knows?. The only thing putting us off at the mo are the reported time frames for building. A few people we met on our last trip to Oz suggested that some builders are less than realistic about times and that some customers have had to wait up to 18 months for work to be completed.

Best of luck
ACE
I dont what kind of place you live in now ACE...but to me these places look like palaces..very very nice..and way outa my price range unfortunately. I will manage the amount you are spending on the plot with out having to revisit mortgage land,but that will still get me allot more than the 2 up 2 down I have now...so Im happy
Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

kaz,n,jeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ACE
Hi there,
We are interested in Baldivis. Hubby and son looked at Tranby College last year. My son liked it but hubby thought it was very hot around there, certainly hotter than Living Waters Lutheran College (Warnbro) and the areas around the schools we looked at in Mandurah. We were not sure if that was because it was just a particularly hot day or whether it was perhaps because the Freo Dr/sea breezes do not reach Baldivis?

Hope you are enjoying your life in WA.
ACE
hi, i think you must have looked on a v. hot day,(we are not acttually there yet,flying out on 11 sept) hubby and daughter found it and put deposit on,we finished transaction from here(uk) the peaple we bought it from are renting off us untill 13 sept. its a horse property, we will be doing livery,and my daughter will be doing private riding lessons.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:54 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peppi
I dont what kind of place you live in now ACE...but to me these places look like palaces..very very nice..and way outa my price range unfortunately. I will manage the amount you are spending on the plot with out having to revisit mortgage land,but that will still get me allot more than the 2 up 2 down I have now...so Im happy
Point taken You are right certainly get a lot more for your money out there. It's just that I can't help comparing what we could have got for that money a few years ago compare to what you get now-silly really because we wouldn't be selling for so much either.

We currently have more or less what I described in my previous post re- newish house, river views, elevated position but we have to travel 5 miles (through ridiculous traffic) to school and our plot is much smaller than 800m2. Like most we are keen to maintain our standard of living if not improve it with little or no mortgage, it would be really great to have no mortgage.

ACE

Last edited by ACE; Aug 7th 2005 at 5:01 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 5:20 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kaz,n,jeff
hi, i think you must have looked on a v. hot day,(we are not acttually there yet,flying out on 11 sept) hubby and daughter found it and put deposit on,we finished transaction from here(uk) the peaple we bought it from are renting off us untill 13 sept. its a horse property, we will be doing livery,and my daughter will be doing private riding lessons.
That sounds great. what a lovely lifestyle for your daughter and it has worked out really well with the previous owners renting from you. Have you looked at the local at any of the local schools for your daughter?

Good luck with you move next month.

ACE
Old Aug 7th 2005, 5:39 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Sorry my message was not clear, I was just a bit down when reading these, so posted in haste, after reading thes. I stay north of the border in Britain and although I have a house to sell , will no way on this earth make the kind of money that people are talking about on here, beginning to think we are too poor to go to aus, as especially perth, seems to be going to be filled with Brits with loads of dosh.

Hi Margaret,

Dont get down about what people are saying they are buying on here. What people sometimes forget is that Australia hasn't got 'cheaper' housing than the UK - it has houses that are bigger for the same price (more or less anyway) as the UK.

When we went to Perth we left a semi (in Nottingham) and bought a 4 x 2 in Ellenbrook (north of the river in Perth). We did have a large deposit but still needed a mortgage. Many of the expats we met either had a mortgage or were renting. There wern't many that were living mortgage free.
We met a nurse that came to Perth in 1998 with her family and just $5000, they now have a lovely home that they are buying.

Just because you can't live mortgage free dont worry, if you and your partner can manage to get good jobs then its the same as over here, you will get a mortgage.

Although a 4 x 2 sounds nice compared with a 3 bedroomed semi in the UK its swings and roundabouts - When we left Notts in 2003 we left an average 3 bedroomed semi, to live in an average 4 x 2 home in Perth (just bigger, not better or cheaper). We rented a superb house in a lovely part of Perth when we first arrived (Dianella), it belonged to Italians, was very lavish with a wonderful pool. We couldnt afford to buy in Dianella and ended up buying in Ellenbrook, my best advice would be to rent somewhere rather than buy somewhere that is second best. Good luck and dont worry about how much money people are taking...go because you feel its right and take the chance.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 5:53 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janeyray
Hi Margaret,

Dont get down about what people are saying they are buying on here. What people sometimes forget is that Australia hasn't got 'cheaper' housing than the UK - it has houses that are bigger for the same price (more or less anyway) as the UK.

When we went to Perth we left a semi (in Nottingham) and bought a 4 x 2 in Ellenbrook (north of the river in Perth). We did have a large deposit but still needed a mortgage. Many of the expats we met either had a mortgage or were renting. There wern't many that were living mortgage free.
We met a nurse that came to Perth in 1998 with her family and just $5000, they now have a lovely home that they are buying.

Just because you can't live mortgage free dont worry, if you and your partner can manage to get good jobs then its the same as over here, you will get a mortgage.

Although a 4 x 2 sounds nice compared with a 3 bedroomed semi in the UK its swings and roundabouts - When we left Notts in 2003 we left an average 3 bedroomed semi, to live in an average 4 x 2 home in Perth (just bigger, not better or cheaper). We rented a superb house in a lovely part of Perth when we first arrived (Dianella), it belonged to Italians, was very lavish with a wonderful pool. We couldnt afford to buy in Dianella and ended up buying in Ellenbrook, my best advice would be to rent somewhere rather than buy somewhere that is second best. Good luck and dont worry about how much money people are taking...go because you feel its right and take the chance.
Thanks Janeray for taking the time to reply and boost my morale again, when I do read things like this it does worry me, we have took a long time to get where we are just now, and feel like we're taking a chance selling up and leaving, but we tell ourselves these things aren't important - or are they?-
When reading things like this I do think omg - are we giving up our security, and our childrens, but I do still yearn the adventure, and although I have an ok my hubbie has a crap one, and I would be surprised if he didn't get a better one in aus, and he does have a trade. But still can't help but feel we must be the poorest on this emigration lark!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.