Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your house in the UK cost .. and your house in Oz cost ...

Your house in the UK cost .. and your house in Oz cost ...

Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:15 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your house in the UK cost .. and your house in Oz cost ...

We have a 4 bed, three storey townhouse between Arundel and Worthing in West Sussex...it's a Westbuy home on a brand new development and it is now 18 months old.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:59 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

£150k 2 bed Box for A$200- 250 3-4 bigger box with no boxes glued on the sides . And as fraser says Fuc.......................
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

jackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nice
Smile Re: Your house in the UK cost .. and your house in Oz cost ...

Hope to sell for£169,000 and buy in Bunbury/Dalyellup for $300,000.....
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

We've just sold for 325k and hope to buy for 450-550k mornington peninsula.
Irene
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:50 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parkhigh
We've just sold for 325k and hope to buy for 450-550k mornington peninsula.
Irene
We'd love to live in Mornington but it's a bit out of the way for the city, but we'll
be having a look anyway
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

I have relatives in frankston so will either live in mornington or mount eliza or south frankston. If i have to move from my lovely house here in the village then I want a better and bigger house in oz. Just the thought of being able to get to the beach will be well worth moving away. I keep promising to take the kids to the seaside but with our weather you just cant keep any of your promises!
irene
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Your house in the UK cost .. and your house in Oz cost ...

my god, we are the poor relations on this site I think- ours is up for sale for £140,000

We are going to see how jobs pay when we get there and are probably not buying for more then $300,000, thats obviously gonna be with a mortgage, we've still got 18 years to go on the mortgage here so not too bothered about having one in Oz (be nice if we didnt have one but there you go 0

Donna x
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray

We sold in Dec 2002 (UK) for 70,000 and bought in Perth July 2003 for $181,000

Mind you, house prices have gone up a lot since then, Perth and here.
I dont know about Perth, but here in Brisbane you'd be lucky to get anything for under $200K except in the absolute worst parts & even then the house wouldnt be great anyway - the sort of places you definitely wouldnt want to live :scared: . (I dread to think where teach might end up unless andrew has his way )

I think houses have gone up considerably Janey. You must have sold your house for alot more than $181K, so you would know how much they have risen!

To the OP - it doesnt matter what your house costs, as long as you are happy living there .
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Sold 2 houses for £330k & £250K looking to buy up to $1M in Perth or surrounds.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:21 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to be careful and compare like with like: quite apart from the underlying land value which *should* be lower in a big place like Oz - but often isn't - the standard of building you will get is often very much lower. I have heard that the average house built in Oz is meant to last 20 years: certainly we are looking at one built ten years ago which is basically a demolition job for a building site!

I'm sue to get flak but look behind the large plans and snooker rooms and often there's not a lot there! No double glazing, inadequate heating/cooling, cheap fittings etc. Nothing against it if you know what you're buying, but sometimes the comparisons are not apples with apples.....
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I think you have to be careful and compare like with like: quite apart from the underlying land value which *should* be lower in a big place like Oz - but often isn't - the standard of building you will get is often very much lower. I have heard that the average house built in Oz is meant to last 20 years: certainly we are looking at one built ten years ago which is basically a demolition job for a building site!

I'm sue to get flak but look behind the large plans and snooker rooms and often there's not a lot there! No double glazing, inadequate heating/cooling, cheap fittings etc. Nothing against it if you know what you're buying, but sometimes the comparisons are not apples with apples.....
That's a fair point but a lot of modern UK housing is of pretty crap build quality too. I personally would not buy a UK house built after the 1950's.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:39 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That's a fair point but a lot of modern UK housing is of pretty crap build quality too. I personally would not buy a UK house built after the 1950's.
That's also a fair point but I think the low point in the Uk was around the seventies where there was some horrendous building. The last twenty year's houses have been much better designed and constructed, IMO. Certainly much more solid than most here. Again, I'm not criticising Oz housing, just pointing out that what you gain in appearance and size you can lose in longevity. It's a trade off, like everything!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:03 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams

i have to agree we live up in cairns and many average homes older than ten years old dont have gyprocked walls. some houses we looked at in the low 3's looked like cell blocks. painted breeze/ besser block walls are not attractive internal walls. just as an idea of how much costs can vary take this example. carrington builders( large builder, qld) advertised a house in the local press for $320,000. we called up and were told that the price was for brisbane. the house was $520,000 in cairns. we were stunned. you can get a good idea off the net but in cairns you cannot get a house for under $200,000 and would need to spend atleast $300,000 for a reasonable 4 bed single storey in a nice suburb. we have actually got a bigger mortgage in oz than we had in blighty but no cars or cards to pay for so we feel we are better off.
i recently read that oz property is 20% overvalued.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:28 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Not sure yet as we are having it valued next month, but would take a guess that it will be valued at about £275K and will go for £250K cos of the tax bracket. Looking to buy around $300K max so that we don't have a mortgage.
Hi Anne...Don't be fooled that buyers are put off because of the higher stamp duty, we sold ours for 260k so it can be done, we sold to the first person within 4 days of going on the market.

Spalens wife
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:02 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

In the UK I was renting a ROOM in someones house in Guildford for 400 pounds a month. I now pay about the same in Aussie $$$ as a mortgage for my own house ($235K) Now that's a step up!!

W

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.