Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your home can be taken from you

Your home can be taken from you

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:35 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your home can be taken from you

Originally Posted by asher
signed
Me too
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Many will know that the dysfunctional NSW government is passing legislation to allow compulsory purchase of private property, not for public works (which in some cases is a necessary evil) but to hand over to developers who will profit immensely by the deal.

Whatever your feelings about the man, Barry O'Farrell - the opposition leader - has set up a protest about the iniquity of this:

http://handsoffourhomes.myelectorate...=39&Itemid=126

and asks all who are affronted by the idea to sign.
This is the kind of thing that goes on in Spain, you do not expect this is in a country where property laws are based on UK law.

Ridiculous.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Nothing wrong with being forced to move home for the greater good of the community. Not signed.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Thats it!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/proper...-1225927547240

Resumed. Such a weird term.

The house is going to be resumed.... thats alright, it hadn't stopped.

JTL
It IS such an odd word for it, isn't it. And it seems so common here. The Govt "resumed"hundreds of properties for the mess that is turning into the Airport Link and Northern Busway, and now the extension of the Busway will affect many many more. There doesn't seem to be any consultation or appeals process, and certainly with the first lot of homes most people knew nothing till they got a note through the mail telling them they had X number of months to leave - some of those people had bought their homes 50 or 60 years before.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Nothing wrong with being forced to move home for the greater good of the community. Not signed.
Really? So you'd never be a NIMBY?

When they start building all these new nuclear power plants, you'll be first in the queue to sell half your garden to them?

JTL
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Really? So you'd never be a NIMBY?

When they start building all these new nuclear power plants, you'll be first in the queue to sell half your garden to them?

JTL
I'm a NIMBY on steroids.

I want nuke power - but as far way from my house as possible!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

"Land grab" is usually what it's referred to in Spain and Italy although I don't think that is the official term!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
This isn't about the greater good of the community, it's about forcing you to sell to a property developer so they can knock your house down and subdivide it or build a block of flats, that type of thing.

It's not to make way for a railway or new road.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

One situation where I would approve of compulsory purchase orders for private purposes would be where developers are letting heritage buildings fall into disrepair intentionally so that they will fall down. Heritage buildings should be valued and developed as such, not their potential value should they be destroyed. Hoarders like the couple who own all the derelict eyesores in Pyrmont, NSW should be compulsorily relieved of their property. Of course there would be no political will to do this as, like the world over, political 'lobbying' and developers go hand in hand.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
This isn't about the greater good of the community, it's about forcing you to sell to a property developer so they can knock your house down and subdivide it or build a block of flats, that type of thing.

It's not to make way for a railway or new road.
I would still have a problem with it if it was for a new road or railway. I OWN this land, not some opinionated councillor. Its MINE. Fully paid for, freehold, I OWN it.

Imagine if a councillor turned up and said, that, in his opinion the greater good of the community would be served if they took your car? Now in the bigger scheme of things thats probably true (less pollution, one less car on the road etc..)

But I can imagine your reaction, and it probably begins with an F.

So how does that differ from councillors deciding to resume 100's of family homes, because they think they know best?

JTL
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I would still have a problem with it if it was for a new road or railway. I OWN this land, not some opinionated councillor. Its MINE. Fully paid for, freehold, I OWN it.

Imagine if a councillor turned up and said, that, in his opinion the greater good of the community would be served if they took your car? Now in the bigger scheme of things thats probably true (less pollution, one less car on the road etc..)

But I can imagine your reaction, and it probably begins with an F.

So how does that differ from councillors deciding to resume 100's of family homes, because they think they know best?

JTL
I hear what you're saying, I'd be mad as hell if someone told me to sell my house to make way for a road or something. But if it were so a property developer could build a block of flats or something like that I'd actually go on a real life killing spree.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Your home can be taken from you

Signed.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

No, its in the news because of infrastructure improvement, not because its selling out to developers.

Last edited by The Flintstones; Sep 22nd 2010 at 8:25 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
"Land grab" is usually what it's referred to in Spain and Italy although I don't think that is the official term!
Describes it prettty well though.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:02 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Look on the bright side. Sydney's better than Melbourne. Allegedly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.