Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your first week in Australia ( a checklist )

Your first week in Australia ( a checklist )

Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Your first week in Australia ( a checklist )

Can any of my learned friends perhaps be so kind to share their knowledge on what to do in their first week (in bullet points) eg medicare, n.i. number

Cheers

Steve
Old Sep 14th 2006, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your first week in Australia ( a checklist )

Good question, I would like to know this as well
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:11 pm
love the life i live

Mysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen
Can any of my learned friends perhaps be so kind to share their knowledge on what to do in their first week (in bullet points) eg medicare, n.i. number

Cheers

Steve
WE did bank and Medicare on the same day in perth city center.
You have to book an appointment with the bank, then after the bank you do Medicare where you just Que up and fill in a form
Tax can be done on line. Driving licence you have 3 months.
Relax once you are in oz, no worries
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mysterio
You have to book an appointment with the bank, then after the bank you do Medicare where you just Que up and fill in a form

Driving Licence 3months????
My friend who migrated last December just went with his UK D/L, and they changed it to OZ D/L there and then (more or less). I am only speaking from what he told me as I was asking him to see if I would have to take a D/L test to change over to OZ D/L, then after telling me no, he told me what he did.
Any more clarification on this anyone??
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:48 pm
love the life i live

Mysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simpy
My friend who migrated last December just went with his UK D/L, and they changed it to OZ D/L there and then (more or less). I am only speaking from what he told me as I was asking him to see if I would have to take a D/L test to change over to OZ D/L, then after telling me no, he told me what he did.

Yes you are right, sorry i should have explained myself better what i meant was that you can drive on your uk licence for 3 months before you change it.
Thats for those laid back folk like me
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Your first week in Australia ( a checklist )

I think you will find he means that you have 3 months to get it changed into a aussie one ,lol.
Lorri
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

emilov is on a distinguished road

Hi

but wait, aren't you suppose to wait a week before applying for medicare?
quote:
"To register with Medicare, you should wait approximately 10 working days after your arrival in Australia and then go to a Medicare office, listed in the telephone book, with your passport or travel documents."

Cheers,
Emil
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Yes you are right, sorry i should have explained myself better what i meant was that you can drive on your uk licence for 3 months before you change it.
Thats for those laid back folk like me
phew!!!!!! Didn't fancy doing the test. Tried the 'online' theory test and failed a few too many times
Old Sep 14th 2006, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

phew!!!!!! Didn't fancy doing the test. Tried the 'online' theory test and failed a few too many times
I got my licence in Esk,a little country town in QLD after failing 2 times in the city.
I hate tests,and since I had to exchange my australian licence for a UK one I was sweating it having to do a theory test again,so I rang them up and they said I just have to take id in and show them and they will just give me a replacement licence ,yipeeeeeeeee
Cheers,
Lorri
Old Sep 14th 2006, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Steve

First get Tax File Number (you can do this online and is pretty easy)

Medicare - you cannot apply for this until you are in the system and I think you are requested to go to them between 7 and 10 days after you arrive (the information is on their site). In our case it took 2 weeks before the information was in the system so we went back a couple of times.

Driving Licence - within 3 months

Apart from that there is just the usual stuff that you would do as matter of course, ie. bank account, car hire or purchase, looking for accommodation, registering for electricity etc (online) registering at the doctors (after you get your Medicare number), applying for Family Tax benefit if you have kids and are entitled.

Julia
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Back2Oz is on a distinguished road

Is there anything specific I should do the first time entering as a PR?
I'm travelling to oz for 3 weeks to validate the visa, and probably travelling out permenantly early 2007, is there anything I need to do in the 3 week visit? I've already got a TFN from working in Oz on a 457 3 years ago.

Do I need to Medicare?
Can I get a Driving License on temp address?
What's the deal with Immigration extra baggage allowance? will i get it in Feb?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
First get Tax File Number (you can do this online and is pretty easy)

Medicare - you cannot apply for this until you are in the system and I think you are requested to go to them between 7 and 10 days after you arrive (the information is on their site). In our case it took 2 weeks before the information was in the system so we went back a couple of times.

Driving Licence - within 3 months

Apart from that there is just the usual stuff that you would do as matter of course, ie. bank account, car hire or purchase, looking for accommodation, registering for electricity etc (online) registering at the doctors (after you get your Medicare number), applying for Family Tax benefit if you have kids and are entitled.

Julia

Thanks Jaymac

So we should be looking at

#1 Bank Account
#2 Tax file number
#3 Medicare after approx 10 days
#4 Driving Licence
#5 Register with GP (post medicare)
#6 Centrelink for Family Tax Benefit
#7 Register for electricity if applicable

Great Stuff

Another one or two that spring to mind

#7 Life insurance and Private Health Insurance
#8 Get mobile phones
#9 Register kids at school
#10 Register with Recruitment Agencies

Anyone care to add to the list?

Last edited by Stephen; Sep 14th 2006 at 11:08 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 12:32 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Steve
read this it may help a bit and also search keyword from search bar at the top. there is some crap oyut there but be patient, ppeoople write pots of gold if yiou are prepared to scour a bit, there are plenty of threads about this http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...things+arrival

good luck
al
Old Sep 15th 2006, 12:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

#5 Register with GP (post medicare)
There is no concept of registering with a GP. If you need to see a doctor you just make an appointment.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 12:53 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
There is no concept of registering with a GP. If you need to see a doctor you just make an appointment.
find a bulk billing one too

cant remeber why but its all added up together i think-clarification please guys?

al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.