Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your favourite Australian city?

View Poll Results: Favourite Australian city?
Perth and surrounding towns
40.00%
Adelaide and surrounding towns
26.00%
Brisbane and surrounding towns
34.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Your favourite Australian city?

Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:11 am
Student Nurse

scotoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Your favourite Australian city?

I would like to know everyones opinions of which city they have really enjoyed living in or just travelled to.

In terms of getting more bang for your buck (low cost of living) great weather, overall better quality of life, less crime, friendly city, good for walking, cycling. Work/life balance, cheaper property.

I would absolutely love to visit WA, SA and QLD. Those states really suit my taste.

I'v heard alot of positives regarding WA and Perth itself but the biggest gripe is that property is mega expensive.

Last edited by scotoz; Jan 25th 2009 at 9:13 am.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:41 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your favourite Australian city?

I've been all up the East coast from Melbourne to Cooktown, across QLD from Rockhampton to MT Isa, and up through the NT from Uluru to Darwin and Brisbane is my favourite place. Having said that, I voted in your poll but it's probably not fair as I haven't been to Adelaide or Perth.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Visited all 3 places on our reccie but only lived in Adelaide. For me it wins hands down, although I did love Perth and Brisbane and originally planned to move to Perth but have no regrets about coming to Adelaide whatsoever, in fact I know we made the right decision. Love living in the hills and made some fabulous friends here, get great weather for most of the year but get 4 very defined seasons which I love.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:17 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
Visited all 3 places on our reccie but only lived in Adelaide. For me it wins hands down, although I did love Perth and Brisbane and originally planned to move to Perth but have no regrets about coming to Adelaide whatsoever, in fact I know we made the right decision. Love living in the hills and made some fabulous friends here, get great weather for most of the year but get 4 very defined seasons which I love.
I know you're not being specific here but I get frustrated when people talk about Brisbane not having seasons. It surely does. During winter, we went out and bought heaters and spent out time in woollies and jackets. I would go to the footy in a big jacket, beanie hat and gloves. Having said that it was probably only about 12 degrees at the time but you get acclimatised and certainly do see 4 seasons.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

well your poll shows Perth is the favourite????
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:27 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
well your poll shows Perth is the favourite????
Jeez, the votes haven't even got into double-figures yet!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

How come Sydney and Melbourne are not on your list?!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:54 am
Student Nurse

Originally Posted by caliburn
How come Sydney and Melbourne are not on your list?!
Because im not really interested in moving there sorry. I just wanted to hear everyones view/opinion on the cities above (poll) but i am getting alot of input which is good

I know alot of people in Perth, i dont have a favourite city as of yet though.

Melbourne doesn't get that hot i've known people that have been, its also quite expensive as is Sydney, which is also too busy for me.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane and Perth aren't exactly cheap places to live.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:57 am
Student Nurse

Originally Posted by Grayling
Brisbane and Perth aren't exactly cheap places to live.
Cheaper than Sydney though? I would not live in a city but rather outside one. About 1 hour max.

I think the further outside the cities you go the cheaper it is?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful what you wish for.

For some of the activities you mention somewhere like Melbourne would fit the bill.

'Great weather' means different things to different people.

Brisbane's weather at the moment is awful IMO but will be nice in the winter whereas Adelaide will be pretty cold at times.

You are going to have to compromise somewhere.

G
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:07 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

If the title was "Your favourite Australian capital city", maybe this would have some credence. There are other cities in Australia, other than the three mentioned capital cities you know.
Another wasted poll, I guess!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:09 am
Student Nurse

Originally Posted by Grayling
Be careful what you wish for.

For some of the activities you mention somewhere like Melbourne would fit the bill.

'Great weather' means different things to different people.

Brisbane's weather at the moment is awful IMO but will be nice in the winter whereas Adelaide will be pretty cold at times.

You are going to have to compromise somewhere.

G

Your right about the compromising but its awfy hard lol.

Speaking of Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne then, which of the 4 are the most expensive to live in? Even outside the city. I just hope i can make it on a starting wage of $43,000 AUS that is what some hospitals pay graduate nurses.

The biggest draw is the laid back lifestyle, being close to beautiful beaches, easy going people, a cheaper cost of living and a better work/life balance.

My relative in Perth loves it but she said its mega bucks for a house. You do pay over the odds.

If the title was "Your favourite Australian capital city", maybe this would have some credence. There are other cities in Australia, other than the three mentioned capital cities you know.
I wasn't being vague, but i did mention "surrounding areas" that could be within 2-3 hours from the cities themself. Trying to be open minded. I'm sure there are pleanty of medical centres all over the place anyway.

I am also new here. Give me some slack please.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:11 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotoz

I'v heard alot of positives regarding WA and Perth itself but the biggest gripe is that property is mega expensive.
Perth has also been known as a hot, boring, fly-ridden city, whose only real claim to fame was it once held an America's Cup regatta.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:12 am
Student Nurse

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Perth has also been known as a hot, boring, fly-ridden city, whose only real claim to fame was it once held an America's Cup regatta.
Perth, boring?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.