Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In your experiences which is better?

In your experiences which is better?

Old Dec 27th 2004, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In your experiences which is better?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think you may not have read the other posts fully, (or we understand things differently) but it's not the posting about feelings etc that gives a problem, it's the putting down of people who do like Australia that I have commented on today.

Why would someone be scared to honestly post that they are torn good and bad about both as long as they don't add comments that indicate that anyone who likes Australia is wearing rose tinted glasses, and therefore can't know the truth as much as someone who has gone back to the UK ?

Our experiences are all different, However, glittababe and I both live(d) in the same area, Victoria Point, although in very different parts it would seem. We have both been to the same hospital, and had different experiences. My view, after 14 years in Australia, is that you get varied service in hospitals the world over, glittababe's view, after 3-4 months in the country is that - the OZ system is shite! A very true and knowledgeable view of the whole Australian Health service ?

Individual posts about individual experiences are perfectly OK, welcomed and and NEEDED, but posts like that give a distorted view.

It's like me saying that I had a car stolen in the UK, but never in Australia. Therefore Car theft in the UK is rife, and you should come and live in Australia to get away from it.

I had my business in the UK broken into, UK is a terrible place for crime.

My area in the UK needed street cleaners to come round every day, so the UK is full of litter louts. Here they don't need to come round as often.

How do those comments sound ? It's the same generalisation that you have just defended, but for a different country, one that you have publicly stated that you prefer to Australia yourself.

Again I will say (Those bits were put in to provide comparison ... it is not how I think of it, even though they are serious examples)

As I pointed out, Glittababe also praised the bits of australia she liked, that is my point shes said good and bad about both countries, shes never been all for one country or the other shes been very open and frank about both.

You talk about defending generalisations thats what I am saying she doesnt really defend either country over the other, she simply says what she feels about both good and bad. Shes Fair and honest and she has been taken to task for her bad comments on Australia, I havent seen the thread where shes been pulled apart for her bad comments on the UK or did I miss that one

And people do refrain from posting when they are having a bad time here, lots of people say that on the forum and when you meet them off the forum, and as someone who does post some of the negatives of australia I know how many respond privately that they feel the same way but dont want to look negative and say it aloud

You must know it happens ABC, lets face it you take task with my postings often enough. You carry on being the guardian of utopia as someone called you and I'll stick up for the underdog. Thank you.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 4:24 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Extreme reply as per, but wasn't that what was suggested?
I don't really mind Wombat's posts myself. He's never been nasty to me.

Actually this is practically a carbon copy of a post of mine and a reply by him from several weeks ago on exactly the same subject. I hope to get back to South Africa someday and see the bits I missed first time around.

Anyhoo, it's a moot point about going to live there, because I wouldn't for the reasons I mentioned, and which Wombat rather er....exagerrated!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ is the better

Gentlemen please………………..

Out of all the countries I have lived in New Zealand is the best.

Thought I’d pop my two cents in.

I thankyou
Old Dec 27th 2004, 4:34 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I don't really mind Wombat's posts myself. He's never been nasty to me.

Actually this is practically a carbon copy of a post of mine and a reply by him from several weeks ago on exactly the same subject. I hope to get back to South Africa someday and see the bits I missed first time around.

Anyhoo, it's a moot point about going to live there, because I wouldn't for the reasons I mentioned, and which Wombat rather er....exagerrated!
Yes, I think he's fine too - just extreme at times
Old Dec 27th 2004, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]

It's like me saying that I had a car stolen in the UK, but never in Australia. Therefore Car theft in the UK is rife, and you should come and live in Australia to get away from it.

I had my business in the UK broken into, UK is a terrible place for crime.

My area in the UK needed street cleaners to come round every day, so the UK is full of litter louts. Here they don't need to come round as often.

How do those comments sound ? It's the same generalisation that you have just defended, but for a different country, one that you have publicly stated that you prefer to Australia yourself.

QUOTE]

They sound quite amusing really because they are the exact type of comments made about the UK all the time on here. And I dont think Ive seen you jump in and take task with those people tho.

Back to what I was saying glittababe doesnt have a team shes just straight up about both places.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 4:41 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You carry on being the guardian of utopia as someone called you and I'll stick up for the underdog. Thank you.
Where is Utopia ? and who is the underdog ?
You wouldn't be one of those that is sarcastic in calling Australia Utopia would you ? Very few people, other than those that are verbally anti-australia actually refer to the country as a perfect place, and those that do are doing it in a sarcastic idiotic way.

Also why would you say I am the guardian of Utopia ? It can't be Australia as I often comment that there are areas of Australia that I don't like, I just don't lump them all together. I like to try to help people see the real picture.
So WHAT exactly are you saying ?

Old Dec 27th 2004, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where is Utopia ? and who is the underdog ?
You wouldn't be one of those that is sarcastic in calling Australia Utopia would you ? Very few people, other than those that are verbally anti-australia actually refer to the country as a perfect place, and those that do are doing it in a sarcastic idiotic way.

Also why would you say I am the guardian of Utopia ? It can't be Australia as I often comment that there are areas of Australia that I don't like, I just don't lump them all together. I like to try to help people see the real picture.
So WHAT exactly are you saying ?

You were called the Guardian of Utopia, not by ME, I'm sure you know better than me who started it Got the impression it was your nickname or something.

You make me laugh you always get up my posts then get all hetty if I respond so why start it if you dont want a response?

You try and come across as all diplomatic and tactful but when exactly did you ever be Mr diplomat in a thread that was chucking crap at the UK?

You started on me today because I pointed out glittababe doesnt present a one sided argumet and I still think that so there
Old Dec 27th 2004, 4:57 am
ABCDiamond

They sound quite amusing really because they are the exact type of comments made about the UK all the time on here. And I dont think Ive seen you jump in and take task with those people tho.
Why should I ? Those comments do not impact on me in the same way as being accused of me wearing rose tinted glasses after 14 years in this country. However, if other people are still saying them maybe there is truth it in it after all, but it isn't a subject I will discuss as I left the UK some years ago, and no longer know how it is there these days. My main knowledge is now certain areas of Australia. Also I am more concerned with things here in Australia

You say those "exact type of comments" are made "all the time", show me some recent ones, as I don't seem to recall seeing them. Maybe they are in threads I don't read.

Back to what I was saying glittababe doesnt have a team shes just straight up about both places.
So when she says that the OZ health care system is shite, she is being straight up, and when I say it is OK I am wearing "rose tints". And when someone else says that she can't know in such a shorty time, they get accused of slating them.

"I assume that no one is allowed to say positive things about Australia then for fear of being accused of wearing "rose Tints" ? It all seems a tad one way to me.

Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why should I ? Those comments do not impact on me in the same way as being accused of me wearing rose tinted glasses after 14 years in this country. However, if other people are still saying them maybe there is truth it in it after all, but it isn't a subject I will discuss as I left the UK some years ago, and no longer know how it is there these days. My main knowledge is now certain areas of Australia. Also I am more concerned with things here in Australia

You say those "exact type of comments" are made "all the time", show me some recent ones, as I don't seem to recall seeing them. Maybe they are in threads I don't read.

So when she says that the OZ health care system is shite, she is being straight up, and when I say it is OK I am wearing "rose tints". And when someone else says that she can't know in such a shorty time, they get accused of slating them.

"I assume that no one is allowed to say positive things about Australia then for fear of being accused of wearing "rose Tints" ? It all seems a tad one way to me.

Who, when and where did you get accused of wearing rose tints

And why again bring up glittababes negative comment? why not one of her great comments like the pages of beaut photos she posted on australia. Charming lady very fair
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:08 am
ABCDiamond

You were called the Guardian of Utopia, not by ME,
Now this is getting funny

You did say "You carry on being the guardian of utopia as someone called you"

Now, I recall a post where you were called a fool, so in your words........

"You carry on being a fool as someone called you" and remember yoir quote above, reworded as: "You were called a fool, not by ME, "

You make me laugh you always get up my posts then get all hetty if I respond so why start it if you dont want a response?
Who said I don't want a response ? I'm enjoying this today

I always get up your posts ?? You must admit that isn't true. I've happily answered some of your posts where you requested help or advise. So what gives ? Think about it.

Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now this is getting funny

You did say "You carry on being the guardian of utopia as someone called you"

Now, I recall a post where you were called a fool, so in your words........

"You carry on being a fool as someone called you" and remember yoir quote above, reworded as: "You were called a fool, not by ME, "

Who said I don't want a response ? I'm enjoying this today
I always get up your posts ?? You must admit that isn't true. I've happily answered some of your posts where you requested help or advise. So what gives ? Think about it.

I'm sure if I'd been called a fool you would have hilighted the thread in purple and red by now

However lets get to the crux of todays problem, I posted with no direct reference to your postings, just that glittababe was a great poster who points out good and bad about the UK and australia. OH hell fire and demons what a crime YOU had a problem with that.

So you had a spat with the lady, a nurse isnt she? about your local hospital, so what? I dont care never been there never will thats your dispute not mine.
Please keep your disputes or personal greivances to yourself, Victoria Point is not somewhere I would choose to live so its just not relevant to me

I should be allowed to point out I like a poster without your bloody two bobs worth of hassle.

I like glittababes postings, good god how dare someone post that
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gentlemen please............

Gentlemen please……………….

All countries have their good and not so good points, all countries have their little idiosyncrasies and that is what makes that country rich in terms of culture and nuances.

There is nothing to be gained by verbal aggression about one person’s view compared to another.

There is a quote of one man’s meat is another man’s poison, surely the objective of this thread is to have open and honest debate and exchange views and opinions in a friendly and constructive manner?

At this harmonious and festive time let us all share that debate.

I thankyou.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Glittababes posts have had a rare honesty, shes admitted being torn at times, something on here you dont read that often, but I think many feel.

Ive never found her that biased to either country overall when you read a lot of her posts, you could equally hilight where she praised aussie beaches or swimmng pools or said her kids have loved it, shes done a wonderful job in posting honestly and been very human in her emotions, I actually think its a pity more people dont post that honestly and openly, because when you meet poms here its often how they feel - torn good and bad about both and neither place will ever be the best but you can see why people dont post that on here :scared:

I cant nominate any country as 'the best' at different times of my life many countries have or will suit, and each member of my family may add to that complex issue by requiring different things at different times. Australia UK Canada USA etc all offer a good standard of life compared to how most of the world live.
My offensive post for those who made a cup of tea or took a leak in the interval. Shocking isnt it :scared:
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:56 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Gentlemen please............

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Gentlemen please……………….

All countries have their good and not so good points, all countries have their little idiosyncrasies and that is what makes that country rich in terms of culture and nuances.

There is nothing to be gained by verbal aggression about one person’s view compared to another.

There is a quote of one man’s meat is another man’s poison, surely the objective of this thread is to have open and honest debate and exchange views and opinions in a friendly and constructive manner?

At this harmonious and festive time let us all share that debate.

I thankyou.
Fair comment

Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:40 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

I think you will find most people here will probably say "Australia", if only due to the fact that most people on this forum are either in Australia, or wanting to be in Australia. There will of course be a number who prefer the country they came from, ie: mainly Britain, again due to the forum being for "British" Expats

The problem is that everyone has different values, opinions and requirements, and no one location can possibly suit everyone.
Having lived in many different countries and places-probably about 20 due to dad being in the forces, I am inclined to go with the view that " home is where the heart is!" Every place has its pros and cons, as long as you have the essential things in life then theat is good enough for me, and I am not talking about the lamborgini or the 10 bedroom mansion! You have to make the most of the place you are in, not everywhere is perfect, but you can attempt to make it perfect!
ViVi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.