Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Your experiences of the Australian job market.

Your experiences of the Australian job market.

Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:51 am
Just Joined

jaylondon85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your experiences of the Australian job market.

Hello, I'm thinking of going to Australia in February with my friend on a working holiday visa. I would like to extend the visa so I am looking to do the required 3 month Agriculture work, maybe something like fruit picking, then look for a more skilled job (IT is my expertise). It would be good to hear from anyone here who has gone to Australia on a working holiday visa and what your experiences were when you looked for work. Is it easy to find work in Australia?

What I don't want to happen is for me to go out to Australia and I can't find work.

Any comments/experiences would be much appreciated.

John
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your experiences of the Australian job market.

Originally Posted by jaylondon85
Hello, I'm thinking of going to Australia in February with my friend on a working holiday visa. I would like to extend the visa so I am looking to do the required 3 month Agriculture work, maybe something like fruit picking, then look for a more skilled job (IT is my expertise). It would be good to hear from anyone here who has gone to Australia on a working holiday visa and what your experiences were when you looked for work. Is it easy to find work in Australia?

What I don't want to happen is for me to go out to Australia and I can't find work.

Any comments/experiences would be much appreciated.

John
You'll get work and you'll have a ball. Enjoy
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

My nephew is 21 and just done the same thing with a mate. He has worked on a farm picking zucchini and has now moved on to deck hand on a pearl boat. He is having a ball and not had any problems finding work. He is a joiner by trade and been offered a job as a joiner when he is ready to stop travelling. He has already prepared his folks for the fact he may not want to come back when his 2 years are up Go for it -you will love it!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:41 am
Just Joined

jaylondon85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, thanks for the reply's. Betty Boot, do you know where in Australia your nephew went?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaylondon85
Hello, thanks for the reply's. Betty Boot, do you know where in Australia your nephew went?
Hi Jay

Yes he flew to Perth, they bought a van and travelled North. Got the pearling job in Broome but has now relocated (with the job) to Darwin. I chat with him on FB and he says there is loads of work for travellers