Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

From your experience which would you do?

View Poll Results: From your experience what would you do?
Sod it, sell it and go for it!
75.34%
Rent it out until you know for sure, whenever that is?
24.66%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

From your experience which would you do?

Old May 5th 2007, 4:27 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice
Question From your experience which would you do?

Sell your house, and come to Oz with the equity and start again debt free, clean slate, give it your best
OR
Save up for a couple of years, rent the house out and come to Oz, see how it goes.

My head says the sensible thing to do would be the latter, but my heart says sod it, you can always start again if it doesnt work out and would we really give it our best shot if we had something to run back to????

The reason i ask is my parents sold their home a few years ago to move to spain and after a couple of years decided it wasnt for them and came back broke. My mum says she really regretted selling the house until they had decided but i always said well you'd have to have sold it at some point and you could have changed your mind 20 years later and regretted it

So from your personal experiences what do you think??
Old May 5th 2007, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

GTFC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From your experience which would you do?

We have decided sod it and sell it !! I could have taken a 1 year break from work and started my new job over in oz in that time and kept the house. However we thought if we keep it and i'm only on a break from my job then we won't be doing it for real and it'll only be a holiday. To sample it for real, we decided, you had to really go for it sell up quit the job and fully start again.

If we hate it and come back skint in two years then at least we gave it ago, unlike others who only dream.
Old May 5th 2007, 6:35 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

We are sod it and sell it. Can't be doing with the hassel of renting it out and I wouldn't want anyone else living in my house anyway.

Jackie x
Old May 5th 2007, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I personally wanted to ret our house out here til I knew I would be happy over there, but then we thought about all the damage that could potentially be done by bad tenants and all the things we could be responsible for 10,000 miles away, ok so theoretically whoever you rent your house out with should look after you and your house but IMO thats not gaurunteed, could have asked family to keep a watch over the place for me but thats a stress for them and I think I'd worry more if we rented it out, I quite like teh house we have now and leaving it will be hard but I think if you rent it out it's more of a tempation if you're going through a rough patch over the other side of the world to just jack it in instead of sorting it out.
I think whereever you go be it somewhere in the Uk other side of the world there will be happy times and sad times rough and smooth patches.
Only you can decide whats right for you but if you thin kit will be an added stress or make it all too easy to come back i'd say sell it.

Jen
Old May 5th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

We also are "Sod it and sell it". You only get one chance in life and we are determined to make it work, we can't do will all the hassle of not being in the country and someone else living in our house. Oh and then there is the other reason...............we need the equity to buy in Oz. Good luck to everybody whatever their decision.
Old May 5th 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

GTFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Re renting - i had an investment property which i rented out to a colleague (belived would be trustworthy, check out my proffession) i had problems with rent not being paid, complaints from neighbours, complaints from council due to mess . . . . etc. sod it and sell up
Old May 5th 2007, 7:23 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm another 'sod it and selling up' merchant

The sensible thing is to keep your property in blighty and reap the rewards of house price increases over the next few years,but moving to the other side of the world to somewhere you've never been before is'nt exactly a sensible thing to do !!!!

Being sensible when out of the window the minute i started this whole emigration malarky

Lee
Old May 5th 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

janet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud of

cant make our mind up either , one minute we are selling , next minute lets rent it . This morning we were for renting , now in the space of one day have changed our minds again and nothing in particular makes us change . Im sure we will make our minds up soon .
Old May 5th 2007, 9:12 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

Wow where all sod it and sell its!
the interesting thing here though is the fact we are all still in the uk, will be interesting to see what the ones already in oz have to say.
I have only thought about renting it out today as i have come to realise that we are in a very risky situation. We cannot get a skilled visa or PRso would be going on a sponsered job visa, if my husband hates his job or gets sacked we have to be out of Oz in less than 28 days. until he completes two years then we can have PR. This means his employee will have a huuuuuuge hold on him hence the rethink.
If we had PR then yeah sod it and no looking back but dont know if its too much to lose to end up back- not out of choice in 3 months!
Old May 5th 2007, 11:08 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved we rented the UK house (to nasty tenants) for just over a year until we moved onto PR from 457. Our PR was not definite and we would not take the risk to sell if we could not stay.

Now five years on I think what if we had kept the house - But never mind it is gone now and we did the right thing at the time and have a nice place in Aus. I am thinking of coming back to the UK first for at least a year and when I can persuade hubby we will be renting out our Aus property. I am no way dropping out of the housing market twice.

All this is to make it easier to come back to Aus . Life changes over time and you have to make a decision and ensure you don't keep thinking oh dear what have we done. I think trying a six month to a year rental period is a good option. I do not believe it makes it easier to want to move back it is just a sensible plan if you really do not want to stay and that happens to plenty of people.

It made our money much tighter for the first year, especially on one job for four months. But we managed, we only bought one old car and really changed the way we had previously lived - renting out a large but pretty crap house without a pool. We shipped everything we owned, all the crap and did not buy anything we did not really need. Guest slept on old futons and the kids where still in their old bunks. That all changed when we sold in England and bought here - there was a little bit of a shop fest for new beds and a suite. If I look back that first year was the hardest but possibly one of the nicest in terms of managing and changing ourselves. If we had come over with all the money to start I think we would not have spent as wisely as we did. We knew a lot more after one year than we did straight off the plane.

I know it is not possible for some people who need the capital from the house to start again, I am also not saying I am right, just what worked very well for us.

Five years on we are considering buying a second car! Mainly cause son is turning 17 this week. Hubby got a motorbike to help with transport like the UK, we have five tellys in the house - three from the UK! We still have the old bed but in the guest room and my mum is pleased she doesn't have to sleep on 4 inches of matresss on the floor when she visits.

You never know what you can do till you try it.

Cheers Sandra
Old May 6th 2007, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

cra1gm is an unknown quantity at this point

if you live in an area with house prices in the uk rising keep hold of it and rent out, if its hit the top sell and use the cash to buy in an area which will reap the rewards.
Old May 6th 2007, 8:07 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

We also are doing to 'sod it sell it'. If - after a couple
of years - we decide that Australia isn't for us, we'll
buy another house. It will be a bit cheaper though
because a bit of our equity will be gone.

But....as lots of other people.....we are planning to stay
for us selling the house means we are really going for it.

Please decide what is best for you and what feels best,
it's your life and you've got to live it!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Miranda
Old May 6th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Rachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond reputeRachel1978 has a reputation beyond repute

We sold up and came over. I think if you rent your house out its too easy to quit Oz and go home at the first hurdle. I think you should emigrate with the attitude that your not going home to have the best chance at success.

Rachel
Old May 6th 2007, 8:19 am
Just Joined

tani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nicetani is just really nice

Originally Posted by janet66
cant make our mind up either , one minute we are selling , next minute lets rent it . This morning we were for renting , now in the space of one day have changed our minds again and nothing in particular makes us change . Im sure we will make our minds up soon .
I'd rent it.
Imagine the shall we sell or rent ? being the shall we stay or go back ?.

Having a home to go back to would be heaven if you wanted to go back to UK after a few years.

Hard one but no doubt for me what I would have done given the choice again
I really believed it was going to be where I settled and was very positive indeed. After time though, I was suprised that I really began to doubt if I could stay here long term.
You really just do not know no matter what attitude you come with which is why I think a get out of jail card is brill to have.

Be intersting to see on the poll whose just arrived or been here awhile - just a thought to see the difference in opinion to the ?

Last edited by tani; May 6th 2007 at 8:23 am.
Old May 6th 2007, 8:25 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted rent it out.

We sold up everything, house, business, cars.

Been here a year now and god i wish we had kept it all. You just don't know if it's gonna work out how you imagine it to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.