Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are your children 'proper aussies'?

Are your children 'proper aussies'?

Old Aug 8th 2012, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are your children 'proper aussies'?

Originally Posted by paddyo
'cut glass accent' and 'high tea'...thats not english...thats a generalisation of upper class people in Britain.......bizarre!
It was a deliberate generalisation in the same way people have bizarre notions of what all Australians do.

There sometimes is a feeling that being an 'Aussie' (or speaking like one, for example) can only be a bad thing. Being a 'proper Brit' can also be bad news, of course.

For the record - my kids were all born here, sound Australian, are very much into everything and will probably do well. But then they were fortunate with their circumstances..which I won't go in to. They are set up already, in some ways.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It was a deliberate generalisation in the same way people have bizarre notions of what all Australians do.

There sometimes is a feeling that being an 'Aussie' (or speaking like one, for example) can only be a bad thing. Being a 'proper Brit' can also be bad news, of course.

For the record - my kids were all born here, sound Australian, are very much into everything and will probably do well. But then they were fortunate with their circumstances..which I won't go in to. They are set up already, in some ways.
Excuse me butting in, but I do often read many threads in other forums.

By "set up" I presume you mean financially? Other circumstances? Surely they are individual and personal to each and every family?

I think my own kids in Italy live in circumstances totally different to their Italian counterparts in at least one way because they have an English mother and the opportunity to travel backwards and forwards and live with English family in the UK or here in their own home and they are perfectly bilingual. That circumstance puts them streets ahead of their friends who have to learn and study and struggle with English. That's just one example.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

By "set up" I presume you mean financially? Other circumstances? Surely they are individual and personal to each and every family?

I think my own kids in Italy live in circumstances totally different to their Italian counterparts in at least one way because they have an English mother and the opportunity to travel backwards and forwards and live with English family in the UK or here in their own home and they are perfectly bilingual. That circumstance puts them streets ahead of their friends who have to learn and study and struggle with English. That's just one example.
Ah but Lorna, these are Badge's kids - they have a superhuman mother who can ignore all warnings and walk through floodwaters with pushchairs, their father can afford to spend more on a shirt than most Africans will spend on food in a year, and he earns more than most of us can ever dream of.
They have the Perfect Family.........

(And yep, I've met him, I've shared pints with him a few years back, but trust me, he and his family now inhabit a parallel world )
Old Aug 9th 2012, 4:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ah but Lorna, these are Badge's kids - they have a superhuman mother who can ignore all warnings and walk through floodwaters with pushchairs, their father can afford to spend more on a shirt than most Africans will spend on food in a year, and he earns more than most of us can ever dream of.

(And yep, I've met him, I've shared pints with him a few years back, but trust me, he and his family now inhabit a parallel world )
You forgot to mention Mrs Badge's beautiful, elegant, delicate (not the usual dancer's manky) feet.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 5:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You forgot to mention Mrs Badge's beautiful, elegant, delicate (not the usual dancer's manky) feet.
I really didn't want the image of her physical attributes, I was eating my lunch at the time
Old Aug 9th 2012, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Badge always forgets that everyone thinks their children are beautiful, perfect, talented, intelligent, stunning, super athletic, and of course geniuses.

Then they become teenagers a raging river of hormones, peers become king, parents become idiots and the more smug the parents were the more they will play up.

And not one parent will ever believe that will happen, but it will.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 9th 2012 at 6:22 am.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Maybe she's a lot younger than us - the new gel toe protectors you wear in your pointe shoes are amazing, just like a breast implant in your shoe, I just bought new ones for my daughter and they're bright pink with sparkles through the silicon.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Maybe she's a lot younger than us - the new gel toe protectors you wear in your pointe shoes are amazing, just like a breast implant in your shoe, I just bought new ones for my daughter and they're bright pink with sparkles through the silicon.
Why would you want breast implants in your shoes? Sorry
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

You clearly haven't worn 5 inch heels?
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Oi! Watch it with the age comments there.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Mr Badge always forgets that everyone thinks their children are beautiful, perfect, talented, intelligent, stunning, super athletic, and of course geniuses.

Then they become teenagers a raging river of hormones, peers become king, parents become idiots and the more smug the parents were the more they will play up.

And not one parent will ever believe that will happen, but it will.
Of course it will happen - I expect it. Where have I said it won't happen. My kids can be a handful at times - but they make up for it in other ways. And I know my kids have advantages in ways that others don't - it's a matter of fact. I only have to read BE to know that this is the case.

I know plenty of parents who think that their children are not the luckiest in the world: the problem with some parents is that they think life is one big battle. That's where the real damage occurs.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Yes, this is part of it. You get it.

The parrallel world - can you explain it - it's just chances and opportunities in life - that's all.

I thought the whole point was that I had found cheap shirts online that were as cheap as some of the stuff you found in Myer.....but never mind...

and I have never said anything about how much I earn - in fact, if I reflect on salaries I have talked about - I am earning alot lower than most of you - (I even admitted to earning less than 6 figures about 8 years ago) and, further more, I took a huge paycut 18 mnths ago...
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The point is that yes my kids are proper Aussies.

And that being an Aussie does not not necessarily equate with some sort of disaster, or disadvantage - unless the parents breed it into the sorry sods.

That is all!
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

the problem with some parents is that they think life is one big battle. That's where the real damage occurs.
You see you say something like that and show the rest of the world you really do have no concept of some peoples lives. Some families lives ARE one big battle there is no 'think' about it. Not everyone has your apparent perfect life but it's ok, you'll never meet them or if you do you probably won't 'see' them.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You see you say something like that and show the rest of the world you really do have no concept of some peoples lives. Some families lives ARE one big battle there is no 'think' about it. Not everyone has your apparent perfect life but it's ok, you'll never meet them or if you do you probably won't 'see' them.
Once again I have never said I have a perfect life - that is just a fabrication from the forum battlers. I just don't dwell on the bad things and look to overcome and solve challenges - like living in another country from the one of my birth.

I hear what you are saying MP: but here's a difference between :

struggling through life and making the most of what you have got - and playing the battler card - and sniping at people who work harder, or have achieved some luck from time to time.
In the vein of my comment about breeding battler attitudes - there are also some very proud, disadvantaged people who take what they are given - and they don't encourage their children to be pessimistic. And there are people who are a lot better off who do nothing but complain.

I am not the richest, brightest or luckiest person but I do my best with what I have got and I have been lucky up to a point and I was lucky with the chances I was given.

We all work hard at times. We all have to do the best.
Someone said on this forum that the 'haters' don't realise how hard the 'lucky' have worked. It's precisely because we have worked hard that we can then enjoy the fruits of our labour and relax occasionally without hard donebys.

To say I know nothing of people's lives is not true - I know people struggle...oh yes. I could go into more detail but I suspect people wouldn't believe me. But people on BE would rather concentrate on Tv and supermarkets, not real poverty, or abuse, or the loss of a person in a road accident, or in a war, or worry about what Australia or the UK is doing to their kids...And people have a go at me. Do you see where I am coming from?

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Aug 9th 2012 at 1:52 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:23 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Once again I have never said I have a perfect life - that is just a fabrication from the forum battlers. I just don't dwell on the bad things and look to overcome and solve challenges - like living in another country from the one of my birth.

I hear what you are saying MP: but here's a difference between :

struggling through life and making the most of what you have got - and playing the battler card - and sniping at people who work harder, or have achieved some luck from time to time.
In the vein of my comment about breeding battler attitudes - there are also some very proud, disadvantaged people who take what they are given - and they don't encourage their children to be pessimistic. And there are people who are a lot better off who do nothing but complain.

I am not the richest, brightest or luckiest person but I do my best with what I have got and I have been lucky up to a point and I was lucky with the chances I was given.

We all work hard at times. We all have to do the best.
Someone said on this forum that the 'haters' don't realise how hard the 'lucky' have worked. It's precisely because we have worked hard that we can then enjoy the fruits of our labour and relax occasionally without hard donebys.

To say I know nothing of people's lives is not true - I know people struggle...oh yes. I could go into more detail but I suspect people wouldn't believe me. But people on BE would rather concentrate on Tv and supermarkets, not real poverty, or abuse, or the loss of a person in a road accident, or in a war, or worry about what Australia or the UK is doing to their kids...And people have a go at me. Do you see where I am coming from?
My sentiments entirely......well said!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.