Young Couples!

Old May 8th 2009, 7:28 am
Just Joined

xxxcaggyxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young Couples!

Hey,

Me and my partner have decided to up and move from the uk! We have a applied for a working holiday visa, if we like it we will hopefully apply for a permantent visa....

Im 25, My partner 24..

Where should we move to...

We would like...

Near to the coast as possible
Max rent 0f $350 per week rent
Not to far away from a big city (about 30 min drive)
Be close to other brit (young couples)
Safe and Friendly
Lively atmosphere (ie- pubs ect!)

Any ideas on where we should be looking at moving?

Help

CAZ N JON
Old May 8th 2009, 7:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Couples!

The joy of a WHV is that you go anywhere and after a few months move on to somewhere else. The sky is the limit, you should not tie yourselves down to any one place. You won't get to explore and find what suits you.
Old May 8th 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

Hi Caz and Jon,

Myself and my partner went over on working holiday visas to travel around Australia a few years ago. We had an amazing time and as said in previous posts they are designed with the view that you will travel so therefore you could visit a few places and make your own minds up about which best suits you (we drove from Perth - up and over the country to end up in sydney. Worked in 3 places on the way - Karratha, Cairns and Sydney - for a few months each and fell in love with the counrty!)

The terms on the WHV are that you can only work at one company for a max of 3 months (or they were when we went over there anyway - not sure if they have changed). Also, if you do some kind of harvest work for a certain period of time (don't know exacts) then you can extend your WHV for another year I think (sure someone will put me right if this isn't correct)

Cairns is a fab place for young couples as of course are most of the main areas eg Sydney etc but it really does depend on the individual as what was right for me may not be right for someone else.

Sorry I can't be of any more help and good luck!
Old May 8th 2009, 10:09 am
Just Joined

xxxcaggyxxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.... the information is very helpfull...

We would like to rent a property so we can go straight in to it when we get there...but will they let us do that as we wont have a job right away.

Any advice is ace

caz
Old May 8th 2009, 11:01 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

You are unlikely to be able to rent anything other than a holiday rental with no jobs and on a WHV. Have you thought about a cabin in a caravan park? They have some nice spacious ones which are good value for money and easy to leave if you decide to travel around the country.
Old May 8th 2009, 11:14 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by natalieml
The terms on the WHV are that you can only work at one company for a max of 3 months (or they were when we went over there anyway - not sure if they have changed).
It's been changed to 6 months maximum with an employer now.
Old May 9th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

I think Cairns or Gold Coast would possibly tick the boxes for you.

Good luck!

www.realestate.com.au
www.domain.com.au
www.seek.com.au
www.careerone.com.au

Cheers
Old May 9th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

LiseM is an unknown quantity at this point

St Kilda - Melbourne. Area is on the beach front, buzzy with enough to see & do locally, close to the CBD either by tram or driving AND it's a rental mecca!
You will find a nice place to rent for that amount each week - possibly partially furnished - although these are few & far between.

I've just recently secured a flat myself in Melbourne whilst unemployed (newly arrived to Oz), no references, by offering to pay a few months rent up front. No problem securing a place that way!
Old May 10th 2009, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

M_IT_and_F_Nurse-26yrOld is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xxxcaggyxxx
Hey,

Me and my partner have decided to up and move from the uk! We have a applied for a working holiday visa, if we like it we will hopefully apply for a permantent visa....

Im 25, My partner 24..

Where should we move to...

We would like...

Near to the coast as possible
Max rent 0f $350 per week rent
Not to far away from a big city (about 30 min drive)
Be close to other brit (young couples)
Safe and Friendly
Lively atmosphere (ie- pubs ect!)

Any ideas on where we should be looking at moving?

Help

CAZ N JON
How do guys.

We moved over to perth in Jan 09 from the UK (both 26 @ the time) Its a great place, you have the beaches, city and the atmos in close range, ideal place if you like a chill and a party.

We regards to the finding somewhere to live before u come, its pretty hard, from exp. We had to book an holiday rental, and we got ripped off for 5 weeks ($700 a week for a nothing special) we spent the 4-5 weeks looking at 100's of places on the net, in the paper and going to see them. There is loads of ppl in the same boat. ie every prop we went to see had at least 4-5 cpls looking at it. In the end we got a nice little place, old, but it has a pool and close to the city and beaches for 18 months (paying $350 a week) which isnt bad considering.

Be careful before you pack up and come over. Work is very tight at the moment, i am still lookin for work, luckily my partner is a nurse and has been sponsored to work here, so fingers crossed i should get something soon.

Please dont have the idea that everything will be hunky dory when u arrive. Its hard and u will need some some good amount of cash in the bank to get through.

On the other hand, its a lovely place, friendly ppl and the weather is always cracking. 24 degrees today and next weekend is planned for 28 and we are not far off winter.

There is plenty of cpls on here, we are even planning a night out, so u have the right age mix.

Give us a shout if u need any help or info.

Cheers

dale
Old May 10th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It can be really hard to find work on a WHV sometimes, depending on where you are and the time of year. Most 'proper' jobs don't want someone for just 6 months, or they think you will leave before that to do some travelling (as this is what the visa is for). I would definatly not sign up for a rental without having found jobs first, as you may not, and may have to move on (I speak from experiance when I was on a WHV).
Sydney is a good place for finding work on a WHV, far easier in the winter when loads of people have followed the warmth up.

I really would not look at this visa as a chance to 'move' to Oz. Good luck
Old May 10th 2009, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You can rent furnished 2 bed places around Cairns for $250-300pw.
Would suggest you need to be somewhere before you rent, internet pictures can be very deceiving.
What type of work will you be looking for? You need to give serious consideration to the current situation in Aus!
Old May 13th 2009, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

BrightYellowGun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
It can be really hard to find work on a WHV sometimes, depending on where you are and the time of year. Most 'proper' jobs don't want someone for just 6 months, or they think you will leave before that to do some travelling (as this is what the visa is for).
Pumpkin, what do you think my chances are of getting a decent job (i.e. not in a shop or a bar - I'm not good with the public!) while on a WHV and living on a permanent basis with my Aussie boyfriend who has a good steady job? If I explain to them that I'm not going to bugger off travelling that should stand me in good stead right? I'm moving to the Central Coast in June, having a month off to settle in before I start looking for work.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:03 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BrightYellowGun
If I explain to them that I'm not going to bugger off travelling that should stand me in good stead right?
I imagine just about every backpacker tells the employer "I'm not going to bugger off travelling!" Perhaps explaining about your Aussie boyfriend might be more helpful.

Either way, while on a WHV you can only stay with an employer for a maximum of 6 months. So the best case scenario for an employer would be if they got 6 months out of you. You can't really promise to stay longer because legally you can't.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

BrightYellowGun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by comet555
I imagine just about every backpacker tells the employer "I'm not going to bugger off travelling!" Perhaps explaining about your Aussie boyfriend might be more helpful.

Either way, while on a WHV you can only stay with an employer for a maximum of 6 months. So the best case scenario for an employer would be if they got 6 months out of you. You can't really promise to stay longer because legally you can't.
Oh I'm not suggesting staying longer than 6 months with an employer, I know what the rules are and I'm far too much of a goody-two-shoes to break them!

I'm hoping to get some temp work/maternity leave cover, something like that.

And I'm not really a backpacker, since I'll be taking suitcases and settling into a nice little house in a middle-class suburb with the boyfriend.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BrightYellowGun
Oh I'm not suggesting staying longer than 6 months with an employer, I know what the rules are and I'm far too much of a goody-two-shoes to break them!

I'm hoping to get some temp work/maternity leave cover, something like that.

And I'm not really a backpacker, since I'll be taking suitcases and settling into a nice little house in a middle-class suburb with the boyfriend.
Sydney or Melbourne are the best places to live if you like the bright lights of a big city. We're in Sydney and love it. City life when you want it and amazing beaches only 15 mins away plus the weather is hot in summer and mild in winter. Bear in mind if you go way north you'll get flooding and unbearable heat, too far south and you'll get freezing winters. Too far west and you won't get much lol, unless you like the qiet life. Perth city is not much bigger than North Sydney, a small suburb in Sydney by the bridge.
Anyway good luck with the move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.