British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Young Carpenter moving out to Brisbane area in may...Any jobs??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/young-carpenter-moving-out-brisbane-area-may-any-jobs-597653/)

LeeLee Mar 15th 2009 11:04 am

Young Carpenter moving out to Brisbane area in may...Any jobs???

Hi all, My visa was granted just 3 days ago and my girlfriend and i are looking to move out in the second week in may. The thing is i'm a bit worried about the work situation in Australia especially for trades. It's really bad here so i haven't really got anything to keep me here but the last thing i want to do is be coming back home after a few months with just a tan to show for my efforts:rofl:. Does anyone have any advice or even job offers?:lol:

Thanks all.

Lee:thumbup:

ivanjjordan Mar 15th 2009 11:41 am

Re: Young Carpenter moving out to Brisbane area in may...Any jobs???

I'm WA mate and its pretty crap here at the min :( but the sun is shinin:thumbup:

calNgary Mar 16th 2009 9:32 am

You could try Wyaralong Dam project south west of brisbane they are asking for cv's for lots of trades.

LeeLee Mar 17th 2009 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan (Post 7381232)
I'm WA mate and its pretty crap here at the min :( but the sun is shinin:thumbup:

Yeh it doesn't look too good but it's not very good here either!:lol:

Just don't want to be struggling to find work whilst trying to settle in.

LeeLee Mar 17th 2009 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by calNgary (Post 7383914)
You could try Wyaralong Dam project south west of brisbane they are asking for cv's for lots of trades.

Cheers mate i'll give em a try.:thumbup:

jad n rich Mar 17th 2009 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by LeeLee (Post 7381131)
Hi all, My visa was granted just 3 days ago and my girlfriend and i are looking to move out in the second week in may. The thing is i'm a bit worried about the work situation in Australia especially for trades. It's really bad here so i haven't really got anything to keep me here but the last thing i want to do is be coming back home after a few months with just a tan to show for my efforts:rofl:. Does anyone have any advice or even job offers?:lol:

Thanks all.

Lee:thumbup:

Advice. You already know its slow right now, I guess you know all about the licence required to work as a carpenter here? If not get onto QBSA website, and or search on this forum, loads of info about it. In tough times trying to find work without it would be a bit of a worry. Good luck anyway.

LeeLee Mar 17th 2009 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 7390203)
Advice. You already know its slow right now, I guess you know all about the licence required to work as a carpenter here? If not get onto QBSA website, and or search on this forum, loads of info about it. In tough times trying to find work without it would be a bit of a worry. Good luck anyway.

I wasn't planning on working for myself straight away as i need to get settled a bit first. I will be working to live and that's it for the first few months i guess so i will labour if it comes to it.

jad n rich Mar 17th 2009 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by LeeLee (Post 7390398)
I wasn't planning on working for myself straight away as i need to get settled a bit first. I will be working to live and that's it for the first few months i guess so i will labour if it comes to it.

Most employers will want you to have a licence anyway. Most jobs for carpenters are not 40 hour a week "wages" , but casual, contract (length of job) or by the hour, nearly all will want the licence etc.

In the current economic climate, lots are applying for any job:blink:, to compete with guys with a licence would be rather hard IMO. Trade jobs went from several pages to 2 jobs in one weeks paper.

LeeLee Mar 17th 2009 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 7390451)
Most employers will want you to have a licence anyway. Most jobs for carpenters are not 40 hour a week "wages" , but casual, contract (length of job) or by the hour, nearly all will want the licence etc.

In the current economic climate, lots are applying for any job:blink:, to compete with guys with a licence would be rather hard IMO. Trade jobs went from several pages to 2 jobs in one weeks paper.

I see your point and it's very helpfull but i've heard the process for a licence is lengthy and costly and i'm not exactly made of money at the mo:lol:.

If the jobs aren't there then i will have to move on i guess.:(

Thanks for the advice though.:thumbup: