Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Young Carpenter moving out to Brisbane area in may...Any jobs???

Young Carpenter moving out to Brisbane area in may...Any jobs???

Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:04 am
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young Carpenter moving out to Brisbane area in may...Any jobs???

Hi all, My visa was granted just 3 days ago and my girlfriend and i are looking to move out in the second week in may. The thing is i'm a bit worried about the work situation in Australia especially for trades. It's really bad here so i haven't really got anything to keep me here but the last thing i want to do is be coming back home after a few months with just a tan to show for my efforts. Does anyone have any advice or even job offers?

Thanks all.

Lee
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:41 am
nail banger

ivanjjordan will become famous soon enoughivanjjordan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Young Carpenter moving out to Brisbane area in may...Any jobs???

I'm WA mate and its pretty crap here at the min but the sun is shinin
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

You could try Wyaralong Dam project south west of brisbane they are asking for cv's for lots of trades.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ivanjjordan
I'm WA mate and its pretty crap here at the min but the sun is shinin
Yeh it doesn't look too good but it's not very good here either!

Just don't want to be struggling to find work whilst trying to settle in.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by calNgary
You could try Wyaralong Dam project south west of brisbane they are asking for cv's for lots of trades.
Cheers mate i'll give em a try.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeLee
Hi all, My visa was granted just 3 days ago and my girlfriend and i are looking to move out in the second week in may. The thing is i'm a bit worried about the work situation in Australia especially for trades. It's really bad here so i haven't really got anything to keep me here but the last thing i want to do is be coming back home after a few months with just a tan to show for my efforts. Does anyone have any advice or even job offers?

Thanks all.

Lee
Advice. You already know its slow right now, I guess you know all about the licence required to work as a carpenter here? If not get onto QBSA website, and or search on this forum, loads of info about it. In tough times trying to find work without it would be a bit of a worry. Good luck anyway.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Advice. You already know its slow right now, I guess you know all about the licence required to work as a carpenter here? If not get onto QBSA website, and or search on this forum, loads of info about it. In tough times trying to find work without it would be a bit of a worry. Good luck anyway.
I wasn't planning on working for myself straight away as i need to get settled a bit first. I will be working to live and that's it for the first few months i guess so i will labour if it comes to it.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeLee
I wasn't planning on working for myself straight away as i need to get settled a bit first. I will be working to live and that's it for the first few months i guess so i will labour if it comes to it.
Most employers will want you to have a licence anyway. Most jobs for carpenters are not 40 hour a week "wages" , but casual, contract (length of job) or by the hour, nearly all will want the licence etc.

In the current economic climate, lots are applying for any job, to compete with guys with a licence would be rather hard IMO. Trade jobs went from several pages to 2 jobs in one weeks paper.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Most employers will want you to have a licence anyway. Most jobs for carpenters are not 40 hour a week "wages" , but casual, contract (length of job) or by the hour, nearly all will want the licence etc.

In the current economic climate, lots are applying for any job, to compete with guys with a licence would be rather hard IMO. Trade jobs went from several pages to 2 jobs in one weeks paper.
I see your point and it's very helpfull but i've heard the process for a licence is lengthy and costly and i'm not exactly made of money at the mo.

If the jobs aren't there then i will have to move on i guess.

Thanks for the advice though.