Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you taking winter clothes??

View Poll Results: Are you taking winter clothes ??
You bet ! Sun goes in, jumper on
38.71%
No chance ! Aussies are soft, won't need them
6.45%
No, but will buy those fur boots when I get there
3.23%
Taking some, leaving the thermals !
51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Are you taking winter clothes??

Old Mar 31st 2004, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Question Are you taking winter clothes??

Just got back from Sydney and all the shops have now got their winter clothes in - I'm talking sweaters, hats, gloves, scarves, fur lined coats and fur boots (I kid not!) etc etc !!

Personally, I was looking forward to ditching everything except jeans, shorts and t-shirts as it never goes below mid teens even in winter, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Now, maybe these Aussies know something about their own weather or they're a bunch of namby pamby softies

I think it must be that after months of glorious summer heat anything under 20c feels like the antarctic has blown in !

So what do ya reckon ?? Chuck out the woolies, we're used to it and their winter will seem like an average UK summer, or take the lot as it will feel just as cold as back home???
Old Mar 31st 2004, 4:56 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Its true, we moved to Melbourne in July, 5 years ago. I was wandering around in a T shirt & the Aussies had big jackets & coats on.
5 years later if it goes under 20 degrees the wife has the heating on, amazing how you become acclimatised through time.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 4:56 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you taking winter clothes??

I was in Sydeny 2 years ago at the end of April, and I remember walking across the bridge over Darling Harbour and I looked at the locals and compared them to what I was wearing, and you could tell I was the tourist.

I was wearing summer clothes, toes showing through my mules and a cardigan (what a fashion icon!! ). The locals were wearing boots, coats ie several more layer than what I was wearing.

So the winter clothes are going.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 5:51 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Are you taking winter clothes??

Originally posted by walaj
I was in Sydeny 2 years ago at the end of April, and I remember walking across the bridge over Darling Harbour and I looked at the locals and compared them to what I was wearing, and you could tell I was the tourist.

I was wearing summer clothes, toes showing through my mules and a cardigan (what a fashion icon!! ). The locals were wearing boots, coats ie several more layer than what I was wearing.

So the winter clothes are going.
Yeah, I was amazed at the very chic and over-warm-looking garb seen on the smart ladies around Circ Quay one year. There I was, in my Wallace & Grommit T shirt (it was all of 19C) and all these beaut suede boots, very un-PC fur coats and cashmere pashminas kept swishing past!

So, yes I'm taking my winter woollies to Melbourne! And if the weather doesn't give me a chance to wear my fave fuschia pink cashmere sweater, I'll just have to turn the aircon up to HIGH & enjoy.....

Anya.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Was going to take all our jumpers and cardis for the colder nights and as we are arriving in June may need them then.I was going to leave behind all our winter coats but maybe I should have a rethink
Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends upon where you are going - we're going to Cairns, so jumpers not really needed, but definetly rainmacs ( nice ) for the 'wet' season!

Also. as said before, you quickly become acclimatised to the heat and a few degrees drop and you can feel the difference.

I'd say pack whatever you think you will need.

We went from tropical bikini weather in cairns last summer to visiting melbourne and me rushing out to buy a jumper and a fleece jacket!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

I very rarely wear jumpers anyway, always in t-shirts, even in winter as I'm always too warm, I own a couple of jacket/fleece/hoody type things that I would rather wear when going out, but hubby wears about 5 layers to my 2 so we'll probably take his stuff.

I'll take the opportunity to buy a few choice items when I need them

sandy
Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:38 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by steandleigh
I think it depends upon where you are going - we're going to Cairns, so jumpers not really needed, but definetly rainmacs ( nice ) for the 'wet' season!

Also. as said before, you quickly become acclimatised to the heat and a few degrees drop and you can feel the difference.

We went from tropical bikini weather in cairns last summer to visiting melbourne and me rushing out to buy a jumper and a fleece jacket!

But I bet you loved the shopping in Melbourne Leigh.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by steandleigh

We were in Cairns two years ago this June when they had some of the coldest temperatures on record - down to 14c at night :scared:

Bloody typical as we only had shorts etc with us - as it was too cold to eat outside in the evenings
Old Mar 31st 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

It does depend on what part of Oz you are going to. Here in Adelaide, we are considered one of the hotter states, yet last night the temps dropped right down to 8 degrees.

Did you know that there are also parts of Oz where you can go (snow) skiing in winter?
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:34 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

In Perth temps can drop to 1 degree.

And about 10 or 15 during the day isn't warm, especially with practically no heating and insulation!

We are taking EVERYTHING!!
Do you guys know that a lot of people have electric blankets!! You turn it on an hour or so before you go to bed, and turn it off when you get in.

And I am so getting a heater in the bathroom!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:52 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

As said earlier you get acclimatised to the heat and you feel the cold when it hits. There is also something about the cold blasts firing up from antartica that is very penetrating. In Sydney (I presume it is the same elsewhere) the further you get from the ocean the colder it gets at night in winter.

During the day the temperature is fine but at night and early in the morning I have found myself wearing the overcoat a few times. In Sydney a few good jumpers are a necesity for winter.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Definately, was in Melbourne in November and froze!!!!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bondipom
As said earlier you get acclimatised to the heat and you feel the cold when it hits. There is also something about the cold blasts firing up from antartica that is very penetrating. In Sydney (I presume it is the same elsewhere) the further you get from the ocean the colder it gets at night in winter.

During the day the temperature is fine but at night and early in the morning I have found myself wearing the overcoat a few times. In Sydney a few good jumpers are a necesity for winter.
An overcoat ?? Is that with your wetsuit underneath and surf board under your arm ?? Or is surfing not a winter sport in Sydney ??
Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by podgypossum
It does depend on what part of Oz you are going to. Here in Adelaide, we are considered one of the hotter states, yet last night the temps dropped right down to 8 degrees.

Did you know that there are also parts of Oz where you can go (snow) skiing in winter?

Too right - bringing all my ski gear. Well chuffed I don't have to get rid of it !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.