Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you prepared to change?

Are you prepared to change?

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:54 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are you prepared to change?

The thread Is Australia Better got me thinking about stuff - namely it`s not better just different. I think you can`t go over there and expect life to carry on as if you moved a couple of streets away, you also can`t expect Australia and Australians to change for you - you are the one who has to adapt. How far are people prepared to change their outlook and more fundamentally who they are - does it have a lot to do with your reasons for making the move in the first place? (I`m probably talking a lot rubbish as usual but it`s really made me think)
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you prepared to change?

Good point
If I thought it was going to be like the uk with sunshine I wouldnt be going.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:27 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hilary6
Good point
I agree, but
how often have you heard this

hi we have the best holiday ever in spain/greece/turkey etc
it was fantastic we found this pub that did British breakfasts
and they had Tetley bitter and walkers crisps
so we didn’t have to eat any of that foreign shite

stereo typical
or is just me that thinks that a lot of British people do expect
foreign countries to be an extension of their own back yard
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Good point
Its amazing how people are so different in their feelings and expectations. I expected....I really don't know what I expected. To me your comment is exactly how I feel. Am I disappointed - no I'm not. There are things that are good about australia and things that aren't, the same as the UK really. Things are different here, but to me it still feels similar to the UK with better weather. Life goes on the same, you go to work, you come home. I havent had a summer here yet and thats when I think the real difference will begin to show, whether it will be good or bad remains to be seen but as of this moment I am happy and the kids love it which is important.

Jo
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:46 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point
there is no sunshine where we are going, so I thought it would be like the Uk without the sunshine
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:47 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it`s a case of going out and just hoping to get a job and make a living try something different and perhaps be pleasantly suprised , or go out there hope to get a job with brilliant money so only one has to work, a 4 x 2 house with pool for under $200,000 (as if!) and possibly be disappointed to find that you are working every hour god sends and you`re unhappy. Is it all about expectations, which drives how much your willing to bend and adapt?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:39 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Must admit I find it quite exciting to think that nobody there really knows me so I could totally reinvent myself.....
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
Must admit I find it quite exciting to think that nobody there really knows me so I could totally reinvent myself.....
thats just what I was thinking the other day, new life clean slate and all that. Sounds good to me
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:45 pm
Im a woomaaan

LOL - yes your right - at last I can become that 6ft skinny blonde thats always been inside my dumpy brunette 5`3" frame!!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:46 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I think you do that quite enough already thankyou.
(Avatar)
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

now youre scaring me!! :scared:

had any operations recently B??
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rooksie
now youre scaring me!! :scared:

had any operations recently B??
Talking of operations I'm going to get my tits done when we get over there, looked into it here but gotta have a couple of years follow up so decided to wait till I get there.

Anyone had or can recommend any cosmetic surgeons out there?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:53 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Talking of operations I'm going to get my tits done when we get over there, looked into it here but gotta have a couple of years follow up so decided to wait till I get there.

Anyone had or can recommend any cosmetic surgeons out there?
Good decision.

I would recommend at least two full years of hand rearing.
Are you coming to Cairns to live ?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
Good decision.

I would recommend at least two full years of hand rearing.
Are you coming to Cairns to live ?
oooo Bixie you are naughty
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:36 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
The thread Is Australia Better got me thinking about stuff - namely it`s not better just different. I think you can`t go over there and expect life to carry on as if you moved a couple of streets away, you also can`t expect Australia and Australians to change for you - you are the one who has to adapt. How far are people prepared to change their outlook and more fundamentally who they are - does it have a lot to do with your reasons for making the move in the first place? (I`m probably talking a lot rubbish as usual but it`s really made me think)
It's not so much the having to fundamentally change it's more of a getting used to doing things in a different way. Little things you notice like chocolate tasting different, making gravy with a different product to bisto and mint sauce tasting like piss weak vinegar instead of Coleman's original don't really make for an uncomfortable life do they?
We've found it's more a case of adapt improvise and overcome.
I never drank lager in the U.K yet here it's just about all you can buy, there are some very nice exceptions made by Coopers & Little Creatures, though the answer is if you don't like it brew your own, problem solved.
Deb loathes the taste of smoked bacon and ham the answer was to buy a joint of pickled pork and get the butcher to slice it into rashers. I miss proper mint sauce on my lamb shanks so we've planted some mint and I'm experimenting with it and balsamic vinegar
Sure you can't buy your favourite underdaks here but "Bonds" are very comfy and the elastic lasts loads longer
The speed limits are often commented on yet change the k's for miles and the difference is negligible it's just that they are enforced far more rigidly than the U.K, the answer is simple, though it took a while and 9 points in 5 weeks for me to realise , you just have to slow down and take your time.
Just a case of adapting improvising and overcoming.
Now I'd best get off to sleep as I've just celebrated my anniversary for the second time this week and one shouldn't post pissed as it probably reads like twaddle in the morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.