Reload this Page >

Are You moving to Adelaide?

Are You moving to Adelaide?

Old Sep 10th 2003, 11:54 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Are You moving to Adelaide?

Hi All
We are currently going through the migration process under the STNI scheme. I have had my qualifications approved, I have been nominated by South Australia, and have been asked to send off for my police clearance certificates. Things seem to be moving really quickly. We are expecting to immigrate to Adelaide in March / April 2004 house sale, Medicals and PR Visa permitting.

Can anybody recommend nice areas to live in. By nice areas they dont have to be the most expensive areas.

We have twin boys who will be 13, and 2 girls who will be 11 and 8.

We are hoping to find somewhere which is near schools, leafy suburbs that sort of thing. The estate agents bless em that we have contacted in Adelaide keep sending us information for ranch style properties in the middle of nowhere about 30 + kilometres outside the city.
We have no friends or family in Australia so why they want hide us away in the outback, we have no idea? (They must have been tipped off.)
Also we would love to hear from anybody else immigrating to South Australia who like us has either going through the process or is already there.
Cheers
Old Sep 10th 2003, 12:59 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You moving to Adelaide?

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
Hi All
We are currently going through the migration process under the STNI scheme. I have had my qualifications approved, I have been nominated by South Australia, and have been asked to send off for my police clearance certificates. Things seem to be moving really quickly. We are expecting to immigrate to Adelaide in March / April 2004 house sale, Medicals and PR Visa permitting.

Can anybody recommend nice areas to live in. By nice areas they dont have to be the most expensive areas.

We have twin boys who will be 13, and 2 girls who will be 11 and 8.

We are hoping to find somewhere which is near schools, leafy suburbs that sort of thing. The estate agents bless em that we have contacted in Adelaide keep sending us information for ranch style properties in the middle of nowhere about 30 + kilometres outside the city.
We have no friends or family in Australia so why they want hide us away in the outback, we have no idea? (They must have been tipped off.)
Also we would love to hear from anybody else immigrating to South Australia who like us has either going through the process or is already there.
Cheers
AB do your home work, look back through this forum, and all will be answered, 30km out side of Adelaide is about a 20min drive at the best of times ,rush hour,35 mins .... MM
Old Sep 10th 2003, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

The McGintys is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We too are planning to move to Adelaide, however we are still in the early stages of our skills assessment (TRA Bricklayer) application and then going for designated area sponsored visa. We also have 2 children: two boys 2.5 and 11 months.

We are lucky enough to have lots of family who live in Adelaide and they have been recommending area's to live. We have been told that most of East Adelaide is very good with good state schools. A few area's that we have looked at are, Norwood, Burnside, campbelltown, st Peters & Blackwood.

We are intending to rent to start with and then make a decision about where to buy once we have settled in.

I dont know how long it will take us to get our visa as the timescales seem to vary so much. However the visa we will be applying for is supposed to be fast tracked & should take 4-6 months to process, however I wont be holding my breath!!!

Good Luck with your application
Daihla
PS How do your children feel about going?
Old Sep 10th 2003, 1:55 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by The McGintys
Hi,
We too are planning to move to Adelaide, however we are still in the early stages of our skills assessment (TRA Bricklayer) application and then going for designated area sponsored visa. We also have 2 children: two boys 2.5 and 11 months.

We are lucky enough to have lots of family who live in Adelaide and they have been recommending area's to live. We have been told that most of East Adelaide is very good with good state schools. A few area's that we have looked at are, Norwood, Burnside, campbelltown, st Peters & Blackwood.

We are intending to rent to start with and then make a decision about where to buy once we have settled in.

I dont know how long it will take us to get our visa as the timescales seem to vary so much. However the visa we will be applying for is supposed to be fast tracked & should take 4-6 months to process, however I wont be holding my breath!!!

Good Luck with your application
Daihla
PS How do your children feel about going?

Hi Daihla

Thanks for your reply.
I applied to have my skills approved at the start of July as an Electricial Engineer. The approval came back on the 2nd of August.
I sent my STNI application to south Australia on the 7th of August along with proof of funds TRA Certification etc. Went on Holiday with the family on the 8th of August. Came back from holiday on the 22nd to find an e-mail from South Australia dated the 15th august nominating me for STNI. (Who says this process takes a long time.)
I have since been asked to get my police clearance certificates sent away for as apparently it can take up to 40 working days.
We are awaiting confirmation from DIMIA to carry out our medicals.
We are shocked at the speed things seem to be going. We have put our house on the market in the last couple of weeks in the hope that it sells before the christmas slump in sales.

We will check out the areas you have suggested, Many thanks.

The Question about the children is a good one.
The Children have been away from home for long periods of time in the past the last time being when I was working in singapore for a year. They seemed to get accustomed to living in that part of the world very easily.
We know that it will be a nigtmare when it comes to them saying goodbye to their school friends and so on, but we expect that they will quickly make friends with kids in Australia as well.
Nowadays with e-mails and webcams the world is much smaller, They will all be in contact via the internet with their friends.
A lot of our friends are promising to come out for a holiday when we settle. So hopefully they will keep there word.
Anyway good luck to with your application will probably be working on the same sites as your husband.
PS did you use an agent to get your TRA Skills approved? We could not believe how far back we had to go for references, and the detailed dates required.
Good luck and keep in touch
Tom Donna and Kids
Old Sep 10th 2003, 2:25 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Default Re: Are You moving to Adelaide?

Originally posted by mr mover
AB do your home work, look back through this forum, and all will be answered, 30km out side of Adelaide is about a 20min drive at the best of times ,rush hour,35 mins .... MM
MM thanks for your reply
I have been looking through the forums, Some suggestions have been places like Westbourne park, Stirling, Goodwood etc..
Some have suggested Golden Grove, others have ridiculed it. Apparently the butt of locals jokes.
I suppose I am hoping to get a shortlist of areas that seem popular so that We can look at them when we get out there and make a decision.
The thing about the estate agents is that in our requests we asked for example a 4 + bedroom house with of course a Pool (being a poms dream). What we are getting sent through are houses with no pool but with 6 & 7 bedrooms in Munro para west for example.
If you think Munro para west is a nice area I will add it to my list to check out.
I take your point that 30 Killometres outside Adelaide is a short journey, but it takes some getting used to when you know that a 30 K journey into London will take a couple of days give or take an hour.
Anyway hope you are enjoying life in Adelaide and would value any advice you could give.

Cheers
Tom, Donna and Kids
Old Sep 10th 2003, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

there was a recent spat about the north/south parts of adelaide..
do a search and see..

there are several people that post regularly here nara, mash, adelaide girl, mr mover sundrise(sorry if i missed some ;-))

all will give their own perspective on adelaide and where to live..

cheers

richard
Old Sep 10th 2003, 3:56 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by r.bartlett
there was a recent spat about the north/south parts of adelaide..
do a search and see..

there are several people that post regularly here nara, mash, adelaide girl, mr mover sundrise(sorry if i missed some ;-))

all will give their own perspective on adelaide and where to live..

cheers

richard

Thanks Richard
Old Sep 10th 2003, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

goodwnsherratts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Adelaide bound
We too are going to South Oz probably next year, going on holiday there in 2 weeks and 3 days not that I am counting!
We put our STNI (nursing) in end of june and asked like you end of august for police checks and medicals police checks went in a week last friday and had medicals this monday, they seemed ok. Dont know where in the country you live we went to huddersfield which is not too far away and it was all ok.
So just waiting for the blood tests to come back and doctros will send everything off. Friends of ours who applied earlier this year had their visa through two weeks after they were all sent off so hold on to your hat.
As well as this good website there is also adelaide brits on yahoo groups which has been very helpful they are also having there first meet up in Adelaide in october. only avery small group so not too long to trawl through all the posts if your sad like me!
Some of us also meet up occasionally its nice to know you have some friends there before you leave especially the kids. Like you we have no family there so are going in blind re areas etc.
Regards Jill
Old Sep 10th 2003, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the best way you could find the suburb for you is to work backwards. Would you prefer the beach or the hills, do you mind commuting? Where is your work likely to be situated? How much do you want to spend. If you start of with these types of questions it should narrow it down for you.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi AB

we're also off to Adelaide.
as Jill has already mentioned look up the yahoo group Adelaide Brits - a few of us are members & there's lots of good local links & info.

we're hoping to be in Adelaide next March - Hubby, andy, is a special class electrician & we just got STNI in August too.

we've already sent off our police checks & are having meds done in 2 weeks (not been requested by ASPC - but want those visas!!)

where are you from in the UK (assumption!)??

Hazel
Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:08 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Cool

Originally posted by goodwnsherratts
Hi Adelaide bound
We too are going to South Oz probably next year, going on holiday there in 2 weeks and 3 days not that I am counting!
We put our STNI (nursing) in end of june and asked like you end of august for police checks and medicals police checks went in a week last friday and had medicals this monday, they seemed ok. Dont know where in the country you live we went to huddersfield which is not too far away and it was all ok.
So just waiting for the blood tests to come back and doctros will send everything off. Friends of ours who applied earlier this year had their visa through two weeks after they were all sent off so hold on to your hat.
As well as this good website there is also adelaide brits on yahoo groups which has been very helpful they are also having there first meet up in Adelaide in october. only avery small group so not too long to trawl through all the posts if your sad like me!
Some of us also meet up occasionally its nice to know you have some friends there before you leave especially the kids. Like you we have no family there so are going in blind re areas etc.
Regards Jill
Hi Jill and Family
We come from Bexleyheath Kent which borders London.
I think the process better hurry up otherwise I will be bankrupt.
This immigration thing just takes over your life.
I think we have spent more time in this forum today than actually doing any work. Shame on us.
We will have a go at finding the adelaide brits forum on the Yahoo website.
It is quite comforting to know were not the only ones going it alone next year.
Your right this is a great web site even if its for some of the characters and the banter that flies about.
Well hopefully the house will sell quickly which is the next big target. We are wondering whether to take the SA Goverment up on their offer for the meet and greet service, and the 3 month accommodation offer, but as somebody said in an earlier forum we are worried that we might end up in a crack den somewhere or a red light flashing outside the house next door.
Anyway have a great holiday it will be great to hear from you all when you get back.
Cheers for now
Tom Donna & Kids
Old Sep 10th 2003, 6:57 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by HazelG
Hi AB

we're also off to Adelaide.
as Jill has already mentioned look up the yahoo group Adelaide Brits - a few of us are members & there's lots of good local links & info.

we're hoping to be in Adelaide next March - Hubby, andy, is a special class electrician & we just got STNI in August too.

we've already sent off our police checks & are having meds done in 2 weeks (not been requested by ASPC - but want those visas!!)

where are you from in the UK (assumption!)??

Hazel
Hi Hazel and Andy
You never know we may be working together. (Small town Adelaide)
Please let me know if I can help with any questions or compare removal companies things to bring etc. it is good to talk.
We are from Bexleyheath Kent just outside London, We were contemplating getting our medicals done in advance, but have held back up to now. We may do it now that we know somebody else who has taken the plunge in advance. (We want those visas to)
I am hoping to get work in Adelaide for the first year and to get to know how it all ticks out there before deciding whether to set up my own business as I have here.
Keep in touch let us know how you are progressing, We promise to do the same.
Cheers for now.
Tom Donna and Kids

PS We have only just worked out how to get that drinking beer smile on to our e-mails.

PS We have joined the Adelaide brits site as advised by You and Jill
Old Sep 10th 2003, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again!

some friends of ours are going out this weekend (in fact 3 families this weekend) and some others next wekend!!

most are members of Ad Brits, so keep an eye out for uptodate info from the newly-arrived bunch!

we're probably going to use the meet n greet service etc - for peace of mind basically.
we've got 2 girls (8 & 6) so would like to know we have some sort of accomodation sorted out.

anyway we'll let you know how the medicals go.
once they're passed (optimistic!), then I'll be handing in my notice to finish work at Christmas. I'll do supply teaching until we go.
House will be up for sale during October, so hopefully things will all fall in place for March.

Hazel
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,We leave for adelaide on the 21st of september.We will be looking at the coastal stretch between glenelg and seacliff which is quite expensive but fantastic if you like coastal life.Also like the look of henley beach,but hey,go from north haven to the most southern beaches and you wont find anywhere horrible.For hills stirling was my favorite.best of luck jockney
Old Sep 10th 2003, 9:35 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

Originally posted by jockney
Hi,We leave for adelaide on the 21st of september.We will be looking at the coastal stretch between glenelg and seacliff which is quite expensive but fantastic if you like coastal life.Also like the look of henley beach,but hey,go from north haven to the most southern beaches and you wont find anywhere horrible.For hills stirling was my favorite.best of luck jockney

Jockney
Thanks for the advice. A friend of ours has given us exactly the same areas ie glenelg for beach, stirling for hills.
Hope your move goes smoothly, What will you be doing out there?
Good luck for the future and keep in touch.
Cheers
Tom Donna & Kids

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.